What's new
The only other concern is there is only 2 power pins supplying power to all the eproms on that board.... They would draw way more than the SOP MASK roms that are normally present..... 7 X 27C322's.. they already get warm when there running......
There are more connections on the other side, and they are stitched together:
View attachment RomgravePgmChar.pdf

The data sheet says the 27c322 takes 50mA-70mA, so ~490mA for 7. I ordered the PCBs with 1oz.

The calculator suggests a track width of 0.112mm, and I set up the power lines with 0.75mm thickness. But I must admit that I made the power traces a bit bigger without checking the calculation...

The prog board uses a 4 layer board, with internal power and ground planes.

The data sheet says the 27c322 takes 50mA-70mA, so ~490mA for 7. I ordered the PCBs with 1oz.

The calculator suggests a track width of 0.112mm, and I set up the power lines with 0.75mm thickness. But I must admit that I made the power traces a bit bigger without checking the calculation...

The prog board uses a 4 layer board, with internal power and ground planes.
Sweet.. that sounds fine... 600mA i got.. so must be different data sheet :)

D,

This is so sick. Amazing work and thank you.

Sweet.. that sounds fine... 600mA i got.. so must be different data sheet :)
D,
I seem to have 27c322 with 3 different die sizes inside, so it is quite likely that there are different revisions with different power requirements. I really need to measure the power consumption properly...

Thanks goes to Capcom CPS1 repairs i have done for many years.. I have GAL16V8B in stock.... AND i remembered were i put them :)
Ordered, Resistor packs, 42pin IC sockets. SO just have to wait for them to come in before i can do any more testing....

I have every thing else... Plus sent your "surprise" package today :)

D.

Doing a mock up in real plastics from "Dragon World 2001".... The bottom (prog) pcb mount holes arn't centered on the mounting posts. I presume you have noticed this??

The holes need to be moved closer to the center of the PCB.

The top PCB is the same.. but not as bad....

D.

Attachments

• mount holes.jpg
    mount holes.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 206
Yes, I moved the centres closer together. I moved both the PAL and the T-ROMs so that they don't conflict with the spacers on the mounting posts. You'll notice as well that the char board is a bit of a tight fit.
This was a bit tricky to adjust in Kicad, which is why I re-did the outlines in FreeCAD.

I presume your talking about the gal right up agents the screw mount??

In the pic below...

D.

Attachments

• post_gal.jpg
    post_gal.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 210
Yes. And the other one is right over the footprint over T2.

Well... Time to join the PGM PCB club..... Here is my first PGM related PCB... :)

This PCB converts / expands the EVIL 27C4096 ODD PINOUT To a stock ST M27C322.. I still have to wire in 3 address lines...
But it should allow the Donner board i'm working on to run the full size 32mbit / 16mbit ROMs....

OSHPARK here we come. :)

D.

Attachments

• PCB PICTURE.JPG
    PCB PICTURE.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 218
That is awesome news! To be honest, my biggest worry was getting the game to boot. This was mostly graphical glitches which were relatively easily to diagnose.

Agreed. With a new hardware project, when it doesn't boot, it's pretty defeating to have to start debugging there. Debugging on something that runs is a lot more pleasant.

So can we say that you can run any PGM game with this repro cart ?

So can we say that you can run any PGM game with this repro cart ?
No, only the three cave shooters.

In theory, earlier games can be patched to remove the ASIC protection checks, though so far no one has spent time on that. And later games require the ARM cpu in the ASIC for game logic.

Additionally there are memory limits: 4MB code, 8MB tile data, 4MB audio, 16MB A-sprite data and 8MB B-sprite data. Anything bigger than that would require larger ROMs to be used, which are (AFAIK) only available as SMD components with 3.3V interface. (So you would need to design in level shifters as well.)

The only good use is really to make DDP3, Espgaluda and Ketsui without sacrificing donor boards.

Back