What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
I got tired of not being able to find a definitive list for which games worked with which bios and which I/O board so I decided to go through the whole list of games that can be booted via Net Dimm.

I used Pi-Force tools on a NAOMI 1 board running the Rev H Multi bios. I tried all games using the USA region bios setting and mostly only switched to the JP bios if the USA bios caused problems. the bios field specifies if the game was 100% English or still had Japanese, or if it failed to boot due to an error. I also Tried both Type-1 and Type-2 Sega JVS boards. I don't own a Type-3 or a Sega JAMMA to JVS board so I couldn't test those. I do own a Capcom I/O but I have no easy way to power it and was too lazy to build a power adapter just for that. I did test Dreamcast controllers on the maple bus on every game so those are listed as well.

Any field that is BLANK means it hasn't been tested yet.
I tried to build the table here in the forum but it ended up being 4x the character limit for a post... so I put it up on google docs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JWvoMhuFz2XXRWB6XPmE4k0Vkt2VYgUQ4K_61LXv6UA/edit?usp=sharing

if you have something to contribute let me know and I'll update the doc,
if you have A LOT to contribute let me know and I'll give you edit access.

some interesting facts I've come across

512MB Net-DIMM board needed to boot the following games:
Gun Survivor 2 - Biohazard: Code Veronica
Melty Blood Actress Again
New Japan Pro Wrestling Toukon Retsuden 4 Arcade Edition
Senko no Ronde New Version

Sega Type-1 I/O supports every game tested except:
Sega Marine Fishing
Outtrigger (technically does support this but also needs a separate trackball I/O)
Virtua Golf (technically does support this but also needs a separate trackball I/O)

Sega Type-2 I/O supports every game tested except:
Lupin the Shooting
Outtrigger (technically does support this but also needs a separate trackball I/O)
Virtua Golf (may support this but also needs a separate trackball I/O)
Initial D 1-3

Rev H Multi-bios set to USA supports every game tested except:
Capcom vs. SNK M. Fight 2K Pro (it DOES work on the non-pro version)
Guilty Gear XX Reload (it DOES work on all other XX versions)
Jingy Storm The Arcade
Lupin the Shooting
Melty Blood Act Cadenza [A] (it DOES work on revs B and B2)
Nomiso Kone Kone Puzzle Takoron
Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper
Tokyo Bus Tour

The following games WONT BOOT unless the Coin Meters are hooked up (or spoofed):

Lupin The Shooting
Musapeys Choco Marker
Nomiso Kone Kone Puzzle Takoron
Shikigami no Shiro II
Tetris Kiwamemichi
Trigger Heart Exelica

The following games DO support Dreamcast Controller Ports:
Alien Front - semi support, seems to incomplete and interferes with analog controls
Akatsuki Blitz kampf Auf Asche
Border Down
Capcom vs SNK 2000
Capcom vs SNK 2000 Pro
Capcom vs SNK 2001
Chaos Field
Giant Gram 2 - VMU only
Giant Gram 3 - VMU only
GunSpike
Heavy Metal Geomatrix
La Keyboard - keyboard only
Lupin The Typing - keyboard only
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Mob Suit Gundam Fed. Vs Zeon
Mob Suit Gundam Fed. Vs Zeon DX
Musapeys Choco Marker
PowerStone 2
Project Justice Rival Schools 2
Quiz Keitai Q Mode
Radirgy
Senko no Ronde
Senko no Ronde SP
Shooting Love 2007: Exzeal
SlashOut
Spawn
Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper
Typing of the Dead - keyboard only
Virtual On Oratorio Tangram MSBS 5.66 - VMU only

Last edited:
Nice lists! I do know that more games work with Dremacast controllers than you have listed but you have to go into the test menu and change a few options. For example MVC2 and other Capcom fighters need to have the DC controllers enabled and VMU type changed from Sega to Capcom to work correctly.

Do those games listed just work with DC controllers by default?

Nice lists! I do know that more games work with Dremacast controllers than you have listed but you have to go into the test menu and change a few options. For example MVC2 and other Capcom fighters need to have the DC controllers enabled and VMU type changed from Sega to Capcom to work correctly.

Do those games listed just work with DC controllers by default?

EDIT: I've wiped out all of the DC controllers listed as "ignored" and will re-test and check the game menu.
I was not aware of that, yes those games listed all work by default.

Last edited:
Thanks for the share, truly appreciate it.
it's something I'd thought about doing for a long time and I was bored enough to finally sit down and do it.

going through the NAOMI2 stuff I captured which games supported card readers and network play. maybe at some point I'll check that out on the NAOMI 1 games as well, though I don't think there are nearly as many.

some additional:
more games which requires 837-13938 rotary JVS IO - "Shootout Pool" series, "Crackin' DJ" series

list of games which original arcade machine setup uses Type-2 IO:
18-Wheeler
Club Kart (DLX only)
Ferrari F355 (have explicit check for IO name "837-13741", but doesn't require it, not sure that is difference)
Inu No Osanpo
*Sega Marine Fishing
*Tokyo Bus
Touch de Uno
Touch de Uno 2
Wave Runner GP
World Cup Champion Football series

* - require such type IO only

Trackball games (outtrigger, virtua golf) will work with JAMMA or JVS sega IO as long as the IO BD has a port for the 2nd node (trackball IO).

