What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
Recently there was a thread about JVS Type 2 (837-13844-02 or 837-13741-01) not working with some games due to the low number digital inputs, it was mentioned that the on-board dip-switches could re-configure the I/O pins but that there wasn't any real documentation on what they did.

Well I discovered that in the NAOMI test menu under JVS test it gives you a list of the features that the I/O board has, so I sat down and tried all 32 possible combinations of dip switches and figured out what they do :)

dip1: adds 4 rotary channels drops player bits down to 8, "bits" referring to the number of digital inputs per player. the number is 8 even if dip 4 is also set for 1 player mode. This is likely necessary for games with track balls, spinners, rollers, or 360 degree wheels

dip2: disables the I/O board. you'll get an error as if it were disconnected, regardless of how any of the other dips are set. (According to MetalliC this is used for a serial port connection that may not exist in all type 2 boards or may have been scrapped)

dip3: doesn't seem to do anything, though it may have an effect that's not apparent from the JVS test screen.

dip4: switches from 2 players at 12 bits per player (when off) to 1 player at 16 bits (when on), it also drops "driver out" from 22 slots to 10 slots, this is the switch you'd probably want to throw for a single player cab with a lot of inputs. (According to MetalliC this also enables printer output)

dip5: adds 1 "screen" channel with x and y values of 12 (I'm guessing this is for touch screen input).

The default setting is for all dip switches to be set to 0....

837-13844.jpg

The 26pin analog connector is exactly the same as as the JVS Type 1 and Type 3 I/O boards, and I'd assume those pins are not effected by the dip switches.

The other two connectors with all dips set to 0 have the following connections
according to this site: http://jammaharness.blogspot.com/2012/09/jvs-io-837-13844-02.html

CN8: Digital Inputs (40pin AMP RA connector)
01 Yellow (+5V)
02 Yellow (+5V)
03 Yellow (+5V)
04 Yellow (+5V)
05 Yellow (+5V)
06 Yellow (+5V)
07 White (GND)
08 White (GND)
09 White (GND)
10 White (GND)
11 White (GND)
12 White (GND)
13 Yellow/Blue (Coin SW1)
14 Yellow/Black (Coin SW2)
15 Dark Purple (Test Sw)
17 Sky Blue (1P Start)
18 Orange/Red (1P Service)
19 Pink (1P Right)
20 Brown (1P Left)
21 Purple (1P Up)
22 Light Green (1P Down)
23 Blue (1P SW1) (1p Trigger)
24 Green (1P SW2) (1p Frameout)
25 Sky Blue/Whi (2P Start)
26 Orange/Blue (2P Service)
27 Pink/White (2P Right)
28 Brown/White (2P Left)
29 Purple/White (2P Up)
30 Light Grn/Wh (2P Down)
31 Blue/White (2P SW1) (2p Trigger)
32 Green/White (2P SW2) (2p Frameout)
33 Orange (1P SW3) (1p Action)
34 White/Red (1P SW4) (1p Weapon Select)
35 White/Blue (1P SW5)
36 White/Yellow (1P SW6)
37 Orange/White (2P SW3) (2p Action)
38 White/Orange (2P SW4) (2p Weapon Select)
39 White/Black (2P SW5)
40 White/Grey (2P SW6)

CN9: Digital Outputs (34pin AMP RA connector)
01 Yellow (+5V)
02 Yellow (+5V)
03 Yellow (+5V)
04 Yellow (+5V)
05 White (GND)
06 White (GND)
07 White (GND)
08 White (GND)
09 Coin Meter 1
10 Coin Meter 2
11 Output 1
12 Output 2
13 Output 3
14 Output 4
15 Output 5
16 Output 6
17 Output 7 (1P Gun GS)
18 Output 8
19 Output 9
20 Output 10
21 Output 11
22 Output 12
23 Output 13
24 Output 14
25 Output 15
26 Output 16
27 Output 17 (2P Gun GS)
28 Output 18
29 Output 19
30 Output 20
31 Output 21
32 Output 22
33 Red (+12V)
34 Red (+12V)

--------------
PURE SPECULATION but if I had to guess based on the information above and the PCB layout:
when rotary input is set (dip1) then CN8 pins 33-40 are used for the 4 rotary channels

when 1 player mode is set (dip4) then pins 37-40 are used for the additional 4 inputs for player 1 and output pins 11-22 are disabled

it's unclear to me which pins are related to the "Screen" input

-----------
for power input the connections are the same as JVS Type 1
CN1 5pin JST (+12V in)
01 +12V
02 +12V
03 NC
04 GND
05 GND

CN2 4pin JST (+5V in)
01 +5V
02 +5V
03 GND
04 GND

There is also a jumper pin "JP1" which I believe has the same functionality as the +EV jumper that is required on the 60 pin connector of the type 1.

