What's new

kingcar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

opened this thread @otakus but noboday replied to it. SO I thought I try here too.

I purchased a A+B Combo both Blue versions both have some issues.
On The Game, Super SF, there are no Roms at all so it can't run for sure.
icon_pubjoe_lol.gif
So I just desoldered the Battery for the moment. Purchasing the needed Roms later to get it to run.

The Mobo just gives me a whitescreen with my Games which 100% run on other Mobo's I own.
Any Ideas what the matter could be on this one?

It may be because of lots of things and I won't be suggesting to check out bent/missing connector pins which you've probably checked out already...

I would check the following if I were you;

1) Does the fan turn? If not there may be either a major short on the 12V line OR simply the fan is dead. If the fan was dead for a long while (long before you got the board) the mobo must have suffered overheating and major components such as CPU or RAM ICs might have been fried.

2) If the fan turns, I would open the case to check the PCB and try to figure out what might be wrong. Major dust & dirt, track damage caused by major corrosion, blown-up tantalum capacitors (especially around sound section) may prevent it to run.

3) Did you try to fire it up without a B board? Normally without a B board you would expect to see a single colored screen (not white but blue, pink, green etc). At least this was the case for my CPS2 boards (Grey and green type) never had a US board.

If the PCb turns out to be extremely dirty (where you even cannot see the PCB itself - which is a common problem with CPS2 boards due to the plastic case and years of inhabitable :) harsh environments) I'd recommend to give it a good bath (yes, under water with dish washing detergent and brush), let it dry and try again. If you notice severe track damage on the PCB or severely discolored/missing legs on some surface mount chips due to corrosion, I'd recommend just throw it in the spare parts bin. Really not worth the effort to fix it (been there done that - I've fixed lots of track damage on one board, 2 years later when I tried it again it failed on me again. The corrosion never stops. It continues to eat tracks "under" the solder mask)

Good luck...

Hi.

Fan turns on.
And the PCb is very clean. I did not try to test it without a game. But I'll do so after work.
All also add some pictures. Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

OK, what is the proper way of washing? Seriously, I really would like to know and for future reference...
I always use vinegar and a tooth brush. Pour the vinegar on and scrub at the corrosion. Rinse with water. Blow excess water off with my air compressor and let sit for several days to dry out. Just make sure you don't clean pcbs with batteries installed like this.

I ha a working B-board that I got wet by accident around the battery area and ever since then has been just a solid white screen. Not sure what would have fried.

I don't know the product name outside France, so you'll have to find the equivalent by yourself.

I use that:

150006.jpg

And ONLY this one (the others contain lye, that you don't want on your PCBs). Worst case, just check the ingredients and do your own.

1. You spray, let it act for five minutes, then scrub with a soft toothbrush.
2. Then, you clean with demineralized wated (purified water good too).
3. With ANOTHER toothbrush, you scrub with isopropanol in order to have a proper cleaning.
4. Usually, five minutes later, board is clean and ready to be powered, but you're welcome to wait longer than that, that won't do harm.

This is the best method I know about, used by all serious repair techs, and it helped me make quite a few bucks saving mobos this way. I still make part of my living repairing mobos using that method and I never had any bad return.

OK tested without Game, but still the screen remains white. PCB is pretty clean too.
:/

Back