Pinned Sega System 16B multi kit installation & support

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• sugar4salt wrote:

Is it going to cause a trouble if i use mc68000p12 instead if p10?
      I am waiting my p10 to be arrive but it is taking ages. If it doesn’t cause trouble, i want to use p12 which i have right now.
      use it with confidence ... that are the freqvency (speed) 12.5 Mhz vs 10Mhz of MCU (doesn't affect nothing) ... only problems are if the Z80 isn't the right one . if will don't work , only bad thing can happened is black screen ... after that you will know , the MCU isn't right , but i'm sure will work !
      Multi's: CPS2 / F3 / M72 / NA1-2 / System16 B / Namco System1 Vector Labs' 4 in 1 (Horizontal)
      Superguns : HAS v3.1
      Scalers : OSSC v1.6 / RetroTINK-2X
      Scart switch : Gscartsw V5.2
      JNX: Spitfire
      NAC: Splitfire

My Arcade Stuff

The post was edited 3 times, last by AlxUnderBase ().

• AlxUnderBase wrote:

sugar4salt wrote:

I am waiting my p10 to be arrive but it is taking ages. If it doesn’t cause trouble, i want to use p12 which i have right now.
      use it with confidence ... that are the freqvency (speed) 12.5 Mhz vs 10Mhz of MCU (doesn't affect nothing) ... only problems are if the Z80 isn't the right one . if will don't work , only bad thing can happened is black screen ... after that you will know , the MCU isn't right , but i'm sure will work !
      Thank you for your advise. Since my donor board is Tetris which is 16B, z80 won't be a problem i guess? I am definitely going to try with p12 tomorrow.
    • sugar4salt wrote:

AlxUnderBase wrote:

sugar4salt wrote:

Thank you for your advise. Since my donor board is Tetris which is 16B, z80 won't be a problem i guess? I am definitely going to try with p12 tomorrow.
      Yes , my Wrestle War comes equiped with Z80A CPU who replace MC8123 chip and M68KP10 instead FD1094 . So ... Apocalypse reccomend P10 on Motorola 68K ... Sorry for mistake , but , i've made mistake... should be rated on 10Mhz ... Ask Apocalypse if is good on 12.5Mhz . Don't try it until you will have a confirmation from him !
      Multi's: CPS2 / F3 / M72 / NA1-2 / System16 B / Namco System1 Vector Labs' 4 in 1 (Horizontal)
      Superguns : HAS v3.1
      Scalers : OSSC v1.6 / RetroTINK-2X
      Scart switch : Gscartsw V5.2
      JNX: Spitfire
      NAC: Splitfire

My Arcade Stuff
    • 10Mhz or 12Mhz is perfectly fine.
      Looking for:
      - faulty Space Harrier or Enduro Racer
      - Super Nintendo CPU (3 needed)
      - Sega trackball I/O board 837-8685 (for repro, would release gerbers)
      - Sega Nomad CPU board

"I'd 1cc games but I have a real life."
      01010011 01000101 01000011 01010010 01000101 01010100 00100000 01001101 01000101 01001110 01010101 00100000 01000111 01010101 01011001
    • New

One EPROM that came with mine was completely dead so I had to wait until the EPROMs I ordered as backups arrived. They arrived and I got it burnt fine but now I get nothing. Just a black screen. I'm using Golden Axe as a base-system but I also have a phoenixed Shinobi that I'll test with later just in case. Is there anything simple I should check for before I remove and re-validate each ROM?

I'm using a GQ-4X btw.
    • New

laevateinn wrote:

One EPROM that came with mine was completely dead so I had to wait until the EPROMs I ordered as backups arrived. They arrived and I got it burnt fine but now I get nothing. Just a black screen. I'm using Golden Axe as a base-system but I also have a phoenixed Shinobi that I'll test with later just in case. Is there anything simple I should check for before I remove and re-validate each ROM?

I'm using a GQ-4X btw.
      Are you running with a stock 68K, Z80 and empty other socket (I forget what goes there)?
      -the Goat
      Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
    • New

Hi all. I'm working on burning some ROMs for the Sega System 16b multi. My setup is a GQ-4x4 with a ADP-054 adapter.

I was able to write u14 (27C080) without issue. I've also burned many other roms that did not require the adaptor without issue.

The larger roms (M27C322) require the adapter. Initially my writes failed around the 50% mark. Then I saw J1 needs to be jumped to 2-3 instead of 1-2 for 27c322 (it literally says it on the PCB). My writes now complete, but fail immediately at the verify step. I've tried 5 different eprom chips.

I've tried J5 which is the jumper for compatibility issues in either setting. I've tried slowing the write down from +2 to 0 and also -2. I've tried with and without an external power adapter, though the device is plugged directly into the laptop.

This is my log buffer if it helps:

27c322.bin.
      ID check skipped
      Writing... Buffer
      Elapsed time: 459.80 seconds.
      Device write completed OK
      ID check skipped
      Verifying... Buffer
      Verify Failed, Address=0x000A15, Device=0x07, Buffer=0x00
      Verify Failed
      Elapsed time: 162.61 seconds.

Appreciate any help.

The post was edited 2 times, last by duffcon (13 hours ago).

The post was edited 3 times, last by duffcon ().

Post by duffcon ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves: edited for more detail ().
    • New

the Goat wrote:

laevateinn wrote:

I'm using a GQ-4X btw.
      Are you running with a stock 68K, Z80 and empty other socket (I forget what goes there)?

