What's new
OK, does anyone have one to measure? If not, I'll buy one.
The problem isn't just that they're expensive ($1000USD each these days) - it's that they don't come up for sale and those that have them aren't interested in seeing the price become more reasonable so won't help see them repro'd :(

Not saying there isn't someone out there who would help, but they're either not willing to loan them out because of their value (fair enough) or don't want to see a repro

The problem isn't just that they're expensive ($1000USD each these days) - it's that they don't come up for sale and those that have them aren't interested in seeing the price become more reasonable so won't help see them repro'd :(
Not saying there isn't someone out there who would help, but they're either not willing to loan them out because of their value (fair enough) or don't want to see a repro
I know few members here owning those spinners. But as you said, none would probably accept to give something as simple as exact dimensions. :cursing:

I don’t know if that’s a good bar to compare to. I mean, has CPS2 and CPS3 board prices dramatically declined since the release of the Multi’s? Nope.

How about original Star Wars yokes? Repro’s have been made, but the originals still hold their value. Same with the Major Havok roller.

Collectors will still pay high prices for originals, and will likely thumb their noses at repros. (I can see guys like Jassin being one of those dudes). But I don’t think they should be worried about value decreases for the originals when repros are made. In fact, they can use that as ammo for their further extorted prices.

It's one of those things I guess.

It's a shame they're not willing to help but at the end of the day they own them.

Last edited:
do the originals have buttons in them?

Anyways I'd be down for a set

I do know that someone reprod the capcom center part. But if this ends up being a real thing I wouldn't mind a fake one with arcade projects artwork on it.

I don’t mind buying those, but they are the wrong ones. Those are the shitty US ones in bad condition. The repro ones are based on the Japanese ones.

Both the JP / US are shitty, I have tried both. I would say the US are easier on the fingers because they dont have the finger holes/depresssions and have a smoother/contoured top. The JP ones, after some play, get really tiring/almost painful on the fingers from rubbing on the depression lip/edge. I didnt feel it was as bad with the US ones. But, both suck in the sense that they are tiring to use. @twistedsymphony expressed a similar feeling when he tried the game with original spinners. For my preference, I would rather have the controller be just the joystick and spinner, and move the shoot button be a foot pedal instead.

From what I have seen from the original US spinners, the most difficult part to reproduce would be the bearing assembly. You want to get the spinners to feel just right like the originals.

The JP ones, after some play, get really tiring/almost painful on the fingers from rubbing on the depression lip/edge. I didnt feel it was as bad with the US ones
THIS! I actually really love the smooth and weighty feel of the USA spinner, and the Japanese ones look painful to use.

the most difficult part to reproduce would be the bearing assembly. You want to get the spinners to feel just right like the originals.
Also this. The slide bearings really need to be done right for a repo to work at all. the basic design of the Capcom spinners isn't much different than the Taito ones but the slide bearings are key to ensuring smooth operation and that they last through a long number of plays. without a proper bearing there you'll wear out the shaft surfaces pretty quickly.

We are now trying to source gears and sensors and of course doing the little boards (i don't know who can design it in eagle, but i will search for someone, maybe over China).
Regarding the gears, we are check how much would be for them and if we can do them, not in plastic like the original but in metal.
We will see.
The electronic boards will be based on the Taito 4 pin board (the old board), since it seems much more easy to do.
Regarding the top part, i don't know if the US feels better than the JP but for sure the JP is a nicer looking one (to my taste).

As i already told you, this will be done for sure since they love to have it, but ours personal one will be based on the Taito 6 pin spinner, since we have them NOS.
They will be modify using only the top part of the Capcom and the button.

For a complete repro all the works listed below are to do and we are looking into them.

We are now trying to source gears and sensors and of course doing the little boards (i don't know who can design it in eagle, but i will search for someone, maybe over China).
Someone who designs PCBs for other projects like @Frank_fjs or @undamned might be able to help here?

I could do it but I'd need to have an original PCB in hand to reverse engineer it.

Otherwise most PCB fabrication places offer this service.

I could do it but I'd need to have an original PCB in hand to reverse engineer it.

Otherwise most PCB fabrication places offer this service.
Thank you Frank.
I'll try to have this looked by a friend.
In case, do you have some link to one of this place?
I want to avoid to bother you if possible.
:)

The trick is to palm the spinner, not hold it like you're playing arkanoid or warlords.

full repros

There's going to be several costly components here
- the bearings assembly namely... you'd have to find a replacement. look at that thing lol
- the amount of gears to replace, I'm not sure if you can 3d print them with good resolution enough and injection molding that many different parts...

46426016495_97833ef3d0_z.jpg

I'm happy to take one of my apart and measure everything but honestly, a conversion kit for a taito spinner makes a lot more sense.

The trick is to palm the spinner, not hold it like you're playing arkanoid or warlords.

full repros

There's going to be several costly components here
- the bearings assembly namely... you'd have to find a replacement. look at that thing lol
- the amount of gears to replace, I'm not sure if you can 3d print them with good resolution enough and injection molding that many different parts...

46426016495_97833ef3d0_z.jpg

I'm happy to take one of my apart and measure everything but honestly, a conversion kit for a taito spinner makes a lot more sense.
Wow…
This is a relly complex gear…..
Honestly i think that "maybe" this could be reproed only if the guy that is doing the repro topper, have it in his hands.
Maybe he will be able to do it in 3d and then reproed….

For sure Taito gears are much less complex and much more easy to have.
We got a catalogue of parts with a lot of gears and we are trying to source metal gear that are the same (or really really similar) in that catalogue...but they are costly...maybe a 3d printed repro would be better and cheaper.
Don't know.

Love what you guys are doing! I'm in for a set or I have two Taito spinners waiting to be converted.

the bearings assembly namely... you'd have to find a replacement. look at that thing lol
That looks like a thrust roller bearing pressed into a custom brass housing. if you find the envelope dimensions of the bearing it shouldn't be too difficult to source, the housing will need to be custom made for sure though.

the amount of gears to replace, I'm not sure if you can 3d print them with good resolution enough and injection molding that many different parts...
3D printing can actually make really good gears if they're made right... HOWEVER they really need to be printed in nylon for wear resistance and strength (which require a very high temp and fully enclosed/temp controlled printer). And they need to be made with a printer that has a high chassis rigidity (fully framed printer, not one of those cheap ones with only center posts) because any vibrations or skewing of the axis during printing will be quite noticeable in the final printed part and you'll be able to feel it in the action.

I honestly would not recommend metal gears for this, they'll be very noisy and have a much shorter wear life than nylon gears, require more regular maintenance to keep them greased, put more drag on the spinner action not to mention they'll be more expensive.

I'd be willing to bet you could find adequate replacements off-the-shelf as there are a lot of plastic gears available for everything from paper printers, to RC cars and Disc drives.

Back