What's new

rewrite

Multi Boyz Litigator
Immortal
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Looks like my Megalo's PSU needs some work. I'm getting 10.38v on the 12v line.

Outside of recapping it, what components should get replaced?

And in regards to recapping it, I know that power supplies need caps with specific ESR ratings - how do I go about finding these?

Sorry to hear that boss. I'd just start with the caps......when I did the Astro City PSU that was dipping, I just looked for anything swollen, and replaced em...sorted it right out. Use good caps, and pick em up locally if you have a shop you trust.

if you have a shop you trust.
Yeah... My local shop charges $9 for a single BNC connector... And the few times I've /had/ to use them for fuses they've been $3-4 per. So I don't go there unless I absolutely have to.

Digikey orders usually show up the next day after I order, so I've been defaulting to them nowadays.

Hi, do you measure the voltage with load?

If you want to recap I recommend you to look for capacitors of the best brands (Rubycon, Panasonic, Nichicon, Chemi-con) from a reputable distributor (Farnell, RS, Mouser) looking into the datasheets to match the specifications of the capacitors you want to replace. Take note of the capacitance, voltage, size, brand and series, then look for alternatives for that specific values.

This is a very good forum specialized on recapping power supplies: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32

I had a defective resistor on an Astro PSU with bad 12V. But can't remember which one, sorry.

Back