What's new
@[s]@GC8TECH[/s] is there a way to save high scores? I have a coin cell rev 14 with a good battery but it loses my low...*ahem I mean high scores =) when I power off the pgm board.

Found it, dip #8 on the MB, disregard :D

Last edited:
Not all games do save there high scores even with dip 8..... I should make a list one day.....

T.

Just checking, is there anything in my collection that you havent scanned/would be interested in me scanning?
bE3xnDnr.jpg

I do have all of those carts... BUT i would be checking which rom versions you have... in case you have something not in MAME...

Tim.

Hey all,

I'm soon releasing my own "Suped up / Pre-Modded" PGM Motherboards....

There will be 2 versions. The "Base" edition will have......

Full re-cap with Panasonic FR low esr caps. Very high quality.
Stereo sound out mod.
Coin cell battery mod WITH the proper barrier diode... so it will work safely and not try to charge the coin cell.

The "GOLD" Edition will have the same as the base BUT with Gold Panasonic 125C caps, Gold RCA jacks, Gold Coin Cell holder.

I will be doing a trail order of 7 units... if they sell well and people are happy.. i will do more.

I'm doing these to help people who can't solder ect.. And still want a modded PGM MoBo.... and to help out the PGM Community as whole.......

T.

Last edited:
Interested, but want to see pictures. Is the Gold mod reversible? No damage to the plastic?

Also, I think you mean, "charge" right? Not change?

Also, price?

Is it true stereo or quasi stereo achieved by sending different channels to different speakers? I wasn't aware the games were programmed with stereo audio?

Is it true stereo or quasi stereo achieved by sending different channels to different speakers? I wasn't aware the games were programmed with stereo audio?
Its TRUE stereo. The PGM uses a stereo DAC for sound output.

T.

Interested, but want to see pictures. Is the Gold mod reversible? No damage to the plastic?

Also, I think you mean, "charge" right? Not change?

Also, price?
Opps.. a typo.. they happen..

Approx price is $150 AUD for the BASE unit and $195 AUD for the GOLD unit.

The RCA jacks will have holes in the plastics. They are the only mod to the plastics.

ALL motherboards will be REV 9 or newer.

I cover all the different revisions in my you tube videos....

T.

Will there be a switch to turn off the Mono audio over JAMMA while using external stereo speakers?

Will there be a switch to turn off the Mono audio over JAMMA while using external stereo speakers?
Not at the moment.. i wanted to keep the JAMMA side intact.. so it can still be used in a JAMMA Cab / Loom ect....

IF you wanted a custom version.. i could add a switch JUST for you :)

T.

Its TRUE stereo. The PGM uses a stereo DAC for sound output.
T.
How can it be true stereo when the games were never programmed with stereo audio??? The hardware being capable of processing stereo audio means nothing unless it's fed a stereo signal.

I'm really intrigued by this as the only stereo mod I've ever seen done on the PGM is a pseudo mod that simply splits the channels into different speakers (left / right), similar to how the NES stereo mod works, not true stereo sound just a dirty approximation of it.

I don't think thats true. It definitely has 2 different channels coming out of the DAC. IF both channels were the same.. then i would agree with you.. but you can hear 2 different channels... They are both combined and then sent to the amp, then to the jamma finger...

T.

I don't think thats true. It definitely has 2 different channels coming out of the DAC. IF both channels were the same.. then i would agree with you.. but you can hear 2 different channels... They are both combined and then sent to the amp, then to the jamma finger...

T.
Maybe what Frank means is regardless if the mobo provides stereo, if no game was ever programed with stereo output, it won't really matter, because the source is mono.

I know what he is saying,

I haven't extracted the sound data from a cart to know if it is mono or stereo.

I've never read anything to say it is mono... I'm not saying he is wrong... I just don't see it as mono. Plus why have stereo DAC with 2 channles out.. IF both channels are the same...

T.

Fair enough. It's a cool mod regardless, but if no games have the stereo cap, maybe overkill? Then again, if there was ever a community to bring stereo go a game that didn't have it, this is probably the one!

"Fluffy" PCBs use a 27C322 for sound data.... BUT i'm not sure if it completely full of data...

There is also the point that could be "argued"... they designed the HW for stereo... Hence the Stereo DAC, But never did any games to support it...

Unless my ears are going completely silly.. i can hear 2 different channels....

I guess i could put both channels up on my CRO... that would tell you once and for all......

T.

In these cases you normally don't use stereo samples, especially if you use MIDI or a Tracker to play back the music. You just set a stereo panning for each instrument/effect, so when it gets mixed into the output signal(s) you get the positioning. If you really, really need a pre-mixed stereo effect it would be stored as two separate samples that are started at the same time. (Though I haven't checked the datasheet if the sound chip has a built-in stereo sample format.) It DOES support 16 bit samples, though that seems to require DRAM for the sample data.

It would be interesting to see if any games have a stereo mix, it may be possible that they prepared it in case a future motherboard has stereo output. I think someone on the PGM conversion thread posted a picture of a PGM motherboard with the MVS stereo mod PCB without the middle channel connected.

Apparently many PGM games use a Tracker based music player, so if the driver supports stereo mixing it may be possible to patch games for stereo support.

Edit: Linky: https://vgmrips.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2231
I've seen it first on the PGM Conversion thread, but right now can't find the post.

Edit: So the MOD version of the Espgaluda soundtrack definitely has panning/stereo, though someone would have to check if the driver actually handles this. The XM doesn't, but that seems to be a limitation of the file format. Renoise ( https://www.renoise.com/ ) can't open the MOD files, but it can open the XM files (without stereo). I managed to use OpenMPT ( https://openmpt.org/download ) to convert the MOD into IT (Impulse Tracker), and open those in Renoise with stereo.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I'm soon releasing my own "Suped up / Pre-Modded" PGM Motherboards....

There will be 2 versions. The "Base" edition will have......

Full re-cap with Panasonic FR low esr caps. Very high quality.
Stereo sound out mod.
Coin cell battery mod WITH the proper barrier diode... so it will work safely and not try to charge the coin cell.

The "GOLD" Edition will have the same as the base BUT with Gold Panasonic 125C caps, Gold RCA jacks, Gold Coin Cell holder.

I will be doing a trail order of 7 units... if they sell well and people are happy.. i will do more.

I'm doing these to help people who can't solder ect.. And still want a modded PGM MoBo.... and to help out the PGM Community as whole.......

T.
Small update on the pre-modded PGM MotherBoards i will be selling....

First 4 Motherboards arrived from China.... 3 more are coming as well.... Time to test them...

T.

Attachments

• FIRST 4.jpg
    FIRST 4.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 193
Back