What's new

Nodoyuna

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi...

I'm going to buy a 20" PVM monitor, as I want to have a 20" setup too

I don't want to pay 2000$ plus shipping that are asked for the best BVM monitors

I have a good price on a PVM-20L2MD

Is this monitor a good option for 15KHz gaming?

If not, which 20" monitor would you recommend?

I'm open to other brands too

Thanks in advance

the simple answer is get what you can now and worry about getting the best as they become available...it will depends on preference and eye site.. I like the PVM 20L5 over the others PVM/BVM because it is light weight and can handle 240p-720p..the 20L5 is my PVM of choice, others like the BVM24 series..etc..

I have a good price on a PVM-20L2MD

Is this monitor a good option for 15KHz gaming?
Absolutely.

If you can get one for a cheap price, jump on it. I have the 14" model of it. It's a nice monitor.

I've got a 20L5, it is magnificent. My retro console gaming TV of choice for sure.

Thanks for the anwers

It seems it's a good option, but maybe not the best

I saw a 20L5 on ebay, but it's like 1200$ plus shipping costs and maybe customs cost too, so I think it will be risky to get it from USA to Spain and get undamaged, besides it's a bit on the expensive side...

Last edited:
Im not sure if you have access in Spain but look for businesses that sell old medical supplies/medical supply liquidators, etc- PVM's of all kinds have been widely used in the medical field and if you get lucky you can pick them up for next to nothing at one of these places

Have a PVM-20M4 that works wonderfully with NES, SNES, TG16/PCE, MD/Gen, Saturn, PS2, N64, Gamecube, and CPS2 arcade boards with the HAS supergun.

Also have a BVM-D20F1 that does the above, plus runs great with Dreamcast and Naomi.

The PVM-20L2MD should work well for 240p/480i.

Any PVM with RGB is nice for retro gaming. Not all models have RGB though so check first.

If you see any available, I recommend the Ikegami Tm20 series over the PVMs for old arcade games. I have a TM20-90RH which was their top of the line BVM20 competitor. I like the Ikegami as they have curved screens and better geometry. Both are great though. They have amazing contrast with deep dark blacks.

Don't forget about JVC! The TM-H1950CG is a criminally overlooked CRT imo. The only downside is it does not come with native RGB/Component input like the comparable PVMs, but easily added with an option card (usually see them go for $50-75 on eBay)

As stated earlier the PVM-xxL5 is widely regarded as the best because it can do 480p and up to 720p. Just about all of the other PVMs will only do up to 480i.

If anyone is in the Los Angeles area (Valencia, near Magic Mountain) and willing to pickup I have about 10+ Sony PVM-20M2U, Sony PVM-1954Q, and JVC TM-1H1950CG available.

for the record I like my BVM-1915 better than my PVM-20L5. It is standard res only but it looks better, in my opinion, for standard res content. The bvm is also deeper (24” to be comfortable with cables attached) so that’s to be considered as well.

I would also never ship one of these above 14”. Find one you can pick up yourself, even if it takes a while.

Larger CRT's can be shipped if the seller knows what they are doing.

I picked up one of the last new 29" CRT monitors from Happ recently. It was double boxed and well padded for shipping. Arrived without a scratch or a dent. Same with my 25" Billabs CRT.

On the other hand, I once got a free Ikegami TM20-90rh (comparable to a BVM20 in price and specs) because the front power button got cracked in shipping. The eBay seller gave me a refund and I repaired the cracked casing.

As much as eBay sellers like to state that they are not responsible for shipping damage, they always are. If stuff arrives in a way that is not as described, you get your money back.

Back