KalessinDB wrote:

Ooh yeah the MCU-1 chip I think it is? My Golden Axe had one and I had to remove it to get my multi to run. Check that!
      I went ahead and tried it out in my Shinobi (which has already had the Z80 replaced) and same thing. Guess the next step is to double check all the roms.
    • New

duffcon wrote:

Hi all. I'm working on burning some ROMs for the Sega System 16b multi. My setup is a GQ-4x4 with a ADP-054 adapter.

I was able to write u14 (27C080) without issue. I've also burned many other roms that did not require the adaptor without issue.

The larger roms (M27C322) require the adapter. Initially my writes failed around the 50% mark. Then I saw J1 needs to be jumped to 2-3 instead of 1-2 for 27c322 (it literally says it on the PCB). My writes now complete, but fail immediately at the verify step. I've tried 5 different eprom chips.

I've tried J5 which is the jumper for compatibility issues in either setting. I've tried slowing the write down from +2 to 0 and also -2. I've tried with and without an external power adapter, though the device is plugged directly into the laptop.

This is my log buffer if it helps:

27c322.bin.
      ID check skipped
      Writing... Buffer
      Elapsed time: 459.80 seconds.
      Device write completed OK
      ID check skipped
      Verifying... Buffer
      Verify Failed, Address=0x000A15, Device=0x07, Buffer=0x00
      Verify Failed
      Elapsed time: 162.61 seconds.

Appreciate any help.

The post was edited 2 times, last by duffcon (13 hours ago).

you can see the verify fails right away because of the difference in the first line:

Left side is on the chip, right side is the rom image. Every other line that i've checked matches; I wonder if that 06 vs the ff really matters?
      Images
      • Capture2.PNG

457.7 kB, 1,575×491, viewed 8 times
    • New

Follow up. I ignored the errors and burned all the roms. The board mostly seems to work. There are a few titles that have some issues:

Aurail - Doesn't work at all, black screen
      Altered Beast - Game works, sound randomly doesn't work at all.
      Toryumon - No sound at all (don't really care, just for reference)
      Passing Shot - No sound at all (see above)

Note that this was a Aurail donor board. I'm sure it's a bad rom burn, any ideas which one?
    • New

duffcon wrote:

you can see the verify fails right away because of the difference in the first line:

Left side is on the chip, right side is the rom image. Every other line that i've checked matches; I wonder if that 06 vs the ff really matters?
      First byte does matter since it's the vector for code entry point on program ROMs and contain data in other ROMs.
      It's highly unlikely a ROM has only first byte faulty since those devices work as arrays.
      Several ROMs having that exact same issue is impossible to me.
      Looks like an issue with your programmer (delay) causing it to miss the first write. The 0xFF value is the default one when ROM is properly erased.
      Looking for:
      - Sega Nomad CPU board

01010011 01000101 01000011 01010010 01000101 01010100 00100000 01001101 01000101 01001110 01010101 00100000 01000111 01010101 01011001
    • New

@buffaloj0e sent me his s16 multi to install, however have run into the following issues. Have tried erasing and re-burining the ROMS three times now. Here's what I'm seeing for half the games.

I checked the PCB and noticed this chip wasn't soldered properly, so I desoldered and soldered it in properly, but the multi still has issues.

Hopefully someone has an idea where to start looking.

NOT WORKING (SPRITE ISSUES):
      Ace Attacker
      Action Fighter
      Alien Syndrome
      Bloxeed
      Bullet
      Dunk Shot
      Excite League
      Fantasy Zone: Time Attack Version
      Flash Point
      Passing Shot
      SDI
      Shinobi
      Sonic Boom
      Sukeban Jansi Ryuko
      Super League
      Tetris
      Time Scanner
      Wonderboy III Monster Lair

WORKING:
      Altered Beast / Jyuohki
      Aurail
      Bay Route
      Cotton
      Dynamite Dux
      E-Swat
      Golden Axe
      Heavyweight Champ
      M.V.P.
      Riot City
      Ryu Kyu
      Toryumon
      Tough Turf
      Wrestle War
      Multis: CPS-1, CPS-2, CPS-3, F3, S16, ST-V, MVS, AES, M72, Crystal System, G-Net, Naomi, TTX2
      Screens: 2043MD, 20M2MDA, 20L2MD, AR25M31, XR29M31, BL2411PT, BL2700HT
      Devices: Sentinel Gold / Ultracade uVC / JAMMAizer! / Framemeister XRGB-mini
      PCBs: VAPS Profile

The post was edited 4 times, last by djsheep ().

• New

@djsheep

ROM 12 (sprites):

Ace Attacker
      Alien Syndrome
      Bullet
      Dunk Shot
      Excite League
      Shinobi
      Sonic Boom
      Sukeban Jansi Ryuko

ROM 13 (sprites):

Super League
      Wonderboy III Monster Lair
      Passing Shot
      S.D.I.
      Time Scanner
      Flash Point
      Tetris
      Bloxeed
      Action Fighter

Fantazy Zone
      Looking for:
      - Sega Nomad CPU board

The post was edited 2 times, last by Apocalypse ().

• New

Just tried erasing and reburning those two EPROMS, they verified OK, but still the same issues... I guess the next step would be to find some new chips to burn to.

While I'm here, what ROM has the sprites for Fantasy Zone?
      Multis: CPS-1, CPS-2, CPS-3, F3, S16, ST-V, MVS, AES, M72, Crystal System, G-Net, Naomi, TTX2
      Screens: 2043MD, 20M2MDA, 20L2MD, AR25M31, XR29M31, BL2411PT, BL2700HT
      Devices: Sentinel Gold / Ultracade uVC / JAMMAizer! / Framemeister XRGB-mini
      PCBs: VAPS Profile