Pinned Sega System 16B multi kit installation & support

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• funkycochise wrote:

I have a problem with fantasy zone. It hangs when I coin the game. Has anyone encounter this behavior ?
      sir , try to write that rom on a new (unused , unerased) 27c322 ... but , Apocalypse must tell you what rom keeps the Fantasy Zone. I've had some problems with sprites on Golden Axe & Wrestle War... i've writed on 5 x 27c322 , and only one was good on multi pcb . even the programmer shows me the eeprom is good for use , the multi doesn't like it for some reason.
      Multi's: CPS2 / F3 / M72 / NA1-2 / System16 B / Namco System1 Vector Labs' 4 in 1 (Horizontal)
      Superguns : HAS v3.1
      Scalers : OSSC v1.6 / RetroTINK-2X
      Scart switch : Gscartsw V5.2
      JNX: Spitfire
      NAC: Splitfire

My Arcade Stuff

The post was edited 1 time, last by AlxUnderBase ().

• funkycochise wrote:

I have a problem with fantasy zone. It hangs when I coin the game. Has anyone encounter this behavior ?
      It's because one of the dipswitches has to be set off. But I don't remember which one.
      Looking for:
      - faulty Space Harrier or Enduro Racer
      - Super Nintendo CPU (3 needed)
      - Sega trackball I/O board 837-8685 (will be reproduced and gerbers made freely available)

"I'd 1cc games but I have a real life."
      01010011 01000101 01000011 01010010 01000101 01010100 00100000 01001101 01000101 01001110 01010101 00100000 01000111 01010101 01011001
    • Apocalypse wrote:

3b) If your board was equipped with a custom MC8123 sound CPU module swap it for a normal Z80A CPU. Sega has installed a Z80A (4Mhz) on the S16B motherboards where sound CPU runs @ 5Mhz, probably the extra 1Mhz was considered acceptable for the CPU. You can go for a Z80B (6MHz) if you're scared.
      Any issues going with a Z80 8mhz pulled from a CPS2 A-board? I just have it handy. Otherwise will find a place online somewhere to buy one.
    • Hi guys,

Had to wait for a programmer to turn up but have now installed my multi. I have an issue where some of the games are not working. Everything up to and including Action Fighter is OK, but then from Aurail to Wrestle War they stop working. Riot City to Bloxeed also all work fine.

I'm guessing maybe a couple of ROMs haven't written correctly? Any ideas?

Andy
    • r-type wrote:

Hi guys,

Had to wait for a programmer to turn up but have now installed my multi. I have an issue where some of the games are not working. Everything up to and including Action Fighter is OK, but then from Aurail to Wrestle War they stop working. Riot City to Bloxeed also all work fine.

I'm guessing maybe a couple of ROMs haven't written correctly? Any ideas?

Andy
      Did you have some 27c322 spares ? Try to write again rom9 on one 27c322 and see whats happen!
      Multi's: CPS2 / F3 / M72 / NA1-2 / System16 B / Namco System1 Vector Labs' 4 in 1 (Horizontal)

My Arcade Stuff
    • @AlxUnderBase Thanks for the reply.

I did have to order some more M27C322s. One from the kit wouldn't write successfully, so replaced that. I did order 1 from one seller and 5 from another. I am still waiting for the 5 to turn up so will try what you suggest when they arrive.

I did read every ROM I had programmed, saved it as a BIN and then and compared them against the files from the roll up. All the M27C322s were identical when checked however.

Andy
    • some of my experience was related earlier in the theard ... but of course , now because you have programmer , will be awesome to grab spares of almoast every eeprom type to have it on needs ... this way you will not be forced to wait them to arrieve from the shops you buy them . Also , from what i know , in Europe , the prices for Eeproms are expensive . I used to grab them from China , like almoast everyone ... in any rate , even the programmer tell you the eeprom is good to be used (if the eeprom was previously used and erased and give it to you like new , only to program it) its not a certain step . In this case , like other cases , you can be sure everything is ok only if the eeproms are NEW .

My Arcade Stuff
    • New

I just got around to putting this multi together, here is what I have been using. I wanted to write down my experience for people who were like me and never burned an eprom ever. Thanks to everyone on this thread, its made this process much easier especially the how to video by @ShootTheCore :thumbsup:

What I used:
      Windows Xp (Nice $100 Dell laptop off Ebay)
      Top3000 Eprom burner ($137 Shipped, First time around the seller sent me the wrong item, took about 3 weeks to get this. Software was Ver8.82)
      My Donor board (WB3 Monster Lair, this is one of my mintiest boards glad it was a B-Type)
      UV Eprom Eraser (Ebay $30 shipped) On the way
      Copper Foil Tape (To cover the eprom windows, this is ok but not neccessary)

Videos that helped me:
      Tech Tools Eprom Burner & Eraser
      Top3000 Universal Programmer

This board came with a Z80 and I get sound, is this normal? Do I need to swap this with a Z80A or leave it as is? I did purchase two Z80A's off buyICnow.com before starting this process. They should arrive in a week.
      freeimage.host/i/3cECb4

I only checked a few games like Eswat, Altered Beast and Shinobi and they all worked great with zero lines and I had sound. I know I messed up on burning rom U7, first time using this software for the Top3000 and I was just clicking like crazy. I don't have an eraser but one is already on the way.

Turns out I'm missing graphics on a couple games like Super League, Fantasy Zone and Passing Shot (No heads on the characters and missing ship on Fantasy Zone) But I am assuming its because of rom U7. It's the only eprom that gave me trouble the rest burned and checked out perfectly.

Roughly took around 8 minutes to burn each rom.

This is a great multi, thanks again everyone!
      -John

The post was edited 3 times, last by friedpotatoz ().

• New

friedpotatoz wrote:

Turns out I'm missing graphics on a couple games like Super League, Fantasy Zone and Passing Shot (No heads on the characters and missing ship on Fantasy Zone) But I am assuming its because of rom U7. It's the only eprom that gave me trouble the rest burned and checked out perfectly.
      U7 holds sprites for Aurail & Cotton.
      U13 holds sprites for Super League, WBIII, Passing Shot, S.D.I., Time Scanner, Flash Point, Tetris, Bloxeed, Action Fighter and Fantasy Zone. You should check that one.
      Looking for:
      - faulty Space Harrier or Enduro Racer
      - Super Nintendo CPU (3 needed)
      - Sega trackball I/O board 837-8685 (will be reproduced and gerbers made freely available)

"I'd 1cc games but I have a real life."
      01010011 01000101 01000011 01010010 01000101 01010100 00100000 01001101 01000101 01001110 01010101 00100000 01000111 01010101 01011001