What's new
looks like something I working on.

I've done main code and started 'hardware'part
It's a kind of io board running on arduino.
Main goal is to run like an type3 with light etc..
And possibility to remap buttons as you wish(interesting in Lindbergh for example, racing game aren't mapped all the same, if you're running in a race cab it came very disturbing)

Yeah if I knew how to program I would allow my S-JIHP to remap in code. But the jumpers work ok for now.

the inputs/output counts for the Sega I/o Types are as follows:
Type 1:
8 analog inputs
18 standard inputs: start, right, left, up, down, service, coin, coin meter for p1 and p2, and test, tilt
14 button inputs split between p1 and p2
6 outputs

Type 2:
8 analog inputs
18 standard inputs: start, right, left, up, down, service, coin, coin meter for p1 and p2, and test, tilt
12 button inputs* (6 per player in 2p mode, 10 for p1 in 1p mode)
4 rotary encoder inputs* (when enabled removes, 4 buttons from p2, or the 4 extra buttons from p1 in 1p mode)
22 outputs

Type 3:
8 analog inputs
14 button inputs split betweenp1 and p2
20 outputs

So if you wanted to make a custom I/O that would replace all 3 of those you would need
8 analog inputs
17 button inputs (10 for p1 and 7 for p2)
4 rotary encoder inputs
22 outputs

looks like something I working on.

I've done main code and started 'hardware'part
It's a kind of io board running on arduino.
Main goal is to run like an type3 with light etc..
And possibility to remap buttons as you wish(interesting in Lindbergh for example, racing game aren't mapped all the same, if you're running in a race cab it came very disturbing)
It sounds like your project is similar to an idea I had. Assuming you're using this device in a netboot setup with RPi, it would be awesome if, when a game is chosen, the board is configured to work with the game.

A driving cabinet doesn't even need that many inputs. 3 analogue and a few digital, plus service and coin. A couple outputs for button lamps would be nice to have.

An automatically configured i/o would be so much better than messing with harnesses, wiring, jumpers, etc.

Maybe for a Lindbergh setup, still use some kind of easy input to the board to tell it which game you're selecting... maybe still an RPi? Can the Lindbergh output something that tells the board which game was chosen?

A driving cabinet doesn't even need that many inputs. 3 analogue and a few digital, plus service and coin. A couple outputs for button lamps would be nice to have.
Unfortunately that's not entirely true. While you may only need 3 analog and a few digital to play the game, the game code itself might be programmed to not boot unless it has many more inputs/outputs available on the JVS I/O.

for instance Initial D wont boot unless the I/O board supports at least 2 players with at least 12 digital inputs per player... (HELP with Naomi & JVS I/O type2) this despite the fact that the game obviously only supports 1 player per cab and only needs about 6 digital inputs total.

You don't physically need those inputs. The software could send whatever code string with dummy values for the other unused inputs.

I've proven a physical card reader can be replaced with software, so assuming JVS i/o is just a series of commands back and forth, any physical hardware that isn't needed could just be faked. It can tell the system it's a type 3 and send everything a type 3 sends, all while only legitimately reading a few physical inputs.

Last edited:
this is true, however it adds a whole additional layer of complication to it.

you'd be better off simply emulating enough inputs/outputs to cover all potential use cases.
As it is every Net-Bootable NAOMI game except for Dynamic Golf and Marine Fishing supports the Type 1 I/O

Similarly every Lindbergh game on the Multi-kit except for 2 Spicy Support the Type 1 I/O also (type 1 doesn't have enough output pins for it).

I get wanting to change mapping depending on game selection, but that really only seems necessary for the racing titles. and you wouldn't even need a custom I/O board to do that

I'm only interested in racing titles at the moment. :P

A racing game with auto configuration needs either a complete custom i/o that manages configuration and outputs to the arcade system as needed for the given game, or it needs some kind of custom board sitting between the controls and the existing JVS i/o with gates that manage the physical signals such that one switch from the game gets physically swapped to another location on the JVS board.

I'd prefer a custom (DIY if possible) i/o because it not only cuts down on the amount of boards, but would likely be a cheaper solution than buying a legitimate JVS i/o.

I'm only interested in racing titles at the moment.

A racing game with auto configuration needs either a complete custom i/o that manages configuration and outputs to the arcade system as needed for the given game, or it needs some kind of custom board sitting between the controls and the existing JVS i/o with gates that manage the physical signals such that one switch from the game gets physically swapped to another location on the JVS board.

I'd prefer a custom (DIY if possible) i/o because it not only cuts down on the amount of boards, but would likely be a cheaper solution than buying a legitimate JVS i/o.
it really depends how divergent the controls are from game to game

do you have a list of all the games you wan this to work with and the differences in their controls?

my project isn't to do an all in one pcb, it just an io replacement solution.
No video or audio on it, just jvs and littles bonus

The idea came from me from a lot of Io board to repair. When most of the time I can do it, somes(which display io board not found or something like that) are only repairable by changing a chip, which cost £20 (when in stock)

Maybe an DIY project,since it's using arduino, cards can be added to it, depending of which io board you want to use and for others systems like Lindbergh or else.

Back