What's new

rewrite

Multi Boyz Litigator
Immortal
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
I'm awful at this. What's this guy?

ofa1U1C.jpg

Looks like a Germanium? diode, made some project back in school long time back using it.

They do in terms of voltage and amp ratings.

Where's it located, power, input, audio etc?

If it's not associated with power something like UF4004 will suffice.

They are also polarised so install the replacement in the same orientation. The stripe denotes the cathode end.

It's in series with a few other diodes and a couple resistors after a 3.6V battery.

Unfortunately the top one got melted with battery acid :/.

73OMmsu.jpg

It's the missing component right above the battery.

I think it's protecting the battery from reverse voltage.

Pretty much any diode will do I think, just get something rated for at least 1 amp.

I think it's protecting the battery from reverse voltage.

Pretty much any diode will do I think, just get something rated for at least 1 amp.
Thank you!

I scavenged one from a different computer for now, but I'll need to replace it when I work on that one.

Specifically they are silicon diodes you can find also on arcade PCB and other japanese electronics.Part number is 1S1588 from Toshiba.

Specifically they are silicon diodes you can find also on arcade PCB and other japanese electronics.Part number is 1S1588 from Toshiba.
Thank you. Just put in an order for a mess of them.

I used to have some zener diodes in my old parts bin like that. As a kid I would wire backwards to release the smoke just for the fun of it O_o.

Also if that battery is old, go ahead and chop it or de-solder it unless its powering some kind of suicide encryption code. When I used to fix MVS's the first thing I did was chop the battery and replace it with a coin cell. Those batteries are ticking time bombs.

What exactly is this board for if you don't mind my asking?? ?(

I do love a good repair story :thumbup:

Also if that battery is old, go ahead and chop it or de-solder it unless its powering some kind of suicide encryption code. When I used to fix MVS's the first thing I did was chop the battery and replace it with a coin cell. Those batteries are ticking time bombs.

All the batteries have been chopped! I replaced them with the same NiMH 3.6v that were in there to begin with. They aren't exactly cheap, or quick to arrive, but I was unsure about the charging circuit and didn't want to muck things up with the wrong battery. So I went with drop-in replacements.

I've been refurbishing Sharp x68000 computers for the past couple weeks here. I'm planning on reselling them. Most of the hold-up has been waiting on batteries/connectors. They've made for fun side-projects, but I'm beginning to hate dealing with repairing floppy drives. I'd like to throw HxC's in them and ignore the floppies altogether, but I think they'd be a tougher sell from both a purist standpoint, and a pricing standpoint.

All the batteries have been chopped! I replaced them with the same NiMH 3.6v that were in there to begin with. They aren't exactly cheap, or quick to arrive, but I was unsure about the charging circuit and didn't want to muck things up with the wrong battery. So I went with drop-in replacements.
I've been refurbishing Sharp x68000 computers for the past couple weeks here. I'm planning on reselling them. Most of the hold-up has been waiting on batteries/connectors. They've made for fun side-projects, but I'm beginning to hate dealing with repairing floppy drives. I'd like to throw HxC's in them and ignore the floppies altogether, but I think they'd be a tougher sell from both a purist standpoint, and a pricing standpoint.
AHHHHH, I knew that looked like a x68000 main board!!! Lucky ;)

I love those PC's. I wish you the best in your restoration.
Thats really interesting actually. For one I used to repair and restore old 80s and 90s computers.
Second I actually repair and resell modded consoles, usually saturns and dreamcast. Gotten pretty damn good at it too.

If you can find the recharge circuit or controller chip you could probably disable it or just use rechargeable coin cells. Either way I can understand just buying a drop in part and calling it a day too. NiMH is a bit better than those old NiCd batteries anyways. Either way its an upgrade

Best of luck!

Either way I can understand just buying a drop in part and calling it a day too. NiMH is a bit better than those old NiCd batteries anyways. Either way its an upgrade

Best of luck!
I think I would install a connector on the motherboard and move the battery somewhere else that if it leaks it doesn't damage anything.

AHHHHH, I knew that looked like a x68000 main board!!! Lucky ;)

I love those PC's. I wish you the best in your restoration.
Thats really interesting actually. For one I used to repair and restore old 80s and 90s computers.
Second I actually repair and resell modded consoles, usually saturns and dreamcast. Gotten pretty damn good at it too.

If you can find the recharge circuit or controller chip you could probably disable it or just use rechargeable coin cells. Either way I can understand just buying a drop in part and calling it a day too. NiMH is a bit better than those old NiCd batteries anyways. Either way its an upgrade

Best of luck!
Out of interest, how much does a refurbished Saturn sell for? I've been thinking of picking one up for light gun games.

Back