What's new

nnap

Professional
Reaction score
Putting this here for others that might run into the same issue.

I have replaced the noisy fan in my Atomiswave with a silent fan. Hooked the 3 wires and there was no sound from the game, just a buzzing sound that sort of sounded like the rpm of the fan.

After a bit of research I found out that the yellow cable is not the tach signal for the fan. Instead it has to be shorted to ground on the pcb side.

So what I ended up doing, is short the trace that feeds the yellow wire to ground right at the connector. Then you just hook up black(ground) and red(12V) to the fan and everything works fine. If your fan has a 3rd wire, just leave that disconnected and isolate it to prevent shorts.

Below you can see the solder bridge that is required from pin 2 to 3.

F384A553-9EF6-442B-8853-EAD38555B7CB.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I wanted low speed fan mod on my atomiswave and Naomi.

Thx for the tip :)

I'll recieve a AW slot with problem of sound due to a wrong replacement fan and it will be great if I can resucite the slot sound :)
Do you have a picture of the emplacement of the alt solder point?

Interesting. One of my M2 games does this as well. Total Vice has audible buzzing when the fan spins up and down.

Could be a similar issue. I’ll have to check!

Have edited the first post to add an image of the solder bridge.

so the yellow wire is a stall-alarm to shut the game down if the fan stops.
i hate that, they should have used a chip to translate pulses into the run/stall signal like on the naomi's

now you just have to constantly worry about your fan stalling and the custom's burning up. :D

Thanks for this.
My Atomiswave suddenly stopped outputting sound.
I have to see if this could be the issue as well.

Thanks from me as well. Just got a spare atomiswave that had no sound, sure enough the fan had been replaced. Put in a known good fan and audio came back. What a weird design flaw...

Yep. did the job and the Atomiswave is outputting sound again. :D

it would make sense if they are protecting a chip that can get too hot.

it would make sense if they are protecting a chip that can get too hot.
I would agree if it stopped the system altogether, but instead it runs but the audio ground is tied to the fan tachometer. That just sounds like a ground short in the design.

Back