Trackball games (outtrigger, virtua golf) will work with JAMMA or JVS sega IO as long as the IO BD has a port for the 2nd node (trackball IO).
Outtrigger isn't Net-Bootable yet, so it's not on the list, and the need for the trackball I/O for Virtua Golf is already mentioned in the chart. Though the Type 2 I/O should technically support it without the need for a separate TrackBall I/O (since it has support for rotary encoders built in) but it doesn't work without one for some reason.

Thank you for this. Super convenient to have.

Outtrigger isn't Net-Bootable yet, so it's not on the list, and the need for the trackball I/O for Virtua Golf is already mentioned in the chart. Though the Type 2 I/O should technically support it without the need for a separate TrackBall I/O (since it has support for rotary encoders built in) but it doesn't work without one for some reason.
Ahh yes, I forgot there is no netboot image working for outtrigger yet. It would be awesome if that got worked out at some point.

I was mainly confirming that the trackball IO works with both the JAMMA edge style and pure JVS style Sega IOs. I have used them in a net city with the JVS IO as well as a blast city with the JAMMA ("rev B") IO.

On a separate note, SPAWN (both original cart and netboot image) will freeze on a multibios at the Capcom splash screen (I see this is noted in the spreadsheet). The issue can be avoided by inserting a coin during the "this game is for use in Japan only" screen, and not allowing the game to go into attract mode without credit(s) inserted. You don't have to start the game early, just make sure credits are added. It skips the capcom logo if there are credits in.

WWF royal rumble is a 4 player game; the original cabinet has 2 chained JVS IOs. I tried using my 4p capcom IO with it, and I get the error for "IO BD does not fulfil the game specs." It sucks, because you can actually go into test mode and all 4 players test controls work fine with the 4P capcom IO, but the game will only let you boot with that IO if system assignments are set to 2 player not 4 player. There's no reason it shouldn't work other than probably a faulty check in the game software that doesn't recognize the IO properly. 2 nodes of JVS IOs will allow you 4 players though.

I've also done some testing with slashout and heavy metal geomatrix with linked cabinets; netbooted versions will work fine if you have a comm board under your netdimm. Not sure if this is relevant to the scope of this document, but HMG supports 2 cabs for 4 players total (2p per cab), slashout supports 1 player per cab up to 4 cabs. Spawn also supports 1 player per cab up to 4 cabs.

Last edited:
On a separate note, SPAWN (both original cart and netboot image) will freeze on a multibios at the Capcom splash screen (I see this is noted in the spreadsheet). The issue can be avoided by inserting a coin during the "this game is for use in Japan only" screen, and not allowing the game to go into attract mode without credit(s) inserted. You don't have to start the game early, just make sure credits are added. It skips the capcom logo if there are credits in.
is it just the multi-bios or is it certain revs or regions that cause that?

is it just the multi-bios or is it certain revs or regions that cause that?
I did a bunch of testing with 2 different carts and the netboot image on a couple different motherboards: Normal Japan H bios does not exibit the issue, but the multi bios does. As far as I can tell it's a bug in the multi bios. If you would be curious I could burn a USA bios and test that vs the multi set to US, but I believe the issue is the same there too.

Dynamite Deka EX will show "Dynamite COP" on VMU LCD screen, don't it can used as memory card in this game.

Dynamite Deka EX will show "Dynamite COP" on VMU LCD screen, don't it can used as memory card in this game.
Interesting. I'll have to test that again.

I do know that I've never been able to enter the system menu in Dynamite Deka EX, it just ignores the test button.

Do you need some tests ? I've not so much time these days but I can perform some tests if you want. I have :
_ upright and deluxe shooting cabinets, upright and sitdown racing cabinets, classic cabinets with a lot of panels (15K, 31K, HD)
_ JVS type 1, 2, 3, capcom, Sega JAMMA v1 I/Os
_ Naomis 1 & 2 (with CF and 256 or 512 netboot DIMM, and some comm/link cards), Chihiros type 1 & 3 (512 and 1G), Triforce type 1, Lindberghs (android multi), RingEdge. And a lot of original games for these systems.
_ homemade Naomi mapple bus
_ Dreamcasts with a lot of games and a GDEMU, lot of accessories

Do you need some tests ? I've not so much time these days but I can perform some tests if you want. I have :
_ upright and deluxe shooting cabinets, upright and sitdown racing cabinets, classic cabinets with a lot of panels (15K, 31K, HD)
_ JVS type 1, 2, 3, capcom, Sega JAMMA v1 I/Os
_ Naomis 1 & 2 (with CF and 256 or 512 netboot DIMM, and some comm/link cards), Chihiros type 1 & 3 (512 and 1G), Triforce type 1, Lindberghs (android multi), RingEdge. And a lot of original games for these systems.
_ homemade Naomi mapple bus
_ Dreamcasts with a lot of games and a GDEMU, lot of accessories
if you want to fill in some of the gaps in the document you're more than welcome to. it's nearly all there except for JVS type 3 (which I don't own) and Capcom I/O (which I haven't got around to testing yet).

and Capcom I/O (which I haven't got around to testing yet).
Any luck testing this yet?
yes, I've gone through a few games with both the Capcom I/O and the Sega JVS to JAMMA I/O. I started with the odd-ball games that would be more likely to be not-compatible you can see what I've tested in the chart.

the Capcom I/O has no output pins so that's the thing that is most likely to inhibit it's compatibility, but so far it's about what I expected.

Back