What's new

Hatsune Mike

Champion
Reaction score
The moment everybody has been waiting for! I have spent some time modifying the 68000 Cave games to run on common hardware.

The conversion for which everyone is champing at the bit - Better than Guwange on J.J. Squawkers hardware, Guwange on DJ Boy hardware, or DoDonPachi on a Gaia Crusaders PCB.

No, it’s Uo Poko on ESP Ra.De!

Files coming soon!

I know it's April Fools and all... but you don't Joke about DoDonPachi.
You just don't.

The moment everybody has been waiting for! I have spent some time modifying the 68000 Cave games to run on common hardware.

The conversion for which everyone is champing at the bit - Better than Guwange on J.J. Squawkers hardware, Guwange on DJ Boy hardware, or DoDonPachi on a Gaia Crusaders PCB.

No, it’s Uo Poko on ESP Ra.De!

Files coming soon!
This is so awesome... I'm in take my money. 8o

....LMAO

Nice! *starts looking for ESP Ra. De. to convert*
-ud

To all, I don't think that's an April's fool joke since there's been POC it was doable before (and maybe even completed for some titles).
Now go grab a Koro Koro Quest!

To all, I don't think that's an April's fool joke since there's been POC it was doable before (and maybe even completed for some titles).
Now go grab a Koro Koro Quest!
Believability is achieved with a few sprinkles of truth!
Ok, it took a LOT of heat but I removed all the big customs from my ESP Ra.De. Now what?
ESP Ra. De. uses SPATTR 013 rev 2 for sprites (the larger QFP), which adds scaling/shrinking but also changes the word order for sprite attributes.

On older hardware (DonPachi, DoDonPachi, Hotdog Storm) with rev 1, sprites are laid out like this:

Code:
Xpos
Ypos
Attr
Code
Size
---
---
---
ESP Ra. De, Guwange, and newer ones use this format:

Code:
Attr
Code
Xpos
Ypos
Xscale
Yscale
Size
---
To fix this word order, simply solder the customs in 180 degrees reversed from their original orientation.

To fix this word order, simply solder the customs in 180 degrees reversed from their original orientation.
qspUhC3_d.jpg

Do I, like, bend all the pins backwards or what???

qspUhC3_d.jpg

Do I, like, bend all the pins backwards or what???
If you do that, you'll run into impedance issues. That bend at the corner will be too brittle for electronics to get around stably, and they'll just fly off into the ether.

You need to knife off the legs, dremel in, and then use some thin wire to do the connections.

In order to remap the EEPROM from 0xA00000 to 0xE00000, knife off any "E" you see on top of the serial EEPROM and use a sharpie to write "A" instead.

You will hit issues with the inputs being at 0xD00000 instead of 0x900000 also. Luckily the math for this is simple. 0xD - 0x9 = 4, so desolder the input latches, transpose them over by 4 centimeters on the PCB, and glue them back down.

VSmX6ub_d.jpg

F*ck yeah buddy!!!! I had no glue so I just used some tape but it all worked out. Sorta tricky wiring the customs that need the 4cm offset perched up on top of the other ICs like that but whatever. Game time!!

This is why I'm glad I joined this community. Thanks for your service @Hatsune Mike. I messed up removing the "E" on my board so I trashed it, but I found another one on ebay for a little bit less than 3k, so I'm waiting for it to arrive and convert it properly this time. I also went ahead and ordered those sticks to really enjoy Uo Poko fully:

Cz0SUs2WgAALW4D.jpg

Can't wait!!

ESP Ra.De. "running" on Uo Poko board?
it looks like Do Don Patchi on ESP Ra.De. board.

EDIT, I just looked at the mame source and wow, I didn't realize the memory maps are nearly identical.
@Hatsune Mike please tell me the sprites are garbled because you haven't swapped the ROMs yet and not because of some custom incompatibility. I'd love to test this conversion!

Last edited:
Reactions: RGB
Back