What's new
those files are in the wrong format. monitor-test-p1.bin should be called prom and probably byte-swaped.

the c files must be word-merged (take 2 bytes from one and 2 from the other and so on)

those files are in the wrong format. monitor-test-p1.bin should be called prom and probably byte-swaped.

the c files must be word-merged (take 2 bytes from one and 2 from the other and so on)
Is there an alternate source in the correct format, or a guide I could follow to do the manipulation myself? Trying to adjust the CRT in my MVS cabinet and these tools would be helpful.

Can I get one of the AES multi's, flash the firmware to the MVS type, and use it on an MVS motherboard?
Will that work? Do I need to swap the shell? Any particular MVS motherboard I should look for or avoid?

From what I read, it seems like it may be hinted that the PCB's are the same, and that this should work...but on the other hand, not sure why the AES style is in stock but the MVS is not. Hoping I can take advantage of the lower cost offering on the AES...

(Not at all familiar with Neo-Geo systems, as you can tell...but would like to play a few games that I remember from high school / college).

Thanks!

not even the pinout between both systems is the same, so no chance to make it work on a different system just changing a few things.

not even the pinout between both systems is the same, so no chance to make it work on a different system just changing a few things.
Got it, thank you. And thanks for the quick reply!

KOF2002 got background graphic distorted when I on the 1st cheat..

1st cheat? you mean fight? or Unibios Cheats?

Which version was exactly previous? and current?

Which AES model do you have? PSU picture please.

Thanks.

Darksoft, thank you for making this cart first off! I weighed my options over this and the competition, but at the lowered price point there is no comparison. Plus I did not like the idea of waiting 4-5 minutes to flash a game. Good choice on using DDR for this.

I have updated the firmware and menu to the latest available and everything is working great, however sound is sometimes still missing until I power cycle. For example, I flashed three games and after finishing the system rebooted to the first game with sound. If I moved to the second of third game slot however, no sound. Move back to the first game and it had sound!

But, sometimes that does not happen and other weird things happen. For example, flashed some games yesterday and one was Nam '75. The game launched with sound, but just half sound. I was waiting for the guy to start talking the dialog, but it was not there...music was however. In game the music was there but the sound effects were not. After a power cycle the game worked fine.

I did notice when I first received the cart that having the menu music active would cause all sorts of strange behavior sound wise when the game(s) were launched, so I shut that off. Since then the issues are not as bad, but they are there still. A power cycle in my experience always fixes the problem with said game.

I just wanted to ask if you are still looking into these sound issues? Other than that, its a minor thing to me but it would be nice to see these sound issues resolved at some point. At the price point this cart is awesome and the fast flashing is a must have and I would recommend it to anyone regardless!

I just wanted to ask if you are still looking into these sound issues? Other than that, its a minor thing to me but it would be nice to see these sound issues resolved at some point. At the price point this cart is awesome and the fast flashing is a must have and I would recommend it to anyone regardless!
Thanks for nice words and comments. We will look into it. It's clearly an issue with the TOP file and we'll release a new one.

I have updated the firmware and menu to the latest available and everything is working great, however sound is sometimes still missing until I power cycle. For example, I flashed three games and after finishing the system rebooted to the first game with sound. If I moved to the second of third game slot however, no sound. Move back to the first game and it had sound!

But, sometimes that does not happen and other weird things happen. For example, flashed some games yesterday and one was Nam '75. The game launched with sound, but just half sound. I was waiting for the guy to start talking the dialog, but it was not there...music was however. In game the music was there but the sound effects were not. After a power cycle the game worked fine.

I did notice when I first received the cart that having the menu music active would cause all sorts of strange behavior sound wise when the game(s) were launched, so I shut that off. Since then the issues are not as bad, but they are there still. A power cycle in my experience always fixes the problem with said game.
Did these problems happen before? What happens if you roll back to old FW? Are they still happening?
Which AES model do you have? Are you using OG Bios or UniBios?

Did these problems happen before? What happens if you roll back to old FW? Are they still happening?Which AES model do you have? Are you using OG Bios or UniBios?
This is a brand new cart, so there wasn't much of a "before" ;) I received the cart from Highscoresaves a few days ago. When I powered it on fir the first time I checked the firmware and saw it was from 2018 I believe, so I immediately updated it and the menu with the latest from the first post of this thread.

The Neo Geo I am using is a PRO-POW3 Japanese model. It is completely stock, untouched. No custom BIOS at all.

I have a feeling this bug/glitch is going to be a hard one to track down. I have been playing the games I flashed previously (Sengoku 2, Magician Lord and Nam 75) all day without any sound issues.

From what I have experienced the sound issues only happen after I first program the games and the console auto reboots to the games. After a power cycle the games have no issues as far as I have encountered.

One other small thing (and maybe this was mentioned before?) is that if I select the games to be in USA mode on first boot they are. But if you reset the game it is back to the console's stock language (in my case Japanese). I suspect there is nothing that can be done about that. My console is a Japanese console and the BIOS is Japanese, so I was really surprised and happy to see that choosing USA from the multicart settings actually forces the game to launch in English. Thanks for that feature! I wish resetting the game would keep the setting, but no big deal.

those kind of bugs are hard to track.

Does it happen in all games or only on some? Which ones? And with those games that give you trouble, does it happen always?

those kind of bugs are hard to track.

Does it happen in all games or only on some? Which ones? And with those games that give you trouble, does it happen always?
It is so random and it does not happen all of the time. When it does its like "what the heck"? But right after the flash and the auto reset is when it occurs (when it does). I am not a programmer, but maybe the reset code is doing it? Power cycling always fixes the problem, and the games that are already flashed never audio glitch (in my experience) launching any of the games on a fresh power cycle. I can flip back and forth between the games and it is fine.

It's almost like something is "grabbing" the audio after the flash and auto-reboot.

I wish I could be of more help. Its not always reproducible which makes matters worse. Maybe someone else has had this happen and has a way to reproduce it?

For now any time I run into an audio glitch game I just power off and back on and it always works. Small price to pay for a cart with such great features and super fast programming time.

Ohh, and on an off topic side note I forgot to comment on the build quality of this. It is outstanding. This is one of the most solidly built flash carts I have encountered for any console...and I have a bunch of flash carts :) Really splendid job. If the quality is an indication of what I am to expect from the products I will certainly be purchasing whatever next iteration of the Neo Geo AES cart you come up with in the future. Thanks again for going the extra mile while some other manufacturers I know cut corners to save a dime.

Last edited:
@eightbit are you running a UniBIOS on your AES? If so, the next time the sound cuts out on NAM-1975 or any other game, try hitting SELECT + START to pull up the UniBIOS menu, choose Soft Reset, then immediately hold A+B+C to bring up the UniBIOS boot menu. Go into the Game SoftDIP Settings menu and hit D to reset them to defaults. Exit the menu and let the game boot up - the sound should then work properly.

As mentioned previously, this is a stock unit with stock BIOS.

Are you running games in MVS mode or AES mode when this happens?

Back