What's new
Someone in Australia needs to produce quality supergun friendly arcade sticks.

None of this plastic shit, none of this USB shit, no zippy joysticks and Chinese buttons, straight up aluminium enclosures with Sanwa parts, Plexi top covers with options for customised artwork and layouts, straight through DB15 connections.

I been trying to gee up @xb74 to do this... I’m sure there’s interest!

I like the idea of having interchangeable Plexi top covers. Means you can easily customise it with different coloured Plexi, different layouts, different artwork sheets etc.

Use multiple Plexi sheets to accommodate slide in artwork, provide a rigid and smooth surface, hide mounting screws etc.

Have a helper PCB to facilitate wiring and connection to the DB15.

Aluminium enclosure with hi-fi quality rubber feet with level adjustment.

Not hard to do but time consuming to design and costly to produce in Australia.

I'd be happy to build them, I have thought about it before but I just don't think there's enough interest in Australia.

Depending on configuration you're in competition with Hori and others who sell brand new sticks for modern consoles.

I'd love to create something similar to my Qanba which has the option of a replacement clear plexi to add your own artwork.

I'm definitely keen to give it a try and will work with @rthorntn to see if I can help him out though :)

Look I would probably stump for four, just for a TMNT "minigun" mashup once in a blue moon, I probably wouldn't bat an eyelid paying $350 each, I'm not going to be competing so $400-500 each is probably too much for the home enthusiast and would just push me to either drilling a bunch of holes in a plank or hacking up an old xbox/ps stick and having a db15 hanging out of the back, I would prefer something nice though.

I don't need fancy graphics but a plexi sheets option would be cool.

I have a Guider II 3DP and a 6040 CNC that I bought for this kind of thing but I've never figured out how to design the things to print... If anyone wants help me I'm up for it.

While I understand someone else may want sleek designs with metal builds, it’s easy, cheap, and comes with custom art options to take something like a madcatz 360/PS3 stick, rip out the guts, and put in new wiring for a DB15 connection. All told, less than $100 American if you find a cheap enough stick ($30-$70 is not uncommon).

While I understand someone else may want sleek designs with metal builds, it’s easy, cheap, and comes with custom art options to take something like a madcatz 360/PS3 stick, rip out the guts, and put in new wiring for a DB15 connection. All told, less than $100 American if you find a cheap enough stick ($30-$70 is not uncommon).
I agree with Joe.
Custom metal or wood enclosures are awesome but drive the cost significantly. Leveraging the second hand market of highly customizable PS3/360 sticks makes more sense from a value/practical sense. now if money is no object, noble materials all the way

Heads up for Aussies, looks like Tim Worthington is distributing the Brook Retro Board locally now:
https://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=213

Am unsure how this price fares with getting it from overseas, but I've ordered from Tim multiple times, and there's never been a problem.
Champion! I’ve been after a Brook harness that’s too exy to buy on its own from OS and this guy has them. Cheers.

None of this plastic shit, none of this USB shit, no zippy joysticks and Chinese buttons, straight up aluminium enclosures with Sanwa parts, Plexi top covers with options for customised artwork and layouts, straight through DB15 connections.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/custom-...670910?hash=item342a29a1fe:g:VG0AAOSwMvxewRBw
As a concept, this is OK. Thoughts?
Looks neat, wonder how the slope and engraving would feel on the palm, you'd have to test

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/custom-...670910?hash=item342a29a1fe:g:VG0AAOSwMvxewRBw
As a concept, this is OK. Thoughts?
I wouldn't want any engraving but the overall design is cool.

Keep it within the limits of a hobby CNC (~600 x 390mm) and you could design it, clamp your alu plate on there and hit print.

I would happily pay for a freelancer to design something in Fusion 360 (or equivalent) that could be sent to a CNC shop.

There seems to be a bit going on in the 3DP side:

https://www.yeggi.com/q/fightstick/

Using a CNC opens it up to metal, timber and acrylic.

Last edited:
If anyone in Australia without soldering skills needs their CPS-1 Motherboard upgraded to 12mhz, just ask.

I obviously won't charge anything outside of shipping back to you. Just provide the 12mhz crystal. If enough people need this, I will order some crystals.
Adding to this, I'm in Sydney (2066) and for active members of our community I would be happy to do small PTH/SMT hand soldering jobs for free, I can even spend a few minutes with you on a practice board to show you how, teach a person to fish and all that!

Sorry but I won't deal with postage, so you will have to have the board dropped off to me and if I can't do it straight away you might have to come back to collect it.

Obviously for a free service, no guarantees that I won't break something but we can probably fix it, I use Hakko tools and have a FR301 which I totally dig!

I can do SMT down to 0603 but I would prefer 0805 and above, I'm not getting any younger, I reckon @Frank_fjs gets it, he used 1206 on the Minigun, what a legend!

Let's just call a small soldering job under 50 solder points, or 30 minutes, larger jobs and repairs are possible (I'm a diagnosis "learner" though) for a trade, you "bring out your dead" and "donate" some cool arcade hardware to me and I will donate my time and solder.

Last edited:
I appreciate the notion of providing tutoring on soldering; I try to do the same though most people are happy just letting someone else take care of it. I'm a fond believer of teach a man to fish...

I know it may sound arrogant but I do believe if you're in the arcade hobby you should make the effort to pick up basic soldering skills. This and a basic understanding of electronics and power, stop expecting devices to baby proof the whole process for you. It's not a hobby that needs a wider audience and removing ignorant and unintelligent people from it isn't such a bad thing.

Lol re 1206, indeed that was a purposeful decision. Easy to solder by hand, no need for magnification, and they're still small enough to provide space saving benefits re PCB design.

I appreciate the notion of providing tutoring on soldering; I try to do the same though most people are happy just letting someone else take care of it. I'm a fond believer of teach a man to fish...

I know it may sound arrogant but I do believe if you're in the arcade hobby you should make the effort to pick up basic soldering skills. This and a basic understanding of electronics and power, stop expecting devices to baby proof the whole process for you. It's not a hobby that needs a wider audience and removing ignorant and unintelligent people from it isn't such a bad thing.

Lol re 1206, indeed that was a purposeful decision. Easy to solder by hand, no need for magnification, and they're still small enough to provide space saving benefits re PCB design.
Agreed, in saying that people may have reasons why soldering themselves isn't an option.

I always use my Optivisor, even for PTH, maybe I should just "augment" myself with the Optivisor and some glue!

Just going to mention it here ArcadePC MX Mexico (arcadepccustom@gmail.com) prices are pretty amazing for handmade stuff, fully assembled with DB15, wooden case, aluminium top panel, Sanwa parts for $142 USD. Just the case with DB15 attached $65 USD. See attached image I inquired about this one so pricing includes an automotive paint job. He's finding out the FEDEX cost for me when he wakes up. @Frank_fjs roughly the sort of thing you were talking about?

I will definitely be ordering some of the kitted out Sanwa versions, they're even going to do handmade 3m DB15 cables for $3.75 each!

On that... has anyone seen any nice DB15 shells to buy that would look good on a nice sleeved cable?

Attachments

• this.png
    this.png
    342.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Back