What's new

Dreygor

Grand Master
Reaction score
So I got a Sega Blast City recently and the I cleaned it really good and it has a Fantastic picture. The problem I have is it has like ten thousand "micro" scratches in it. What I want/need to know is it safe to buff these out or use a buffing compound like Turtle wax? Or is there a preferred way to get rid of screen scratches?

If you have access to Rain-X you can kinda fill in scratches and buff it to a sheen.
Ive used it on plastics, and especially glass.

If you have access to Rain-X you can kinda fill in scratches and buff it to a sheen.
Man .. I got access to all that stuff .. There's two Wal-Marts in driving distance :p

OK so use a super soft cloth or buffer I assume?

Man .. I got access to all that stuff .. There's two Wal-Marts in driving distance :P
OK so use a super soft cloth or buffer I assume
ULTRA IMPORTANT if you want to take out scratches from glass.
Buy fresh Tshirts from Hanes or good microfiber cloths.
If you want to reduce scratches, DON'T use old cloths as they can introduce more scratches from lodged particulate.
So you'll need fresh wash cloths, fresh drying cloths (x2), RainX application cloth, RainX deapplication cloth and polish.
If you want to go crazy, use distilled water so you have no impurities...

You want to ultra clean your monitor the best you can.
Simple soap and water on a damp cloth is more than adequate.
Don't use Windex as you are prepping to add Rain-X. (mixing chemicals is no bueno with Rain-X)
Use a fresh Tshirt to get it shiny.
Get it nice and dry.

With Rain-X it's best to get a Hanes White tshirt, something soft.
Put the rain-x on the tshirt NOT on the tube, and just rub it in using small circles.
Let it sit for a good 5-10 minutes so it can dry and cure.
Once it's cured, get a fresh Tshirt and with small circles rub it off.
Continue application as need be to improve buildup of wax.

Now... BE WARNED.
Rain-X is an alcohol-based product and could potentially react with protective films on that tube.
While I assume it's all been rubbed off by now, it could cause adverse results (clouding, whatnot)

With that saying, there are reports it's just fine for most applications concerning glass.
To say the least, this worked FANTASTIC for me when I got my WG 19 in my NeoGeo cabinet.

Rain-X also sells a glass claybar/polish kit that's super awesome.
https://www.rainx.com/product/glass...-x-deep-cleaning-windshield-kit/#.XIe3eihKiUk

Yeah looks like a prior owner (before PlaYaing) did exactly that. Cleaned it with whatever rag they had.

Thanks its worth a try! It either works or I still have the same micro scratched screen lol. So I guess no real loss.

Yeah looks like a prior owner (before PlaYaing) did exactly that. Cleaned it with whatever rag they had.

Thanks its worth a try! It either works or I still have the same micro scratched screen lol. So I guess no real loss.
Growing up detailing cars with my dad was a thing.
It still amazes me how a lot of people will go out and buy all the best chemicals in the world, but they'll never buy fresh cloths to detail their ride.
All the judges see is scratch city.

I have a question About removing scratches.

my New Astro City screen had some screatches and i tried to remive them with this stuff.

https://www.amazon.de/Poliboy-Glask...poliboy+ceran&qid=1565093480&s=gateway&sr=8-1

ceran polish.

the problem now is that i have a brighter spot where i used the polish. Looks like there is a kind of layer on these screens.

can somebody tell me what this layer is good for and if ist possible the re apply it because this spot is more annoying than the Scratch which is still there also :(

or is the only way of getting rid of this spot to remove the whole layer now.

thanks a lot guys

You have to remove the whole layer. You buffed out the anti glare coating.

Just buff the whole layer off, you now have a brighter screen, congratulations.

I've known people to use Novus 1/2/3 on screens to get scratches out.

But yeah, if you took out a chunk of the antiglare, you have to take the whole thing down a bit now..

damn me. why did i try to remove that damned Scratch.

has anyone ever removed the Coating and can say if this will make Problems in viewing Quality?

thank you very much guys
Just buff the whole layer off, you now have a brighter screen, congratulations.
you are joking Right? About the brightness being good

I’m serious, my anti-glare(static) coating got partially rubbed off during transport so I had to buff it all out. You will see brighter colors when you are done.

You can search online, most people will say the same.

I’m serious, my anti-glare(static) coating got partially rubbed off during transport so I had to buff it all out. You will see brighter colors when you are done.

You can search online, most people will say the same.
Thanks for the help guys.
I think then it would be best to remove it. @thomas3184
What did you use for rubbing off?

I used the novus mentioned above. Number 3 will get it all off. You’ll know when you have it all off when the novus comes off white instead of pink. You can use number 2 after if you feel like it, but I don’t think it will do anything for the glass. I use number one after to clean it, then use a new cloth with number 1 again and buff it shiny.

I am not familiar with what you used, but sounds like it might be similar to novus 3 since it is removing the layer in the first place.

Novus is an abrasive, nothing magic about it. 3 the most, 1 the least. As with anything if you take a surface like glass and abrade it you're going to make it hazy at first. If you actually want the scratches gone you're going to have to literally sand the glass down to the level of the scratch, and then progressively step up the fine abrasive qualities until you've polished the shine back into it. Not magic, but it's definitely labor.

Back