What's new

adsa

Student
Reaction score
I wonder if you guys can help. When I connect a PSU to my Capcom Trojan PCB the PSU dies immediately. When I measure Ohms across +5V and GND I get 111Ohms. If I use a diode test then I get 63mv across 5V and GND.
I have started to take components out of the top PCB and wondered if there is an easier way to diagnose? Any experience guys?

Cheers

When you say "dies" you mean that there is a shortcut big enough to make the PSU shutdown for security reasons, right?

I would start by providing first 12V only, then 5V only, etc. and see which line is giving you trouble. That's a start.

I'm no expert at repairing PCBs that are not mine, but I would first check for chips or components getting too hot.

Hi Darksoft

Thanks for replying. Power supply shuts down so no chance of anything getting hot. 12V is fine. Nothing wrong that side. Only the 5V side.

Cheers

There's 5 ways to go ( in order of desperation )

1: Meter from your short to all chip legs, sometimes a chip will have multiple legs grounded out, trojan has schematics i think so will be easy to tell if the short is also on other lines.

2: Continue to remove chips as you are, ram / processors etc are the most likely but have seen standard stuff like 157's, 174's and 161's etc shorted out.

3: Cut tracks to try and isolate the row / column of chips, the power traces are laid out in a grid.

4: There's a device called a ToneOhm.. i never used one, but it's something to look at before causing more possible issues.

5 <last resort> : Remove all valuable parts and Power it up on a unrestricted bench supply, slowly crank it up until you see smoke, use nose to find the problem.

@Hammy great response.

I though about proposing #3 in your list but I find it a bit destructive

Definitely #5 is the quickest one :thumbsup:

Yeah obviously don't wait for smoke if you go for the kill or cure method, check for heat, and slowly slowly crank it up... if the short is inside a board layer it can get very messy.

I wonder if you guys can help. When I connect a PSU to my Capcom Trojan PCB the PSU dies immediately. When I measure Ohms across +5V and GND I get 111Ohms. If I use a diode test then I get 63mv across 5V and GND.
I have started to take components out of the top PCB and wondered if there is an easier way to diagnose? Any experience guys?

Cheers
First of all, you're using a Capcom Classic adapter right?

Cheers
First of all, you're using a Capcom Classic adapter right?
Oh Yes. It could get messy otherwise...

If you measure 111 ohms between ground and +5V there's no way a milliohm-meter could help you since that value is normal (when a short is generally only few ohms).
I'd simply go for the smoke method after I made sure there's no visible pins shorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers. I can understand where your coming from. I will have a think about it. Thank you everyone. Much appreciated for your input.

Back