What's new
the bearings assembly namely... you'd have to find a replacement. look at that thing lol
That looks like a thrust roller bearing pressed into a custom brass housing. if you find the envelope dimensions of the bearing it shouldn't be too difficult to source, the housing will need to be custom made for sure though.

the amount of gears to replace, I'm not sure if you can 3d print them with good resolution enough and injection molding that many different parts...
3D printing can actually make really good gears if they're made right... HOWEVER they really need to be printed in nylon for wear resistance and strength (which require a very high temp and fully enclosed/temp controlled printer). And they need to be made with a printer that has a high chassis rigidity (fully framed printer, not one of those cheap ones with only center posts) because any vibrations or skewing of the axis during printing will be quite noticeable in the final printed part and you'll be able to feel it in the action.
I honestly would not recommend metal gears for this, they'll be very noisy and have a much shorter wear life than nylon gears, require more regular maintenance to keep them greased, put more drag on the spinner action not to mention they'll be more expensive.

I'd be willing to bet you could find adequate replacements off-the-shelf as there are a lot of plastic gears available for everything from paper printers, to RC cars and Disc drives.
Thanks for all the technical suggestions.
We will see what's come out.
For sure it's easier to just use a Taito spinner and mod it using the repro topper and the button….

Brass is fine (quieter than steel), but yeah, there's gotta be catalogs of generic nylon gears that could be used.
-ud

Hi all,

New member here. I’ve joined to get some mister addons that’s for sale on these forums, then I noticed this thread which is talking about my favourite game in the universe.

Anyhow, I have a couple pairs of the spinners, all of which comes complete with pcb and leaf switch. Not the Japanese ones unfortunately, though they’re all made in Japan. One set runs perfect, incredibly smooth and a joy to use. The other set makes a scratchy sound which makes me think the bearings are not clean, though I’m not really sure. As such, it’s also not the smoothest running thing and I was intending to fix it one day.

People really need to play forgotten worlds as it’s meant to be played, with original spinners. Anything else is comical. In saying that, I’m happy to donate the second set for this repro. As I’m in Australia, perhaps I can send it to frank_fjs for measurements and for the pcb? I’ve got the harness wire as well if that helps?

Let me know.

ya I think the harness wire would be nice so someone can duplicate it.

Hi all,

New member here. I’ve joined to get some mister addons that’s for sale on these forums, then I noticed this thread which is talking about my favourite game in the universe.

Anyhow, I have a couple pairs of the spinners, all of which comes complete with pcb and leaf switch. Not the Japanese ones unfortunately, though they’re all made in Japan. One set runs perfect, incredibly smooth and a joy to use. The other set makes a scratchy sound which makes me think the bearings are not clean, though I’m not really sure. As such, it’s also not the smoothest running thing and I was intending to fix it one day.

People really need to play forgotten worlds as it’s meant to be played, with original spinners. Anything else is comical. In saying that, I’m happy to donate the second set for this repro. As I’m in Australia, perhaps I can send it to frank_fjs for measurements and for the pcb? I’ve got the harness wire as well if that helps?

Let me know.
That is one hell of an introduction!

Welcome to the forum :D

If you haven't already, you should post in the Aussie roll call, there's a few of us on here from around the country

Hi all,

Let me know.
Welcome! From your second set, I would love to buy one of the spinners. I’ve been looking to get one to be able to reproduce it for a while now, there are a few of us here in the US ready to work on it. @twistedsymphony @rewrite

Last edited:
Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in response. I’ve been away for work of late. I do want to donate for the cause here.

So, I’m sending one of the spinner (from the dodgy set) to Derick2k for the repro to happen? If so, anyone know what’s the best delivery option from AU to the USA?

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in response. I’ve been away for work of late. I do want to donate for the cause here.

So, I’m sending one of the spinner (from the dodgy set) to Derick2k for the repro to happen? If so, anyone know what’s the best delivery option from AU to the USA?

Cheers
Welcome to the forum Hunterhunter it’s a great place with loads of helpful people , Also What a great and generous offer donating your spinner ,I’d love to play forgotten worlds the way it’s meant to be played and hopefully now it can happen with your offer and everyone else’s Hardwork :thumbsup:

Hi all,

Cheers
Awesome, I will PM you my info. It’s very generous of you. I will pay shipping and of course for the spinner. PM sent.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Cheers

Hi :

Australia post satchel 3 or 5 kg is fine. I would think you would pack it well and be it in the satchel. Airmail for such a smallish item dependant on the packaging.
Also couriers please is very good for service and you should be able to insure it.
https://www.couriersplease.com.au/service-perth

But this is s Western Australia service. Should do pickup elsewhere to usa?

A good service is
https://au.interparcel.com/

And so easy to use. Plus used them before very reliable, efficient and fast. Would suggest this service, but it is yours to devide.

You could also try toll and fedex. Not a big fan of dhl here. As we all well know
the care of shipping parcels, some companies just do not care.

Also count me in on a set interest check please. If this does come about

Good luck
With the freight

Regards
Euphoria

hi there, if you manage to build replicas that work put me down for a set of 2. This is amazing! Forgotten worlds is one of my all time faves! Registered to this site when i saw what you are doing!

Hi Euphoria,

Thanks for the info mate. In the end, I sent it via Aussie Post which outsources express delivery to the US to EMS. So it’s on it’s way Derick2k for the repro.

Cheers
A very special thank you to @Hunterhunter for providing the following:

4B2773E0-59B5-46F9-B7ED-F605E05D4F77.jpeg
6D062B88-1CD1-4B58-BA00-0F23708E6492.jpeg

This spinner will be used to make what I hope to be as exact replicas as possible. I’m already in talks with a precision bearing shop and another for the cnc mill work.

Attachments

• FE476CAC-5A4A-4A5A-8F62-1FBF4AFBFBDC.jpeg
    FE476CAC-5A4A-4A5A-8F62-1FBF4AFBFBDC.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 217
YES!!!! Looking forward to the development of this. :)

Back