What's new
Oh incidentally I found some Sony speakers used in soundbars which would make replacements for blast speakers but they're pretty pricey to purchase individually and you would be better off waiting to see if yaton has any more NOS speaker assemblies

I forgot if it auto senses the signal and switches or you have to hook up one or the other.
You have to manually hook up one or the other. If you connect both you will blow the amp.

Ah so the "Line" connector uses the amp on whatever board instead of the built in amp of the blast?
It's the other way around. Line needs to be amplified with the Blast amp.

It's referring to Line level audio (pre-amplification) and speaker as in post amplification like on a car amplifier where inputs can be speaker level (or high level) or line level (low level).
Ah so the "Line" connector uses the amp on whatever board instead of the built in amp of the blast?
I was speaking in general terms. Line level would be using the cabinet amp , just like if connecting your car stereo to an amplifier using RCA/phono leads you are feeding the amp line level audio. If you was using the stereo speaker outputs to drive the amp they are high level ('speaker') outputs as they have already been amplified.
Older cabs didn't have amps in them hence the volume control on the boards.

I've tried the 3d printed speaker replacements they don't sound nearly as good as the original toptone drivers. Toptone themselves don't produce the speaker any more, and I can't find anyone else who makes them in that dimension either, let alone ones that sound same or better. I have a bunch of original drivers, but they mostly suffer from the foam rot. This is why even buying "NOS" ones is not a great solution because they may be soon to rot as well. Really we need someone to make a refoam kit, but I'm not an expert in audio engineering by any means. I know there are refoam kits for other shape drivers, but i don't think you can easily make it work. If someone wants to point me in the right direction as to what type of foam is good to use, I can try to make some 3d printed stencils to cut the shapes out with.

maybe contact parts express to see if they can make a refoam kit. They make them for lots of other drivers. They may already have a kit in the right size.

I’ve been working on a replacement enclosure with better drivers. These will be rear mounted since they are bigger full range drivers.

I have however laser cut new fronts to the originals boxes and mount a new driver array and they sound pretty decent. But everyone wants more low end bass ^^

one of the test setups with simple driver replacement, Im working on doubling the stock amps output to use better drivers for the rear driver mounted enclosures.

Attachments

• IMG_3061.jpg
    IMG_3061.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 275
That's cool... I was actually thinking about doing something similar because I wasn't satisfied with the other replacement speakers' sound. I am curious what the low end is like, do you have a spec sheet for those speakers? or part no?

How are you modifying the amp to double the amps? That sounds interesting...

That's cool... I was actually thinking about doing something similar because I wasn't satisfied with the other replacement speakers' sound. I am curious what the low end is like, do you have a spec sheet for those speakers? or part no?

How are you modifying the amp to double the amps? That sounds interesting...
I'll look up my order, they are on parts express, the best I could find that would fit such a narrow space. They are not bad. I was thinking of adding a side mounted passive radiator to the original case to see if that improved the low end response. I still think a new custom enclosure is the way to go. I just feel like these speaker where an afterthought when sega created the blast, "oh shit, we forgot about speakers, let put them here" lol.

The amp, is still in a test phase. Im still sorta reverse engineering the schematic/component values to see if what Im thinking of will work. Im trying to make it a simple upgrade.

Hey guys,
joining the replacement club XD
Can you tell me what the exact size of the drivers would be?
Aiming to replace them in the next months and in a perfect world I would use the original enclosure.

I was also looking for some replacement parts.
Going to to a full recap job on AMP and PSU this week, next would be the speakers.
I saw quite a lot of Drivers on Digikey that would match the shape of them, but I don't what size to look for.

These Visaton drivers look like they would be a perfect fit....

the specific size you need is 1.7 inches x 4 inches (45 mm x 100mm). There is apparently some small wiggle room as referenced by the sony speakers @tiff_lee mentioned as they are 5cm x 10cm. I have also found a company that makes a 2 x 3.5 inch model and a 2.25 x 4 inch in the correct shape. I dont have links to those as I have heard about them through a 3rd party vendor. If you try the visatons let me know how it goes!

the specific size you need is 1.7 inches x 4 inches (45 mm x 100mm). There is apparently some small wiggle room as referenced by the sony speakers @tiff_lee mentioned as they are 5cm x 10cm. I have also found a company that makes a 2 x 3.5 inch model and a 2.25 x 4 inch in the correct shape. I dont have links to those as I have heard about them through a 3rd party vendor. If you try the visatons let me know how it goes!
I got some pictures somewhere i'll get them uploaded when back at home as overseas at the minute

Thanks! I'll look up if I find something in this size. For this month I do not plan to do the swap, but maybe I'll get this project started by end of November or so.
Still have to recap my 2nd blast PSU/AMP before I'll tackle this.

I would love to see what speakers you guys find that work. The only speakers that seem to be close to a match are the tv oem stuff used by different tv manufacturers, etc...so most of these are some offbrand unnamed ones, which at times make the search a bit more difficult.

I really think the best way to go about this is to recreate the enclosure, or adapt to use larger and more common drivers, most likely rear mounted to the enclosure.

The only OEM/TV ones I could find that are close to the correct size are some no longer made sony's from a sound bar (probably the ones @tiff_lee was talking about) There's an ebay listing for them here. https://www.ebay.com/i/223600567338

I think the visatons could probably work with a bit of extra space or some other kind of bracket, but I'm not sure. I'll probably order a set and try them out, they're only like 8 dollars a piece.

Yeah, they might work, if I had a cab I would be able to work out something better, but I just don’t have measurements to what clearances I have to work with.

From what I gather from most people is that the stock setup lacks bass/low end and that that tweeter is too harsh. Is that how most feel the stock speakers are??

I've been down this speaker replacement path before(pretty sure I posted about my experience earlier). I ended up attempting to re-foam the surrounds with a sheet of foam from a craft store and some tacky glue. It's a cheap solution to eliminate the "farting" from blown Blast speakers. You loose most of the bass since the foam I used was pretty stiff being such a small area to cover. If anyone does find a better solution, I'd love to know.

I went so far as to send a Blast driver to Misco for their engineers to see if they could fabricate them, but they came back with a big "no"...(Misco manufactures a drop in replacement speaker for Versus Citys)

Attachments

• IMG_20180809_143704_c.jpg
    IMG_20180809_143704_c.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 258
Yeah, I tried talking to a couple of custom speaker manufacturers (mostly for guitar amps) around here, and no one had anything even close to the right dimensions, and didn't have the tooling to manufacture anything.

Back