What's new

Shingo

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello,
I received and installed a new multi kit last weekend on a SSFII gray rev 3 board and am not having much luck.
Originally the board had died on me and almost sent the eproms out to Razoola, but sat on them for 16 years. I recently removed the battery and converted it to an AVP using 27c322s for the graphic and sound data, and had no issues. Everything was jumpered already matching the multi kit requirements.
20190330_095631.jpg
20190330_085908.jpg
It was a little tricky seating the multi kit as the sockets were very tight, but everything lined up fine and did seat.
The board navigates through the titles from the last Smokemonster pack,
20190324_144633.jpg
but most games do nothing, and only a couple show signs of life.
1944 shows mostly a black screen with traces of graphics,
20190330_085444.jpg
but the sound and music seem to play clearly.
AVP which works natively, does not. I also tried an unencrypted version.
Xmen vs SF shows the most life but the graphics are all messed up. The text is unreadable, and each graphic plane is looks to be mostly single color.
20190330_102814.jpg
I have removed the kit and reseated multiple times, have used an old 50 pin scsi cable to bridge the boards, seated the b board caseless on the a, differerent SD cards, and tried both f and g pals.
Nothing seems to change anything. All pins are intact, and I checked continuity on the rom pins from the top of the multi kit to the bottom of the b.
I reinstalled AVP to verify I have not damaged anything, and other than firmly seating the a & b, it resumed operation.
I am wondering if its worth replacing the program and graphic sockets.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190330_085858.jpg
    20190330_085858.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 338
Are those graphics kind of responsive or is something going on in the background?

If you use a PAL F, you need to lift pin 7 of the PAL but if you use a PALG then it's pin 9. Which one did you write on that GAL?

Try running decrypted romset first, like MVC Unlocked and let us know how it goes. @Mitsurugi-w

Both those games are running and responsive. I have a video of Xmen vs SF showing it in motion, but am not sure how to post it.
I did both PALs lifting the corresponding leg. the image is the F, I started with it as a G with pin 9 up.
I did try the unencrypted AVP I was running on the board prior to this with no luck, I'll take a look atMVC or Xmen vs SF unencrypted.

In that case, PROM is good, the interconnect board is also good and the problem is with some part in graphics of the kit. Have you checked that the jumpers on the B Board are good? Did you press the board properly but gently and look at it from the sides to make sure all pins go inside a socket?

Posting some pictures will certainly help (use some external hosting like tinypic please).

P.S. those cables for the key programming are a bit oversized IMHO. Are you confident that no solder blob has fallen somewhere in the PCB? Please double check.

Trying tinypic, and almost everything I send is failing...
The jumpers were set properly for the AVP setup I used, and I did recheck after I had problems.
The pins all aligned and are in the sockets. I will try to make a smaller gauge wiring for the key writing.
I used what I could easily disconnect, I know it was a bit big, and It soldered pretty clean crowded on the kit attachment point.

swu5pi.jpg

106lef4.jpg

2vwh075.jpg

11sftpc.jpg

dre61e.jpg

20190330_085826.jpg

20190330_091919.jpg

Here are the jumper settings I had set prior to the multikit:
jumper10.jpg

Check connection between A and B (bent pins) and failing that, I had one here with a similar issue.

I fixed that one by slightly pulling the IDC connectors on the multi kit away from the B board, it's still making a good connection and it's not going anywhere but I think pushed all the way in was causing enough flex on the board it was pushing the mask ROM pins out of whack.

The other solution is to replace all the sockets since they're likely worn and causing your problems, but this may work.

Jumper settings dont actually matter. We need to remove that from the instructions.

I see a red wire soldered to the gal chip but a grey wire connected to the j17 pin on the multi. Did you splice those together? You have a revision 3 pcb so check the bottom of your b-board. If there is a jumper wire underneath from a pal pin to the connector you need to remove it.

OK, I tried adjusting height on the main kit board from the B via the 2 3 row connectors and if anything it decreased the sound quality. I have mostly been trying the B with out the plastic shell, but the A has been cased/unopened.

@[u]@Mitsurugi-w[/u] The wire is spliced, there is no jumper under the b board.

After all this, I did replace sockets 11-20:
20190331_154345.jpg

after replacement
20190331_163223.jpg

To make sure I did not break anything, I put AVP back in afterwards to test:
20190331_164528.jpg

When I reinstalled the multi kit, there was no change, it is behaving exactly the same as before the socket replacement.
That being said, the main board did seat very smoothly with the new sockets.

Did your gal come with your kit?

No, I programmed both the f/G and the B (for AVP). I can recycle the B or I have another unused Gal somewhere.

Is pin 1 on your Gal ok? The picture is blurry but it almost looks like it has been cut.

Sharp eyes, it lost the leg and was repaired. It was originally on a CPS1.
It has been reading and writing fine, and due to bending a leg up to solder I wanted to use it first. I'll prep an alternate then to rule it out.

I could not find any spares, so I had to order more GALs. I was having issues last night, but I did see some variations on the graphical issues.
I'll let you know if I have different results hopefully by the weekend.

I got a rev 7 board before the GALs showed up, and the multi kit worked on the first install and second power up (after reseating the A and B board). Everything I have selected is working.
The multi kit was not playing nicely with my rev 3... Thank you for the help. Have there been other instances of early rev boards with similar issues?

I personally have had a few issues with conversions on older revisions but others have worked fine.

The rev 7 is the easiest purely due to the CN9 connector on board and not needing to modify the PAL or jumpers

Yesh I've had a few that just would not write keys to -3 pcbs.

Back