What's new

tonyt76

Champion
Reaction score
Hey guys, I purchased a Vewlix L from KC but the cabinet does not have any type of useable wiring, just a bunch of unplugged molex connectors. I am new to Vewlix cabs so I don't have a lot of knowledge about them so bare with me... I am extremely tech savy and learn fast but this is all new to me.

Is the monitor 31hz VGA? I initially wanted to install a Jamma Pandoras box 6. Am I better off putting a pc inside with a brooks card for the controller?

Any help you guys can offer me is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Vewlix cabs are wired using the JVS standard. It is a newer style of interface that took over the jamma interface. In order to use jamma boards on a jvs wired cabinet, you would need a jamma to jvs converter. I believe someone on this site makes such a device, iirc, but I'm not sure.

I'm sure someone with much better knowledge will chine in here shortly to help

Open up the panel and take a pic to see what we have.. usually L's have a JVS I/O card and the controller is connected to it.. if you just want to run a pandora then your original plan of running a PC and a brook board in stead of a Pandora is a better option, you can run whatever you want on the PC, plus you can run modern HDMI consoles with an HDMI switch at 720p.. if the L has an original LCD monitor then 31khz - a bit above 720p but not 1080p.

Your monitor will support 31khz, and 768p.

Its JVS, so a bunch of molex connections is exactly what you should be expecting.

If you want to run JAMMA you can either hunt down the Vewlix JAMMA kit which isn't made anymore and was over $700 when it was being made, or you can get a JAMMAFIER from @invzim.

Like @SNK-NEO-GEO said, it'd be a lot easier to grab a PC and throw that in there.

I second going the PC route. Pandora boxes, and those other chinese multiboards, are really bad. Finding a cheap dell/hp/lenovo pc for around 100 bucks and making that your mame machine, will yield much better results and flexibility

LOL even the L's coming with FastIO's now.

You have 4 options.

1.) Get a TypeX2/X3 and use that in the cab.
2.) Find a Taito JVS I/O ( Good luck )
3.) Lemony Vengence on here is making Taito to Sega 60pin adapters so you can snag one of the Sega JVS I/Os that are plentiful.
4.) Get an I-PAC and use a PC inside the cab.

You can order this from Taito direct, it's about 250$ shipped tho. :/
G4od2zl.jpg

The first version is out of production...
yYUFX7I.png

Taito now sells the version 2...
3U7Gp8C.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

You have 4 options.

3.) Lemony Vengence on here is making Taito to Sega 60pin adapters so you can snag one of the Sega JVS I/Os that are plentiful.
Can you guys explain to me what options 1-3 mean?

You have 4 options.

1) Buy an arcade game that's compatible with your cab.

2) Replace the board in your control panel with the one @jassin000 showed. It's expensive, and more or less unavailable on the second-hand market.

3) You can buy a much cheaper IO than the one from option 2, then buy the cable adapter, and use that. Still replacing the board in your CP, but this time with a Sega IO instead of the pricey Taito one.

Options 1-3 still only leave you playing JVS arcade games, and do you no good for PC/consoles/JAMMA.

You have 4 options.

1) Buy an arcade game that's compatible with your cab.
2) Replace the board in your control panel with the one @jassin000 showed. It's expensive, and more or less unavailable on the second-hand market.

3) You can buy a much cheaper IO than the one from option 2, then buy the cable adapter, and use that. Still replacing the board in your CP, but this time with a Sega IO instead of the pricey Taito one.

Options 1-3 still only leave you playing JVS arcade games, and do you no good for PC/consoles/JAMMA.
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
2 more quick questions:

1. Do I need to unplug anything in the Vewlix if I will not be running a JVS setup? Can anything burn out?

2. How can I get sound from my computer to come through the built in speakers in the Vewlix cab?

1. Do I need to unplug anything in the Vewlix if I will not be running a JVS setup? Can anything burn out?
Nope, and nope. You can unplug the IO if you won't be using it, but you certainly don't have to, and it wouldn't hurt it to stay plugged in.
2. How can I get sound from my computer to come through the built in speakers in the Vewlix cab?
Just plug the the 3.5mm audio cable in the bottom of the cab into your computer's speaker out. It's already run through the amp and to the speakers.

I don't see a 3.5mm audio cable in my cab :-/ Do you have a picture of where it goes in the cab, or can you tell me where the amp is located?

I suppose if you really want to play some jamma games seems like getting one of the superguns available on the forum. Not sure if any with vga hat would work or tou would have to convert svideo to compatible vga? OSSC would be ideal but trying to think of something more simple, lower cost (and reversable). Connect to lcd, audio out, would need to wire up the buttons in the panel to a connector.

Last edited:
Need help... So I hooked my pc up to the monitor in the Vewlix L with a VGA cable, but I cannot set the resolution to 1366 X 768, it is not a choice in the list. Should I be using the DVI input instead?

Yes you should be using DVI over VGA, but only because the D in DVI stands for digital (aka no analog interference).
My god man, I feel like this is electronics 101 here (aka these aren't cab specific questions and I'm tempted not to answer them because you are coming off as lazy by just asking). :rolleyes:

What you want is 1360x768, the panel native (not 1366x768)...
3XbSEel.jpg

The ability to output 1360x768 lies with your PC, or more specifically your GPU's ability to display it.
That image was taken using my Nvidia GTX 1080ti. :thumbup:

Back