What's new
awesome. Fast tracker / impulse tracker was an old hobby of mine... definitely gonna check this out!
I experimented a bit more, and the Espgaluda MOD are a relatively rare 16-channel variant. VLC opens them and plays them in stereo, a few trackers I tried don't.
Ddp3 is 8-channel and all centred, I haven't looked at Ketsui in detail. The remaining games are only ripped as XM and don't seem to use stereo.

Edit: Ketsui doesn't seem to have a stereo mix, either... Maybe you could patch a stereo mix in?

Last edited:
It will go live as soon as it's done processing, but YouTube is taking *forever* to edit my videos lately. They do not want you streaming 4K apparently.

Untitled2.png

I experimented a bit more, and the Espgaluda MOD are a relatively rare 16-channel variant. VLC opens them and plays them in stereo, a few trackers I tried don't.
Ddp3 is 8-channel and all centred, I haven't looked at Ketsui in detail. The remaining games are only ripped as XM and don't seem to use stereo.
have you tried DeliPlayer ? http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php?title=DeliPlayer or https://web.archive.org/web/20080330073317if_/http://www.deliplayer.com:80/
back in Amiga days DeliTracker was the best MOD player, as it supports more than 100 of .mod format variants and derivatives (yes, MOD is not just a single music format, there was dozens if it's variants, and they are barely supported by PC software).

also might worth to check this Foobar2000's plugin https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dumb

awesome. Fast tracker / impulse tracker was an old hobby of mine... definitely gonna check this out!
I experimented a bit more, and the Espgaluda MOD are a relatively rare 16-channel variant. VLC opens them and plays them in stereo, a few trackers I tried don't.Ddp3 is 8-channel and all centred, I haven't looked at Ketsui in detail. The remaining games are only ripped as XM and don't seem to use stereo.

Edit: Ketsui doesn't seem to have a stereo mix, either... Maybe you could patch a stereo mix in?
Dusting the rust off a bit... All the instrument samples are 1 channel (mono) in this software. You can get stereo a couple of ways that I can recall: adding panning data to the note/channel, or adding a panning envelope to the 'instrument' the sample is used in (for XMs). I think there's some default panning you can set up, too.

So far I don't think any of that data is present, and if you're hearing 'stereo' it's only on the MOD variant, and it's only because the software has some default panning for MOD files. Honestly it sounds better than mono though! Wouldn't be hard to just code that in, but I think it's just taking a pair of channels and making them Left-ish and Right-ish, then the next pair is Right-ish and Left-ish. I never built mod files, just XM and IT, but that might have been a common thing, or even default.

Just having a little bit of separation makes it more dynamic for sure.

If I went in and actually coded a mod or xm that way, for a test, would you know how to recompile it back? No guarantee the player/driver in the pgm itself is gonna handle the data.

as of panning: there was no of it in original .MOD format, because Amiga's sound hardware had 4 channels, 2 was routed to left channel, and another 2 to right. so, there was no way to control sound route (but only each channel volumes).
but I don't know how it is implemented in 8-channel mod variant (which is used by pgm tunes), its possible there was added some panning control.

If I went in and actually coded a mod or xm that way, for a test, would you know how to recompile it back? No guarantee the player/driver in the pgm itself is gonna handle the data.
Not at the moment... I looked at the source code, but that is only for the xm converter. I was going to look if I can just poke in the command that sets the panning ( 8xx - set panning https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Effect_Reference#MOD_Effect_Commands ) into some existing tracks.
More complicated import/export tools will have to wait until I have more free time...

The separation in the Espgaluda seems to be quite simplistic - the channels are just shifted left or right the same amount of units. That could quite well be the default setting for that format variant, but apparently it matches the OST. Or the guy who extracted the songs added the panning manually later.

Isnt the OST based on the ps2 version which has Stereo music

I dug a bit deeper, and it looks like the stereo setup is a default for the file format. (Panning commands are not used.)
So if I've got a bit of time I can look if I can patch the z80 code to apply the same setup...

I just booted the Knights of Valour 2 Nine Dragons cart that I bought from sheep_nova on ebay, and the title screen is just the white/yellow "Knights of Valour 2" with a 2000 copyright. It has 5 characters at the select and no mode select.

The program rom board looks like the scan of Nine Dragons found in this thread, but it has regular Knights of Valour 2 roms. Do you think this is a Nine Dragons board with the wrong roms in it, or just a plain old Knights of Valour 2 in the wrong plastic shell?

Not sure what the other board is. Doesn't match ones I've seen.

Attachments

• kov2web.png
    kov2web.png
    748.1 KB · Views: 216
  • kov2web2.png
    kov2web2.png
    610 KB · Views: 187
  • kov2web3.png
    kov2web3.png
    832.3 KB · Views: 209
Yes, I know that the game is KOV2. But I'm wondering what happened here. Is it a Nine Dragons PCB with KOV2 roms in it, or just a KOV2 PCB?

Yes, I know that the game is KOV2. But I'm wondering what happened here. Is it a Nine Dragons PCB with KOV2 roms in it, or just a KOV2 PCB?
What are the PCB numbers on both boards???

T.

Hey all,

I'm soon releasing my own "Suped up / Pre-Modded" PGM Motherboards....

There will be 2 versions. The "Base" edition will have......

Full re-cap with Panasonic FR low esr caps. Very high quality.
Stereo sound out mod.
Coin cell battery mod WITH the proper barrier diode... so it will work safely and not try to charge the coin cell.

The "GOLD" Edition will have the same as the base BUT with Gold Panasonic 125C caps, Gold RCA jacks, Gold Coin Cell holder.

I will be doing a trail order of 7 units... if they sell well and people are happy.. i will do more.

I'm doing these to help people who can't solder ect.. And still want a modded PGM MoBo.... and to help out the PGM Community as whole.......

T.
UPDATE: I'm going to offer ALL editions to have a LED strip added to the Motherboards.... I will offer different colors as well. SINCE each Motherboard is hand built / modded for each user / buyer.. i can customize what leds you want etc... This is included in the current pricing.. it will NOT cost you anymore :)

Just some red led testing...

T.

Attachments

• 20190825_064525.jpg
    20190825_064525.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 20190825_064528.jpg
    20190825_064528.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 20190825_064552.jpg
    20190825_064552.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 166