What's new
Tim, is there a sound amp on the PGM? Sound quality in my Astro is pretty bad (playing DDP conversion), replaced the speakers and I'm pondering if somehow wiring an amp inline would improve the sound any? ty
Nearly all JAMMA boards have a built in sound amp, it's part of the JAMMA spec so the only games that don't have them are odd-balls. additional amplification would likely make it worse.

With that said... it's a Cave game, most of the time the audio quality on their games sounds like it's running through a pay-phone.

Some people are using the amplifier that was developed to add a line out for MVS boards to add a line out to PGM. Would be interesting to know if the quality directly from the DAC is higher than what comes from the Jamma connector.

Tim, is there a sound amp on the PGM? Sound quality in my Astro is pretty bad (playing DDP conversion), replaced the speakers and I'm pondering if somehow wiring an amp inline would improve the sound any? ty
Yes there is a AMP on the PGM motherboard. is it 8W + 8W from memory.. its the chip on the heat sink. it was made for Car Stereo amps anyway...

T.

NOW that i no longer have a Job... I need to find some income for my family....

So i have decided to start selling some of my IGS PGM gear. AT cheap prices to raise funds i will need to live.....

SO if ANYONE is looking for PGM gear.. just let me know.

Tim.
ouff! sorry to hear man :(. Hope its sorted out soon!
Thanks for the kind words.. it will be at least 2 months i have to survie.. maybe longer depending on what the Corona Virus does....

T.

Some people are using the amplifier that was developed to add a line out for MVS boards to add a line out to PGM. Would be interesting to know if the quality directly from the DAC is higher than what comes from the Jamma connector.
Already done it :) Straight out of the DAC is WAY better quality . Thats were my "Sterio" mod takes it from.

You can change a few caps on the motherboard and the sound out of the amp is alot better.... Fiddled with that toooo

T.

tell us more, which caps and what with. I would like better sound from my PGM please :)

tell us more, which caps and what with. I would like better sound from my PGM please :)
Do you just want a list of caps silk screen numbers, and what to put in there place??Tim.
I would be very interested and appreciative of this also! My soldering iron is warming up. ;P Thanks Tim!
OK i did this list based of a REV12 PGM Motherboard.. other revs may need a different list..... PLUS i recommend 105 Deg C caps.. i also use 125 Deg C caps. Now all caps have different heights.. the PGM needs as short as possible to fit under the PLASTIC!! IF you have modded the plastics.. you may have more height....

Check you PSU / Arcade supply for ripple and noise. AS this WILL effect the sound.. and for that matter any other JAMMA pcb....

-5V is NOT need for the PGM.

OK... few notes. the DSP voltage supply comes from a seprite 7805 TO92 regulator. The caps on incoming and outgoing supply are WAY to small. This reduces ripple and makes the DSP more "stable".

C9 and C10 SHOULD be AT LEAST 100UF 35V LOW ESR caps. You can put a larger cap in IF it fits.....

C8 is 12V supply filter cap for the Amp module. 680UF 25V/35V as long as it fits

C2 is Ripple rejection. Spec says 100UF. BUT higher voltage is lower ESR so i would use a cap larger than 100uf 35v. I DID notice quite a lot of different results across different motherboard / modding this cap. SO your board may behave different to mine. Its a cap to "fiddle" with :P

C3 C4 C5 AGAIN LOW ESR Caps. ALL 680UF 25v/35V as long as they fit.

Thats it guys,

Tim.

Yeah, arcade boards have an amp. Do you have a supergun or anything else to test the board with? It may need a recap.

Do you just want a list of caps silk screen numbers, and what to put in there place??Tim.
I would be very interested and appreciative of this also! My soldering iron is warming up. ;P Thanks Tim!
OK i did this list based of a REV12 PGM Motherboard.. other revs may need a different list..... PLUS i recommend 105 Deg C caps.. i also use 125 Deg C caps. Now all caps have different heights.. the PGM needs as short as possible to fit under the PLASTIC!! IF you have modded the plastics.. you may have more height....
Check you PSU / Arcade supply for ripple and noise. AS this WILL effect the sound.. and for that matter any other JAMMA pcb....

-5V is NOT need for the PGM.

OK... few notes. the DSP voltage supply comes from a seprite 7805 TO92 regulator. The caps on incoming and outgoing supply are WAY to small. This reduces ripple and makes the DSP more "stable".

C9 and C10 SHOULD be AT LEAST 100UF 35V LOW ESR caps. You can put a larger cap in IF it fits.....

C8 is 12V supply filter cap for the Amp module. 680UF 25V/35V as long as it fits

C2 is Ripple rejection. Spec says 100UF. BUT higher voltage is lower ESR so i would use a cap larger than 100uf 35v. I DID notice quite a lot of different results across different motherboard / modding this cap. SO your board may behave different to mine. Its a cap to "fiddle" with :P

C3 C4 C5 AGAIN LOW ESR Caps. ALL 680UF 25v/35V as long as they fit.

Thats it guys,

Tim.
Really appreciate it Tim, will be fun to experiment, ordered up some various caps, we'll see how it goes. I love tinkering on the PGM because it's not the end of the world if something breaks! =)
Yeah, arcade boards have an amp. Do you have a supergun or anything else to test the board with? It may need a recap.
No supergun yet but someday I'll get a HAS. I have a Sega Astro =). Thanks Neo.

of course i love the PGM too :)

Audio is VERY subjective.... BUT if you do the stereo out mod i do to my PGM boards... you will have the BEST sound output....

T.

NOW that i no longer have a Job... I need to find some income for my family....

So i have decided to start selling some of my IGS PGM gear. AT cheap prices to raise funds i will need to live.....

SO if ANYONE is looking for PGM gear.. just let me know.

Tim.
If you have a pimped out Rev14 MB and a KOV Vs Street Fighter cart, would love to buy them, let me know where to send you $$ :)

Last edited:
I think i have contacted everyone.... if i have missed anyone.. please let me know.

T.

Guys, I am glad to had the chance to pick up a rev14 motherboard.

It seems that someone took his hand on to fix sound issues and replaced the sound volume potentiometer on the side.
It is a fix but done without love and looking weird. Would like to bring this beauty back to old honor and searching for a orig volume poti.
May some of you here have a spare poti out from an old non working board.

Guys, I am glad to had the chance to pick up a rev14 motherboard.

It seems that someone took his hand on to fix sound issues and replaced the sound volume potentiometer on the side.
It is a fix but done without love and looking weird. Would like to bring this beauty back to old honor and searching for a orig volume poti.
May some of you here have a spare poti out from an old non working board.
Yeah i hate it when people do that mod!!! I do have 20mm volume pots. BUT you really need 16mm pots. For the 20mm post the case had to be modded to fit it... But i bet they have butchered the case anyway.. so the 20mm would be fine.

I'm in the process of buying 16mm pots.

Poke me if you have a demon front cart !

if it can help you survive the crisis....fuck this virus....

Poke me if you have a demon front cart !

if it can help you survive the crisis....fuck this virus....
If i had some Demon Front.. i would sell it :)

Plus my "Reproduction Like" Demon Front cart isn't finished... yet....
T.

Trying to get ALL "Batch 2" PGM Pre-Modded Motherboards i sell out to custmours ASAP....

A table of PGMs i'm working on.....

T.

Attachments

• wip1.jpg
    wip1.jpg
    668.4 KB · Views: 186
  • wip2.jpg
    wip2.jpg
    633.3 KB · Views: 174
Back