What's new
Likewise, not a fan. Same place had a few astros as well which were of interest to me. Ultimately thought it was a super shady 'negotiation' sort of setup where there was no indication of what they wanted. There were also some people suggesting that the title to the cabs might be in question, although I have no idea if that's right.

Tonjo is quite right, it was vic.

Here's the pic:

fetch

Seems like everything in Sydney gets snapped up by the same few people pretty quick.
I'm guilty of trying to snap something up as quick as I can... I got lucky with a recent purchase for 200 for an astro...

Not the greatest condition - probably the worst out of my two astros, but for 200 I couldn't really complain.

Dead chassis - which has been sent to Joey and a new CP will be required, so there's a few hundred more.

I don't "flip" though - I just have the argument with the mrs asking about where the hell it's going to fit :D

Seems like everything in Sydney gets snapped up by the same few people pretty quick.
I'm guilty of trying to snap something up as quick as I can... I got lucky with a recent purchase for 200 for an astro...
Not the greatest condition - probably the worst out of my two astros, but for 200 I couldn't really complain.

Dead chassis - which has been sent to Joey and a new CP will be required, so there's a few hundred more.

I don't "flip" though - I just have the argument with the mrs asking about where the hell it's going to fit :D
$200 for an Astro that needs a chassis refurb and a new CP is still a great deal.

The eternal struggle of arcade collecting "where am I going to put this?"

Yeah, honestly can't complain. Still not as cheap as the other one I got for 150 - same issue, vertical collapse and dodgy CP

The only reason I'm wanting a new CP is because I'm going to make it a head to head (or side to side) setup. Once I get some cash together, I'll be hitting Alberto up for 2x 1L6B panels.

If it wasn't for that, I'd easily just throw my blast 2L8B and call it a day.

Yeah stuff is getting snapped up quick. Particularly anything that looks like value. I’ll also be interested to see how long the ACs/NACs sit in Newcastle, at those prices.

I can't see them selling the OG Astro's for 1300 and the NAC's for 1500.

Even at the sale price of 900 and 1000, I still can't see it flying out the door.

Maybe at 600/800 respectively, people might become a little more tempted, but the fact that they're 110v means they still have to be converted to work in AU (or buy an external tranny), leads me to believe they won't be flying out the door.

Those highway ones are just rude IMO. For those prices I'd expect at least some decent photos of each unit. I've been tempted to ask if I can go and inspect one but don't really feel like putting in effort when they haven't.

If anyone in Adelaide is interested I'll be selling my Astro City. Hate to see it go but I just don't have the space for it and I seldom use it.

Agreed re the Highway units. They also have issues with the CPs in most cases, no information about burn in. Having said that, the prices have increasing pretty steadily at least in terms of what people are listing cabs at.

This is a growing problem in the hobby it seems? It's not so bad up here in Brissy, but I can see it getting there sooner or later.

There's one user on these forums who seems to grab anything PCB wise that's decent or priced cheap, and multiples of sought after titles, which is pretty shite IMO, but people don't seem to care... My 2 cents, I would much rather get things into the hands of people that play or cherish them (not grippers, flippers, hoarders). Half my candy cabs came from @OsirusANZ who hooked me up with decent prices, probably knowing that I'll play them. I sold one of the Astro's I got from him to @buffaloj0e which had a chassis and PSU refurbed by Jomac and passed it on for what I paid. Nothing more satisfying than helping people achieve their goals or wants.

(or buy an external tranny)
No internal trannies down south mate? ;)

If anyone in Adelaide is interested I'll be selling my Astro City. Hate to see it go but I just don't have the space for it and I seldom use it.
Hopefully someone in ADL is reading this and it goes to a good home! I know all the work and parts you've bought for that thing!

Agreed re the Highway units. They also have issues with the CPs in most cases, no information about burn in. Having said that, the prices have increasing pretty steadily at least in terms of what people are listing cabs at.
Yup, wouldn't trust an auction or cab like that. That 240 Amusements mob is to be steered clear of too. But in saying that, Cabs are becoming scarce, and Japan is being pillaged of everything... sooner or later the prices for these things will reach ridiculous levels that we probably can't even fathom at the moment.

This is a growing problem in the hobby it seems? It's not so bad up here in Brissy, but I can see it getting there sooner or later.
There's one user on these forums who seems to grab anything PCB wise that's decent or priced cheap, and multiples of sought after titles, which is pretty shite IMO, but people don't seem to care... My 2 cents, I would much rather get things into the hands of people that play or cherish them (not grippers, flippers, hoarders). Half my candy cabs came from @OsirusANZ who hooked me up with decent prices, probably knowing that I'll play them. I sold one of the Astro's I got from him to @buffaloj0e which had a chassis and PSU refurbed by Jomac and passed it on for what I paid. Nothing more satisfying than helping people achieve their goals or wants.
I need someone like you in Sydney to sell me something, I promise I'll play it - alot lol.

Yeah it seems the hobby has grown so much over the last few years that stocks have dropped and prices have gone up everywhere.. You only have to look at eBay sales on PCB's... they have had exponential growth just in the last few years alone.

Also, I have been bringing in cabs from the US off an on for the last 8 years as well and the guys in the US that used to bring in a truck load of project cabs on a bi-monthly basis, just don't get that sort of stock any more. Their stock only seems to be coming from collectors who are letting stuff go etc.. Who knows if prices will keep growing, but its making me think more about moving stuff on, especially PCB's that are just sitting there and can die at the drop of a hat or if you look at them the wrong way! :S

especially PCB's that are just sitting there and can die at the drop of a hat or if you look at them the wrong way! :S
This is my biggest problem :( I have pretty much moved most of what I wanted to now though.

It's hard keeping stuff like Wolf Unit, CPS1 etc that dies for no reason but when that's where the games you want to play are, what do you do?

+1 on the Highway comments. A mate bought a blast about 4 years ago from them and the service was great he was able to take his pick out of the bunch, swap parts and monitors etc... with that kind of service, $1300 would not be that ridiculous.

Not sure what has changed since then, but the reported "CBF, hurry up" and buy attitude is what is making these cabs not sell I reckon.

@djsheep is a hero in my eyes, I love my Astro and I’m glad I managed to get it, atm I play a few rounds of Ketsui every other day. I definitely feel like a care taker and I have improved a few things to make it last and look good. New control panel, LS-56 sticks and Sanwa buttons and control panel wiring, fixed all the threads and fitted some new screws, bought a lower rear door and fitted it, bought and fitted locks, make aluminium adapters to mount aftermarket speakers, painted the control panel surround and bought the instruction card insert and bought a new hinge, made some spacers and mounted the chassis pot correctly, fitted a led light and fixed the AC supply wiring. It’s a joy to play on and makes me smile every time.

Last edited:
So how do people figure out the au market value of boards?

I want to sell a few things to make some room and preserve my marriage, but I've got no idea what they're worth.

Ebay is obviously not a solution.

EBay is a great solution if you're selling, but it certainly doesn't determine market value lol

Yeah I cbf with ebay/gumtree. I'd much rather sell on forums, but every forum I use has the (reasonable) rule that you list prices.

Back