What's new

tiff_lee

Grand Master
Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to source step down transformers so I can convert my Japanese cabs to 240V internally and the cheapest i've found so far are some on ebay but they are 110V step downs.... I realise Jap cabs are 100V but would I be correct in saying that most Jap cabs imported to the US are ran without a transformer?

I have priced up some 100V transformers but given the quantity I want to purchase the increase in price for those makes the difference in total cost significant.

Australia is 230VAC @ 50Hz same as the UK.

From my experiences with Japanese cabs & Superguns:-

Most will happily take +/- 10% of nominal rated power so will be ok at 90-110VAC. Once you go over that then you can start having problems.

I've run sega and NeoGeo cabs on a US 230-110 stepdown with no issues at all (just needed to turn the psu down a bit as the +5V was a little high. But when I tried running an AWSD & Egret III on one I had all sorts of problems (shimmering video, unstable PCB's) and that all went away when I used a 100VAC stepdown. This was traced to the Wei-Ya PSU and the cheap tri-sync chassis installed in the cabs.

So the short answer is yes it'll work but certain PSU's & chassis wont like it.

And by over-volting them by 20% you are running out of spec so it will shorten the life slightly.

Are you sure it's actually outputting 110V if your input is 240V?

Usually the voltage turn ratio of cheap step down transformers is 2:1, so your output is 110V if the input is 220V.

Nope i'm not sure at all as I don't have one here to measure i'm just going off what the listing states, which I would fully expect to be misleading though.

Airlink transformers are nice but buying toroidals in bulk from there would cost an arm and a leg!

its nominal voltages.

In the UK it can vary from 220-240V @ 50Hz

So a UK/US stepdown will give 110-120V output.

BTW : My airlink 100V usually outputs 105V.

My Airlink is rock solid at 101v with 234v input.
My cheap HQ is rated at 110v but actually outputs 117v at the same input voltage as the Airlink

My Airlink is rock solid at 101v with 234v input.
My cheap HQ is rated at 110v but actually outputs 117v at the same input voltage as the Airlink
Same here, main reason why I made the switch to Airlink, thanks for the tip ;)

Edit, 231v in and 102v out here, strange?

Last edited:
I know the weiya psu only likes 100v, does the weiya chassis in awsd/egret3 only like 100v too?

I know the weiya psu only likes 100v, does the weiya chassis in awsd/egret3 only like 100v too?
Yes - when I ran a AWSD monitor on a UK/US stepdown I got shimmering that went away once I changed to a UK/JPN stepdown..

no and I don't have the cab anymore - there was a discussion thread over on arcadeotaku regarding the issues with E3 and AWSD on cheap UK/US stepdowns.

I know the psu doesnt work, was curious about the weiya monitor.

The only side effect I observed was board destructively wily fluxuations on the 12v line of the Wei Ya.
It blew up the audio amp on one of my MVS-1FZ's (I gave it to @KingSopz).

If you don't use the Wei Ya JVS PSU, this...
qQ3Ebby.jpg

I guess its ok?
Just unplug the PSU from the cab for sure, and don't say no one told you not to use a step down. ;)
re4jNYH.jpg

The only side effect I observed was board destructively wily fluxuations on the 12v line of the Wei Ya.
It blew up the audio amp on one of my MVS-1FZ's (I gave it to @KingSopz).

If you don't use the Wei Ya JVS PSU, this...
qQ3Ebby.png

I guess its ok?
Just unplug the PSU from the cab for sure, and don't say no one told you not to use a step down. ;)
re4jNYH.jpg
If you unplug the guenine PSU ,what kind of PSU did you add instead , one that could run with 230/220V and out 12V 5V ? ( what kind of voltage arrive on those connectors ? 12V and 5V ? )

Back