What's new

Which version of the Namco 2x6 do you own?

• Super System 256 (Time Crisis 4)

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • System 256

Votes: 41 89.1%
  • System 246 C

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • System 246 B

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • System 246 A

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • "Bloody Roar" System 246 (Red Case)

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • "Driving" System 246

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
I think it'd be good to know who owns which variant of this system.

If you own all of them... check them all off :)

Sys256 here, although I enjoy Bloody Roar 3 so I might have to pick up a 246 sometime

Sys 256 from a Tekken 5:DR
Sys 246B from a Tekken 4
Sys 246C from a Soul Calibur 2

246c running Time Crisis 3
256 running everything else I want to play
Someday another 246 for dual TC3 goodness.

Super System 256 (Time Crisis 4)
System 256
System 246 C
System 246 B
System 246 A (Vampire night)

Namco 256 X4 & 1 Run Dead & Black Screen
Namco 246 B x2 including one that only works with Samsung SD-M1802 and nothing else
Namco 246 C x1 & 1 Dead & Black Screen

That's a really interesting variant!
I'm going to have to track one down- if anyone has one, please LMK!

also, you may want to separate the RRV driving PCB and the Wangan Midnight/WMR driving PCB, as the Wangan PCB comes with 64MB RAM car installed, while the RRV only has 32, and as such, WMR will only boot with added memory.

Also, the Bloody Roar pcb is a Model "A", and other than red case is identical.

You have an interesting point and I’m not honestly sure- I’ve seen silver (bare metal) model A with the Jamma interface as well on yahoo auctions but they don’t seem as common- my guess is that Namco moved away from the built in io boards in the middle of this timeframe- dunno though

There’s also an unknown b variant that I’ve only seen in a poor quality auction photo. I’ll dig up the image if you’d like

the point of this poll was to determine the most common variants so we would have a good idea of which versions to target first when testing out multi systems.

For instance I used the information here to determine which platforms to use when testing the ATAPI to SD device. so I tested on System 256 and System 246B

While it's good to know about obscure variations, going into depth about them is probably better suited for another thread.

Im actually interested in purchasing one that can switch between 246 and 256... Any leads?

Im actually interested in purchasing one that can switch between 246 and 256... Any leads?
All System 256's* can switch between 246 and 256.

There are a handful of games that wont work on these though this includes Tekken 4 and Bloody Roar 3.

*Note: Super System 256 isn't included here as Super System 256 only plays Time Crisis 4 and nothing else.

Ahh crud , tekken 4 and br3 are such good games

unfortunately there is no 1 system that can play everything.
Excluding games that require special IO equipment (driving, shooting, touch screen, etc.)
your two best options are
Buy a 256 and play everything except: Bloody Roar 3, Pro Baseball 2002, Smash Court Pro Tournament, and Tekken 4
Buy a 246B or 246C and play everything except: Battle of Yu Yu, Gundam vs Gundam, Gundam Vs Gundam Next, Muscle Grand Prix, Super Dragon Ball Z, Tekken 5, and Tekken 5 DR.

Back