What's new

rewrite

Multi Boyz Litigator
Immortal
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
So I got a DE board with my Swing.

It boots up, shows the title screen, makes sounds, then goes solid green during attract but keeps playing sounds. Then will show the high score screen and title screen again and back to green.

Uneducated guess is that either the custom that's required for sprite scaling / psuedo 3D is dead, or something related to it? It's like 2D screens come up fine, but not the 3D esque ones.

Any ideas?

Are you sure it's not suicided? On S32 games still play but with weird bugs (intended by Sega).

Are you sure it's not suicided? On S32 games still play but with weird bugs (intended by Sega).
Won't know for sure until someone else says what a suicided DE does I suppose.

That'd be a lot nicer than a bad custom.

Throw another rom board on it? Golden axe 2 has the scaling effect when you’re moving vertically on some levels.

Or just try the decrypted roms and remove the FD1149

Last edited:
Throw another rom board on it? Golden axe 2 has the scaling effect when you’re moving vertically on some levels.

Or just try the decrypted roms and remove the FD1149
^^ This :)

GA2 does not boot, but DE can boot and do wierd stuff if i recall correctly. There's no boot up protection in it. It will do wierd zooming and no characters as the size/horizon data is calculated by the FD1149. Also some inputs will break and you may not be able to start a game, 2p inputs borked etc. (in MAME simulations at least.)
So you may be looking at a single green full-screen zoomed pixel (texture from a character?) during attract.

Can you confirm inputs are also borked for 2P? If so, use Apocalypse unprotected romset and remove fd1149 from the board to fix :)

So you may be looking at a single green full-screen zoomed pixel (texture from a character?) during attract.
Ohhh, this may make sense. I just get a full green screen.

I'll see about 2P controls.

I don't actually care about DE, and was thinking about converting it. Just wanted to make sure it works beforehand. Then I'll have 3/4 of the System32 games I care about :).

Inputs for P2 and the selection screen will be borked if it's got a bad FD1149.
Timer on selection screen. P2 can't choose. GFX on selection look ok in mame. It's been a while since i toyed with it :)

No selection screen, no in-game.

Can bring up test menu, can start a game with 1P, but 2P can't seem to pick a character when they join up.

Today it's black, yesterday all of the non-main menu/high score screens were green.

Sounds work fine throughout.

Rather than having a km long thread for such a simple problem just burn the patched ROM.
I don't remember the exact symptoms of a suicided Dark Edge but as said in post #2, looks suicided to me.

Rather than having a km long thread for such a simple problem just burn the patched ROM.
I don't remember the exact symptoms of a suicided Dark Edge but as said in post #2, looks suicided to me.
It's just one ROM? Ha. I'll do it even sooner then.

Ekorz had sent me the file, but I didn't unzip it. I'd intended on doing it later tonight when I'd had time to burn all the ROMs. Didn't realize it was just one.

Yes, it's extremely simple: one single 27C4096 to be burnt (IC8). Takes 5mn and you'll be fixed (but I'm almost positive game has suicided).

Symptoms match so burn away and you should be good to go.

Got it worked out today, and everything is great! Thank you all!

Now that I have another known-working System32 motherboard it's time to figure out why my GA:RoDA romboard has lines through the sprites since I now know that the motherboard isn't the cause!

All sprites? Just some? I’m betting folded rom pin.

All sprites? Just some? I’m betting folded rom pin.
All sprites.

One corner of the romboard has some stuff on it, and two of the 74F245N's are already socketed, while one next to it, and a couple of resistors have corrosion on the legs. I think at least cleaning and resoldering, if not replacing may be a step in the right direction.

Back