What's new

ezbman

Beginner
Reaction score
I have an MS9 that shortly after powering up the monitor dims. I turn up the brightness and then it is fine. Then eventually I have to turn the brightness back down because the screen becomes too bright. Its almost as if the monitor needs to warm up. Any ideas on what might be the cause of this issue?

I had a similar issue in my Wells Gardner, and I think it was due to a crack in the flyback. You can eliminate any issue with the remote board as well (you never know) but I would take a good look at the flyback since it sounds similar to my case. Good luck!

May also be the caps. If they're old it may take a bit for them to charge up.

Give it a look at the flyback, if it's not cracked, recap and then see if that fixed your issue. Worth the $15 to try anyway.

Thank you both for the suggestions. I will pull out the chassis and give the flyback a good look over. I haven't had this machine too long so I don't know its history, but if I had to guess the caps are probably old as well.

For the MS9 it's most likely the cap on the neck board.

It is not uncommon for the overall bias / brightness of a tube to start out a little high until it warms up, especially for tubes that have had a lot of use.

Reactions: nem
Just wanted to report back that I finally got around to working on this monitor. The flyback looked good so I just did the cap kit and it fixed the issue. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Back