What's new

Wraith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got the windy gaming atp 300 super gun. It has two switches on the back. One is “sync cleaner - on/off” and the other is “audio attenuater- on/off”

I am running cps3 w/ darksoft superbios into a 32” standard def Sony trinitron crt using the provided S-video cables.

Can someone explain exactly what these switches do? Should I have them on or off? Can the sync cleaner introduce any lag?

Leave audio attenuation ON.

Sync cleaner can be left off but I can't say for certain as I don't know how it's wired. Hopefully it's attenuated properly, have heard horror stories regarding this supergun.

Perhaps I should also note that the sound runs from CPS3 external stereo RCA ---> TV ---> TV audio OUT ---> to vintage amplifier ---> 2 sony speakers

Leave audio attenuation ON.

Sync cleaner can be left off but I can't say for certain as I don't know how it's wired. Hopefully it's attenuated properly, have heard horror stories regarding this supergun.
Please elaborate if you would

So I’m pretty sure turning on audio attenuator causes my video signal to go all glitchy and flickery. Didn’t happen at all yesterday, turned on audio attenuator this evening, graphics glitched after a couple minutes, turned it off and played through arcade mode perfectly.

Did you still want me to elaborate?

If audio attenuation is affecting video something is seriously wrong.

I can't speak first hand, just echo the reports I've read of it damaging arcade boards (blown amplifier ICs), scart switchers, monitors and the OSSC. Poor video quality output, interference in the video and audio signal and inadequate power supply.

It's a budget made supergun at an upper end price.

Seriously brother get a HAS.. you might damage your SF3 setup with that thing. The HAS is what the community uses because it is a quality Supergun, tested and it is ridiculously cheap.

Man, I'm sorry you spend $300+ on that Supergun. The company seems OK, but they have not been open about getting feedback on the design choices they made with it.

Since you are new here and people are being pretty direct, let me see if I be a little more, political...

1. The Supergun of choice on these forums is the Home Arcade System (HAS). It is well made, relatively inexpensive, and will work with just about any game anyone has thrown at it! (not the game Buccaneers though, seriously, f-that game!).

2. There are some other SGs coming out, from members here, that will also be game changers at their price points, something to look into in the future.

3. The ATP you've bought started out with a splash, but quickly got a lot of flake for blowing out the GSCART switch, which is a well made product and instead of working to figure out what was wrong, the company decided to blame the switch maker, a hobbyist who by all accounts, much like the guys on here, knows what he's doing (it was the ATP at fault).

4. It's hard to understand how something that costs so much can actually be not as good as a product that costs much less (the HAS), but trust us, it is. However, not all is lost...

5. Open that bad boy up, and take some pictures, detailed pictures, of the insides. Focus on some of the wiring. These pictures may help the awesome members of these forums to help you out with any technical problems. I'm not sure the company that sold you the ATP will do the same.

Finally, welcome to the forums. Don't be discouraged by your SG. If you get it working OK, it can still help you enjoy all these awesome arcade classics. People here just don't want you to damage your system or your PCBs!

The LAST thing I want to do is damage the CPS3. I will open it up and take some pictures.

SNKNEOGEO warned me in person about this, I was just too eager to get it running.

Also, don't use the ATP-300 to rewrite 3rd Strike. For some reason, the ATP-300 seems to write games faster compared to other SG's, and that causes certain matches in-game to have considerable slowdown.

Also, don't use the ATP-300 to rewrite 3rd Strike. For some reason, the ATP-300 seems to write games faster compared to other SG's, and that causes certain matches in-game to have considerable slowdown.
I’m a little perplexed by this comment. I’ve been playing arcade mode the last couple days and havnt noticed anything abnormal. Do you mean slowdown like Super Nintendo slow down?

I’m a little perplexed by this comment. I’ve been playing arcade mode the last couple days and havnt noticed anything abnormal. Do you mean slowdown like Super Nintendo slow down?
Not that bad like SNES Alpha 2, but you will notice it. It usually happens during the actual match for maybe a full second and then its back to normal. I’ve had it happen to me when playing it on a friend’s ATP-300. If you’re not getting any issues like that then that is great to hear. But because of the many issues that has been surrounding that SG, I would always be cautious when running games on it.

the problem is that the path to other superguns is confusing and difficult. The windy gaming Supergun has its own website and store. At this point I don’t even know how to obtain a HAS

Home Arcade System - new supergun sets

That is the original tread... I am not sure if they are avabilable at this moment but you can PM RGB and ask when they are going to be available..

also - let RGB know that you need the component/composite/ module since you are using a Sony consumer CRT and not an RGB professional monitor.. The HAS standard is for RGB professional monitor.

Not sure what the sync cleaner does myself, being a complete novice to this hobby.

I’ve had no issues with this supergun, yet. However, I play occasionally and haven’t put serious time into testing.

While I’ve read the maker’s warnings and read various forum anecdotes, I don’t have a gscartsw so that drama hasn’t affected me directly.

I’ve used this supergun with a Sunset Riders board, CPS2 boards, cps3, and a neo geo mv1fs. All on a pvm20m2u via svideo and rgb. Again, no issues, yet.

Additionally, I managed to procure a HAS and it has worked very, very well.

Finally, for the community. Here are some snaps of the internals from my atp 300. I recall seeing a mod to the power supply that
included a potentiometer and voltage led. Maybe some forum members have ideas on how to improve the unit and prevent issues with the atp 300.

Attachments

• 2E2337CD-2280-4087-B2A3-272AE2F25226.jpeg
    2E2337CD-2280-4087-B2A3-272AE2F25226.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 533
  • E581DE2B-8310-4111-B616-79BE13F4FE4F.jpeg
    E581DE2B-8310-4111-B616-79BE13F4FE4F.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 532
  • 6FD16C2A-74CC-4F41-89BC-B537544268CF.jpeg
    6FD16C2A-74CC-4F41-89BC-B537544268CF.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 517
  • C564D647-0980-481C-B76B-BF875A23E611.jpeg
    C564D647-0980-481C-B76B-BF875A23E611.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 484
  • 4362A4BA-1D88-4D2F-8E6A-7DB89FD89A82.jpeg
    4362A4BA-1D88-4D2F-8E6A-7DB89FD89A82.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 468
  • BC3B510B-6AC0-45B1-9942-2F02618D08BA.jpeg
    BC3B510B-6AC0-45B1-9942-2F02618D08BA.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 501
^^Thank you for your post. At this point, I have sync cleaner and audio atten. OFF, and have had no issues. I’ve left the cps3 on for hours now, no graphical issues and I don’t feel any excess heat.

I am also a novice. I’m emailing Chris from windy gaming regarding the issues.

I would be open to buying a HAS, but then I need to research power supplys, A/V options, and controller options. The HAS is not an ALL IN ONE solution and I’m new to this stuff.

but then I need to research power supplys, A/V options, and controller options.
Almost everything you could want to know is in the HAS thread. It's a billion pages long, and super informative with lots of "This worked awesome for me" and "This one not so much" etc.

I don't know anything about the Windy supergun beyond what's in this thread, but I have multiple friends with the HAS and they're nice.

Thanks for the pics.

CXA1145 for processing video, RGB attenuated via fixed resistor voltage divider, composite / s-video generated here too.

LM1881 for sync cleaner. Can't see how sync is being attenuated, which would explain people having other devices damaged like their OSSC / scart switches.

Audio isn't handled correctly, not DC blocked, I can see why people have had equipment damaged. Assumes PIN L is grounded when it is not, it's the inverting pin in some cases.

Basic design with some fundamental flaws.

Is it safe for me to experiment with the switches on and off?

Back