What's new

supanova00

Beginner
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I bought my kit last year, but only just got around to installing it now (12 months later). I've been busy wanted to wait until I had ample time, so that I didn't rush it and mess it up. So here I am!

Everything looks to be working great, except for one thing... The sound. All the research I have done on this problem.. I can't seen to find anyone who has the exact same problem that I have.

I have a PAL G, Rev 7 Marvel SH Vs SF Blue board. Installed the kit. From what I'm aware with this board, it's just change the jumper settings and install - no addition wiring required.

I'm using a Sandisk micro SD. The games load... they work graphically no problem and play find. The sound is there, but it's really distorted. It's NOT the sound issue of the wrong sounds playing. All the sounds playing are correct... but to explain it, the closest I can say is that it sounds like when you turn a stereo up as high as it can go, and everything sounds crackly and tinny, like its turned up too high and the speaker can't handle it. I'm playing it through an arcade machine with JAMMA connection. I try an original CPS2 board and it works fine. I've tried two different A Boards same problem. I reseated the entire kit... same problem.

Can anyone tell me what this could be? By the process of elimination, the only things I can think of now is that there is a jumper still open that I didn't solder closed properly (no jumpers needed to be opened, I only had to close about 4 or 5), the SD card is not compatible or there is a problem with the kit itself. I almost feel like it's the Q sound crapping itself but I'm not sure where to go from here. Happy to post a vid of the sounds if it can help identify the problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Get out your multimeter and make sure the jumpers are open or closed as they are supposed to be.

Get out your multimeter and make sure the jumpers are open or closed as they are supposed to be.
Just done this now, and everything checks in as it should. I checked them all 3 times to make sure all the correct jumpers are closed/opened and all checks in as it should.

What is the next point to troubleshoot?

I think I may be onto what the problem could be. Wondering if someone can clarify before I actually do anything. I came across an old forum post here where someone had an issue where jumpers were attached via traces. Looking closely at my board it looks like I have traces between jumpers too (unless I'm wrong). I'll post pics. Can someone tell me do these traces affect the jumpers? do they need to be cut?

20190403_180450.jpg

Attachments

• 20190403_180413.jpg
    20190403_180413.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 550
Looks like they are cut and you also confirm this with your multimeter

yes confirmed with multimeter. All open/closed jumpers are beeping/not beeping as they should be correctly.

I'm lost as to what this issue could be..

Got any pics of the kit and how it is installed?

Yes sure. I will take pics now and post. I've installed and reinstalled about 3 times now and same results each time with this sound problem.

First I'm going to try another SD card, just to eliminate that as an option. I've only tried the one Sandisk SD card so far.

Tried another SD card, exactly the same problem. Sound distortion.

Uploading installation pics now.

20190403_203724_1554284467735.jpg
20190403_203646.jpg
20190403_203634.jpg
20190403_203731.jpg

Attachments

• 20190403_203656.jpg
    20190403_203656.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 372
  • 20190403_203640.jpg
    20190403_203640.jpg
    490.9 KB · Views: 393
  • 20190403_203630.jpg
    20190403_203630.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 408
  • 20190403_203556.jpg
    20190403_203556.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 363
On the last picture it looks like grey the connector is not inserted fully.

Check if there are no bent pins etc and reinstall

Ok, so uninstalled the kit, checked all jumpers again - no problems. Checked all pins - all there and all straight. Reinstalled very carefully, ensuring everything is pushed tightly into it's place, tried 2 SD cards. And still the same problem. Graphics is no problem and running the game no problem. But the sound is fuzzy and tinny sounding. What else can I try with this? I'm reluctant to try another B board, as I don't have any other dead boards and I don't want to kill a live one. This board should be perfect because it's a Pal G Rev 7. Do I still need to lift a leg on the PAL on this board? or solder any wire? I haven't done that, as I thought it is not necessary on this board type. Can someone please clarify if this is the case and any other suggestions I could try would be great too. Thanks for your help guys.

Not needed to lift pin or solder wire with Rev 7 and G PAL

so where to from here?

So far I have -

Confirmed all jumper correct with multimeter
Used 2 different microSd both SanDisk
Formatted the microSd and replaced files multiple times
Reinstalled kit approx 5 times
Ensure no bent pins and with magnifier glass confirmed all pins connecting and in tight
Tried 2 different A Boards

Does anyone know the most likely reason for bad sound? Im happy to post pics and videos of whatever is required. I keep thinking jumper issue but all continuity checks out.

I'm running the board via Jamma. Could it be a voltage issue? Or is there anything that needs to be connected separately? I have aN astro city cabniet. Im going to try it in that to see if its the same result.

I’m out of ideas, 5v is set correctly?

Otherwise someone else would need to troubleshoot, where are you located?

Back