What's new

bytestorm

Professional
Reaction score
Just wanted to share that there is a MCU still produced by atmel that is a direct replacement for the protection MCU i8751, and that is the AT89S51.
https://www.mouser.se/ProductDetail...tmel/AT89S51-24PU?qs=8jWQYweyg6Pvd5yT8ry9Ww==

Really cheap and programmed easily with the TL866 programmer.

Just made my Shinobi -> Tough Turf conversion and it works great :). Really good game with awesome music :D

Just a straight romswap (and in my case also change the protected Z80B into a regular Z80B, but they are all socketed).

15x 27C512 (used W27C512-45Z eeproms)
5x 27C256 (used ST27C512B eproms)
1x AT89S51-24PU
1x Z80B (Sharp LH08xxx version)

Sorry if this was widely known, I just didnt find any info about it so thought i´d share my findings.

Last edited:
good finding! At least I didn't know about it.
I assume that the code to programm it is in mame, right?

yeah the 4k ROM is from the tturf(u) archive. there is another one thats currently undumped also but I have no idea whats different :)

What an underrated game this is.

Lucky you! Here in sweden farnell doesnt sell to ppl.. only companies :S.

Thought it was a rather cool find considering its used in several other games too.. 1943, Wonderboy etc

Dang! I wish I knew this before buying some used i8751s from ebay to fix an original Moonwalker. Very good to know for the future.

You can use either AT89C51 or AT89S51 (faster) from Atmel. That's what I've used on the M72 multi to substitute the OG MCU.

I've patched many games to run without the MCU, 1943 (details on my blog), Tough Turf (for the S16B multi) and Moonwalker (files released here) are on the list.

Back