What's new

Mrhide

Enlightened
Reaction score
Any idea why would I get these on the memory test of the multi?

thanks

cp2-1.jpg

cp2-2.jpg

Bueller?....Bueller? ...

ps: the games are working fine btw ... but it has to be rebooted once I run that test.

The eep rom is an 8 pin surface mount chip on the main board. I think it's a 93c type, you should spot it quickly.
They have limited read & write so are starting to go at this point in time

The eep rom is an 8 pin surface mount chip on the main board. I think it's a 93c type, you should spot it quickly.
They have limited read & write so are starting to go at this point in time
FINALLY!! I THANK YOU SIR! I have been living with this thing and blaming the memory card since I got the multi: a few games were not working and gave me all sorts of issues:

IMG_8164.jpg

IMG_8175.jpg

IMG_8174.jpg

but you identifying the issue on the mainboard *finally* got my to try another board and lo and behold ! it is working and the games I couldn't play are working !

IMG_9364.jpg

now if you'll excuse me, I'll go and play some Alien VS Predator!

Hoping this helps somebody ! ( I will open the mainboard, find the chip and replace it (if possible ) to see if this fixes the problematic board!)

Thanks again for making my day :)

so ... This little chip right?
IMG_9366.jpg

...there are 2 of them, which one should be the offending one? or both?
IMG_9368.jpg

thanks!

Yep that's the fellas... Can't remember what holds what so may as well do the pair while you're ordering them and working on the board.

received the chips (10)
IMG_9486.jpg

IMG_9488.PNG

did an "ok" first job of surface mount soldering! (no I am not ready to post a picture! sorry! 8| ) triple checked and there's no solder bridge, 3 pings to the right place chip)
changed the one closest to the jamma connector ... and now all games load with the eeprom error ... so I know it *is* related and probably the right chip to change!

now I am wondering if the chip I got is ok.

the original is :
ATMEL A3
AT93C46
10SC

what I got is
on the bag:
ATMEL AT93C46-10SC-2.7

on the chip:
ATMEL 102
93C46
SC27

now as far as I can tell, the first one might be a 5.0 while the 2.7 has a lower vcc start but does not go higher then 5.5v so it should not be a problem ?
5.0 (VCC = 4.5V to 5.5V)
2.7 (VCC = 2.7V to 5.5V)

My question is really should I even get chips that are not 2.7 ?

Yes from the datasheets it looks like a modern design / version with better voltage tolerance.
I'd check that they are not getting warm during running but other than that should be good to go.

For the records (sorry I left this thread unfinished)

I did try to replace the chip: I failed and gave up. I ended up using my other A board and he appears to work fine. All of my problems are gone.

I’m having the same issue.

What went wrong? Poor soldering job, or was the S board being fussy with the replacement EPROMs?

Does this chip come from Aliexpress? if so, I'd suggest you to source your ICs from trusted shops like Digikey, Mouser, RS or Farnell instead.

OK So I've tried with 2 Phoenixed boards and I still get the same eeprom error.

The thing is, my eeprom is made by OKI and the datasheet is attached.

I've ordered some atmel ones from above.

Will it be a drop in replacement?

Attachments

• IMG_4420.jpg
    IMG_4420.jpg
    817.2 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_4421.jpg
    IMG_4421.jpg
    699.1 KB · Views: 327
  • OKISD005-747.pdf
    155.5 KB · Views: 363
Back