What's new

penrhos

Grand Master
Reaction score
I've been outbid a few times on YAJ for the firmware 3.17 update GD-ROM.

I've got a question that I can't find an answer to.

If the CHD's for the firmware updates are available in MAME why can't you burn one and use a zero pic to update a non-net dimm to 3.17?

I know the CHD expands to 1.2Gb so it won't fit on a CD-Rom, but so do many Dreamcast games, so can't the same process be used to get an ISO you can burn to a CD-R?

Or is the Naomi GD-Rom drive subtly different to the Dreamcast one so it won't read CD-R's?

From what I understand, the DIMM unit is not compatible with CD-Rs. Apparently there's a modified 3.17 DIMM firmware which is though.

I looked around the net for it a few months ago but couldn't find it. ||

there is no naomi game that is over 512mb. you need to extract the binary from the track 3

no way ive found to create a cdi that works with naomi

Pity... I'll just have to keep an eye open for a 3.17 GD-Rom - - there's been a couple on YAJ in the last few months. No IC with them though - does it need one?

You could always use the same method to update as for the regular dimm. I know you are trying to avoid that at all costs though.

You've seen my attempts at SMD work. Although I have a couple of faulty PCB's I can practice on now.

Programming the chips is a problem - I have a Dataman S4 (DIP-32 socket) and a GQ-4X (DIP-40 socket) + ADP-054 adapter (DIP-36 - DIP-48)

And the Bios is TSOP 56 or TSOP 48 depending on PCB version. I assume as all TSOP48/56 adapters only goto DIP-48 I'd need to use the ADP-054 and a TSOP to DIP converter with the GQ-4X?

Or am I missing something?

Hacking the 3.17 FW GD-ROM seemed like an option - maybe not...

Back