Vewlix audio help

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Vewlix audio help

While the speakers in my vewlix diamonds sound pretty good I noticed when having them turned up they sometimes tend to pop/crackle. I dont play games at ear bleeding levels, but I do like it loud enough to immerse myself in whatever game I'm playing. Since these are in my home and not in a noisy arcade this doesn't seem like an unreasonable request.

Anyways, my first thought was to just replace the speakers as the factory ones are probably pretty worn. So I bought the Dayton Audio PC83-4's that where mentioned in the speaker replacement thread. These speakers are nice, but didnt solve the problem. They are also kind of a pain to replace so I dont recommend it unless you absolutely need too.

Since I'm mainly using these cabs with a TypeX2, I decided to try a cheap SPDIF to Auxiliary converter. I didnt expect much from this but figured maybe the onboard analogue audio was the cause of the distortion. To my surprise this helped quite a bit, but introduces a "hum" noise into the audio. Ultimately I feel like the converter isn't recreating the bass notes accurately and thats why it sounds like an improvement. I decided I could live with this solution if I can eliminate the hum, so I ordered a ground loop isolator hoping it resolves the issue. But before I continue down this path of cheap Chinese audio peripherals, I thought I would ask if anyone else has experienced this and maybe had a solution?
      Want to show your support for the Freeware X2 Multi?: Buy Niko a Beer! :thumbsup:
      Official Freeware Taito TypeX2 Multi Thread
    • No solution, but I just wanted to chime in and say I've had the same issue (speaker crackle in both of my Vewlix cabs when on high volume).
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special Edition)
    • I've used the 2020A amps in a few cabs with decent results, it's small, cheap, easy to work with.
      amazon.com/Lepy-LP-2020A-Digit…&keywords=2020A+amplifier

I feel like there is probably a better audio amp option out there but I haven't found one.

There seems to be either super cheap Chinese amps designed for small form factor and low power consumption, or super expensive audiophile amps that require a fusion reactor to run and a server rack to mount to with almost no options in between.

My plan for the Vewlix was maybe retrofitting a Net City Amp in there since I have an extra kicking around.
      Buy 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Projects: instagram | blog
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • twistedsymphony wrote:

I've used the 2020A amps in a few cabs with decent results, it's small, cheap, easy to work with.
      amazon.com/Lepy-LP-2020A-Digit…&keywords=2020A+amplifier

I feel like there is probably a better audio amp option out there but I haven't found one.

There seems to be either super cheap Chinese amps designed for small form factor and low power consumption, or super expensive audiophile amps that require a fusion reactor to run and a server rack to mount to with almost no options in between.

My plan for the Vewlix was maybe retrofitting a Net City Amp in there since I have an extra kicking around.
      +1 for this
    • Niko wrote:

I havent tried using a better amplifier, are there any recommendations?

I'll try changing out the input cable and see if that helps.
      If you have one, you could try using a home stereo receiver to test with, simply to rule out the amp in your cab or the speakers.

I’ve used this amp in my diy cab with great results

amazon.com/SMSL-50Wx2-TDA7492-…ier-Adapter/dp/B00F0H8TOC

It’s pretty overkill, but I found an open box version for half the price at the time and couldn’t pass it up.
    • So I think I found a solution for this ( at least in my case. )

Like I mentioned in my original post I mainly use my diamonds with a TypeX2. The other day I got curious as I only seem to have this problem with a few particular games on the X2. With a Naomi or RingWide I never have any audio problems. So I decided to hook up some head phones and see if I could isolate the issue to the cab or the X2. To my surprise I heard the same crackling through my headphones as I do the speakers in the Vewlix.

Using my phone, I then decided to play some music from the game's OST through the vewlix and didnt have any problems.

At this point I was sold on the problem being isolated to the TypeX2. I ended up trying a cheap PCI sound card in the X2 but it didnt solve the problem. I then decided since I was at it, I would try to update the SoundMax driver for the on board audio of the X2. The driver Taito ships with their images is v5.1 and the latest I could find online was v6.1. So I updated the driver, reset the audio levels to defaults, and fired up my test game. Boom! no more crackling. I played the game for a good 30 minutes just to be sure.

I then decided to reimage my drive back to the factory image, and test the game again. Within the first minute I noticed the crackling audio was back. So I updated the driver again and got nothing but perfect audio.

TL;DR: The X2 audio driver is old and needs to be updated.

I plan to continue testing with the updated driver, and If I dont have any problems I'll be including it with the next version of my multi.
      Want to show your support for the Freeware X2 Multi?: Buy Niko a Beer! :thumbsup:
      Official Freeware Taito TypeX2 Multi Thread