What's new
can you put the sockets onto the legs before hand and then seat the whole thing in for soldering? might make alignment issues less pronounced?
Yes, that works fine:
IMG_20190911_074408.jpg

IMG_20190911_074517.jpg

I know im reviving a old thread but where do i get those solder cup looking sockets for individual pins like in the picture or what are they called?

Thank you!!! imma order these now super excited!!! :D
Just food for thought… most people just buy 3 sets of these repro boards (one for each cave title) and solder the roms in directly. Consider these an optional luxury, and only really useful in the unlikely chance you develop a gfx issue. You can use normal (cheap!) dip sockets on the program pcb and these still fit in the shell

Consider these an optional luxury, and only really useful in the unlikely chance you develop a gfx issue.
...sorry for being lazy but if we do have a DDP gfx issue and have that optional luxury in place, what's the fix?

...sorry for being lazy but if we do have a DDP gfx issue and have that optional luxury in place, what's the fix?
Well you don’t have to desolder the rom that is causing the issue, you can just remove it directly since you used a socket. And if you don’t know which rom is bad you can remove each one and test them without having to desolder all of them.

Frankly the socket itself could be the issue too, if it’s not making proper contact with the pin. I prefer dual wipe (flat) sockets vs machine (circular) pins for this reason.

sorry for being lazy but if we do have a DDP gfx issue and have that optional luxury in place, what's the fix?
The assumption is that the EPROM is bad and would need to be reburned....

unless you're developing new patches for use on these boards that's really the other benefit to using these sockets.

so unless you have exceptionally low confidence in your ability to burn and verify these ROMs, or you're planning on doing PGM conversion development work I wouldn't bother with the sockets.

Last edited:
I plan to have sockets as i like having a ez way to go back and replace eeproms if they fail over time :P added its way cheaper to buy the repro boards ive found then getting the pre made ones which are WAY more in the end :P also is there a good guide on how to properly write the roms? and which goes to which socket?

Back