What's new
If you don't like the game, you'd be better off selling it and then buying a Pacmania or Galaga 88 for conversion purposes. An original Splatterhouse is one of the more expensive System 1 boards.
Thanks for the tip. However, seems that those two aren't anymore that dirt cheap/common either...

I think it's better to keep Splatterhouse in stock just in case I want to convert it some day. At least it's already in my hands and works properly. That's two steps more than buying another unknown board somewhere + ship it here...

Other stuff I got last weekend: Terminator 2 boardset (will try these with Operation Thunderbolt cabinet when I find time), Vimana, Phoenix, Gravitar, Mr. Do's Castle

So far tested all others except T2 and Phoenix and all works and are original stuff. There is also Space Duel cabinet with spare boards (and Black Widow) waiting for pick-up...

Here's mine, both sides ...

Attachments

• IMG_20181205_174907_HHT.jpg
    IMG_20181205_174907_HHT.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_20181205_174920_HHT.jpg
    IMG_20181205_174920_HHT.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 277
Preface, I'm a Splatterhouse nut.
Ok so not to derail this but it kinda churns the mystery.
There's a rumor that around 100 or so US PCBs were made for test markets in big cities and that's it.
It was known to have not passed "morality standards" so it was kinda put in moritorium of sorts.

So were all US cabinets just a JPN board or were there US only variants?
Are serials on these PCBs rather low or similar?
Was there any story on how you got your PCB or perhaps special circumstance finding one?
Does anybody know how many were even made?
Is any of this rumor above true for the US-based boards? (rarity, made of impossitanium, etc)

The only time I physically saw a real US Splatterhouse in a dedicated cabinet was at a high-school function in 1993.
They called in an entertainment company with arcade games to have them there for the night.
After that, never again I saw an official US PCB outside of a JPN or conversion of some hack. (like the one I own)

Cool thread :)

What I can tell about mine:

Friend of mine who sold it to me said that it came to him a long long time ago with other boards. He bought it from Finland from some old (now long gone) arcade operator.

My board has a sticker with Japanese characters next to the jamma-connector.

I can take a look for the serial tonight and post it here.

Preface, I'm a Splatterhouse nut.
Ok so not to derail this but it kinda churns the mystery.
There's a rumor that around 100 or so US PCBs were made for test markets in big cities and that's it.
It was known to have not passed "morality standards" so it was kinda put in moritorium of sorts.
I'm also a huge Splatterhouse fan, but only the first game in the arcade...
My snobbery would never allow me to play console only sequels to arcade games back in the day.
I've attempted to relax my personal restrictions to allow for Splatterhouse 2 on Genesis/Megadrive, as it's a great game I shouldn't have missed.
All the others (SP3-Gen, SP-Xbox360/PS4) suck IMO.
I've heard a similar story, but IDK if I buy it... I'll give you two reasons why...

Chiller (1986)
hqdefault.jpg

Ghouls and Ghosts (1988)
256px-Ghouls_and_Ghosts_sales_flyer.png

Splatterhouse's content fits perfectly someplace between these two games.
Both were common enough that I had seem them in arcades (admittedly Chiller was more rare but I did see it).

I don't believe arcade operators would have refused to stock a game they could see as a potential money maker over some violence.
Perhaps a few, but certainly not all of them. I suspected more to Namco's side of the story, like they didn't want potential bad press.

After all this was America's darling Pac-Man company (I ate the serial and watched the cartoon on Saturday's for fucks sake)!
047b3020e04e63e9b4be7db6c0da0315.jpg

pac-man-1982_L25.jpg

"Now kids wash that down with some bloodsoaked hockey mask violence from the same company that brought you Pac-Man!"
19.jpg

Splatterhouse_arcadeflyer.png

So were all US cabinets just a JPN board or were there US only variants?
Are serials on these PCBs rather low or similar?
Was there any story on how you got your PCB or perhaps special circumstance finding one?
Does anybody know how many were even made?
Is any of this rumor above true for the US-based boards? (rarity, made of impossitanium, etc)
US cabinets I assume would have received the World revision PCB (and if so indistinguishable from Euro PCBs).
Japan meanwhile has two known revisions according to MAME.

Only Namco would have known the real production numbers behind its manufacture.
Arcade company's played so fast and loose at that time, its questionable if they have retained that information today (I suspect just ruff figures).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also a huge Splatterhouse fan...My snobbery would never allow me to play console only sequels to arcade games back in the day.
I've attempted to relax my personal restrictions to allow for Splatterhouse 2 on Genesis/Megadrive, as it's a great game I shouldn't have missed.
All the others (SP3-Gen, SP-Xbox360/PS4) suck IMO.
Thanks for the details.
The internet has a lot of lore and rumors it was "banned" thus my curiosity.
Splatterhouse 2 tho. Its like a fine wine.

Splatterhouse 2 tho. Its like a fine wine.
You could call it that... and I do think it's a good game.
Something about console only sequels to arcade games will always prevent me from truly enjoying any genius they may or may not possess.
9XqNQpe.png

So there are 3 different revisions to this game. You can tell by looking at the program roms.

This is purely speculation and not confirmed information.

SH1 is the original JP version
SH2 is the world version
SH3 is the "US" version.

I had an SH3 board years ago and was the person who dumped the roms and submitted them to the MAME team. The SH3 version has more text when you insert a coin. Instead of "Push 1P" it says the more complete "Push one player start only"

Don't mean to derail the thread, but is it possible to get stereo out of this board? I've heard you can, but never found proper instructions on how to do so.

There is a Molex Female connector on the PCB, select Stereo through the options menu. Sound on Namco Sys 1 rocks!

There is a Molex Female connector on the PCB, select Stereo through the options menu. Sound on Namco Sys 1 rocks!
Wait... I only see 1 channel on my board.
Everywhere I look I only see 1 channel, even on originals.
There is balance and EQ on this board too so....is Splatterhouse Stereo?
stereololwut.jpg

My board is SH1 and the serial... If I'm looking on the correct place (near the jamma connector and dip-switches): 8617963201 / 8617961201

Can someone help me with my Conversion?

I have a Pac-Mania and am looking to convert to Splatterhouse. I have the patched Rom Sets, but is there a guide that shows what EPRom type to use for each file?

Be careful, you'll need non jedec 27C1000 for the mask roms

Hmmm I don't even know what that means....

Is there a source for these?

Back