There are two other connectors that I am unsure of their functionality.

CN3 is a Serial port, DB-9 style connector, on my Type 2 I/O isn't not populated, but I've seen pictures of other I/O boards where it is. My guess is that this is used for the Touch Screen input enabled with dip 5.

CN4 is a 6 pin NH style connector on the lower left of the board, I have no guesses as to what this is used for.

Last edited:
dip2: disables the I/O board. you'll get an error as if it were disconnected, regardless of how any of the other dips are set.dip3: doesn't seem to do anything, though it may have an effect that's not apparent from the JVS test screen.
this 2 switches enable code related to 2x RS422 ports of MCU used in this IO, probably some sort of cabinet linking was planned.

dip4: switches from 2 players at 12 bits per player (when off) to 1 player at 16 bits (when on), it also drops "driver out" from 22 slots to 10 slots, this is the switch you'd probably want to throw for a single player cab with a lot of inputs.
it enables printer support, in result there is much less bits left for players inputs and outputs.

probably unpopulated CN3 (RS232). this IO supports touchscreens with ELO AccuTouch protocol, which was somewhat industry standard at that time.

probably unpopulated CN3 (RS232). this IO supports touchscreens with ELO AccuTouch protocol, which was somewhat industry standard at that time.
thanks for the insight.

there seems to be at least 2 versions of this board, one with an RS232 port (seen in the picture above) and another without one (like mine).

I started looking through the service manual for Primevil Hunt because this game uses a touch screen... interestingly it uses a Type 3 I/O. In the photos of the touch screen it looks like an "off-the-shelf" unit complete with it's own plastic casing and internal power supply. The wiring diagram shows 2 cables connecting to the Linbergh unit on COM1 and COM2, but this doesn't make much sense. I would assume one of the cables is VGA and the other is for the AccuTouch protocol.

dip4: switches from 2 players at 12 bits per player (when off) to 1 player at 16 bits (when on), it also drops "driver out" from 22 slots to 10 slots, this is the switch you'd probably want to throw for a single player cab with a lot of inputs.
it enables printer support, in result there is much less bits left for players inputs and outputs.
do you know which pins are used for the printer? I'm assuming it would be a standard parallel port connection. if this is the case that mode would free up 12 output pins and 8 input pins.

there seems to be at least 2 versions of this board, one with an RS232 port (seen in the picture above) and another without one (like mine).
indeed. but in the wild we've seen only ones like your's (btw there 3 ROM version known, all is dumped now).
other variant must be used with "Touch de Uno" games, which uses both touch screen and printer connected to such type IO, but we never seen them in real.

do you know which pins are used for the printer? I'm assuming it would be a standard parallel port connection. if this is the case that mode would free up 12 output pins and 8 input pins.
hard to say, tbh I do not really want to dig it's firmware that deep to findout how exactly MCU GPIO pins in assingned.
but I can say - this IO's MCU have no hardcoded input or output GPIO pins, each of them can be configured as input or output.

hard to say, tbh I do not really want to dig it's firmware that deep to findout how exactly MCU GPIO pins in assingned.
but I can say - this IO's MCU have no hardcoded input or output GPIO pins, each of them can be configured as input or output.
I was just curious, it's not important. I can't think of any games worth playing that would need a printer. :)

There is also a jumper pin "JP1" which I believe has the same functionality as the +EV jumper that is required on the 60 pin connector of the type 1.
Could you detail what you mean by JP1 ? I cannot find any info on +EV and the Type 1.

+EV need to have 5v to enable the digital input

Reactions: rtw
Could you detail what you mean by JP1 ?
There is a jumper on the Type 2 IO near the Serial connector labeled JP1
I cannot find any info on +EV and the Type 1.
1651424606779.png

You can see the pinout for the type 1 above. Pin 1 and 2 are "+EXV" which as @XeD explained needs to be jumped to +5V in order to enable inputs on the IO board.

the JP1 jumper on the type 2 has a position labeled "+EV" which I was presuming has a similar function to the +EXV pinon the Type 1

Back