What's new
@twistedsymphony, the Ultracade is a downscaler.
rtw is correct, a Ultracade UVC takes VGA (640x480@31khz) and changes it into 240p (320x240@15khz) or 288p (512x288@24khz).
I can't verify his OSSC findings because mine hasn't shipped yet, but I'm sure he is also correct here as well. ;)

I'm very interested in the pulse generation, as I believe I can get Super Buster Bros. working.
does this scaller even do Medium resolution?

honestly based on what you described it seems not worth the price.
No medium res support period.
All I can say in its defense, when it dose work (all the super popular stuff dose) it looks fantastic without much messing around.

The games featured in this (now incredibly long) post, with the exception of brightness changes on CPS3/NG profiles...
Have all worked, the images taken with default settings/profiles on both the scaler and new LCD.

xRGB can do visually amazing things, the price of this feature it needs to be adjusted/fine tuned for virtually every different source.
Likely the biggest question regarding adjustment being, is it progressive or interlaced?
The Taito scaler simply don't give a f**k if its interlaced (like Sega STV) or progressive (like Capcom CPS3) if it syncs it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
The red color of the Vewlix really suits this next game...
IMG_20160611_124726.jpg

IMG_20160611_124808.jpg

Notice anything strange about the Namco System-1 PCB?
IMG_20160611_125338.jpg

Yup its all uv erase eprom, not a single maskrom on the board...
IMG_20160611_125338.jpg
Originally it looked like (and was) this...
IMG_20160518_181543.jpg

I take no credit for the conversion work, that's all my friend.
This was really the only affordable way to get my hands on a Splatterhouse.

To quote the Grinch "If I can't find a reindeer, I'll make one instead!"
Poor old Galaga '88, may she rest in peace.

J, looks awesome! :thumbup:

Are you able to swap out the roms and convert it back to Galaga if you want? Just wondering cause both of these games are expensive to buy nowadays.

We should have a thread or section dedicated to conversions. With so many boards getting harder to get because they are dying out, way overpriced, or just not for sale, having an option to do some conversions on original hardware would be nice. Is there any resource out there for conversions?

$300+ USD from Taito for the whole kit.
Do they have any sort of online store? :)
What are you trying to do that you think you need one of these?
I'm thinking of building my own cabinet using a wide screen monitor and I'm analyzing what's the best option to use all of my boards on a single cabinet and get the best visual look (on screen).

Part of it includes asking lots of questions about different pieces of hardware available in order to start making a decision.

Between a model train layout and 3 pinball machines on a 21 x 21 feet room, I have no space for too many cabinets so the best approach (at least for me) is to have a single, but reliable cabinet.

Last edited:
Question for those who own a Viewlix.

Does the LCD panel only accept VGA or does it handle DVI/HDMI as well ?

Any manuals for the LCD panels available ?

The Vewlix L I have has both a VGA and DVI cable attached, and I've used both with the Taito TypeX2. The Vewlix F I have only has the VGA cable attached, but I see a DVI connector on the panel.

I've never seen a separate manual for the display. Maybe the monitor upgrade has a separate manual.

Normally I don't get down with many shooters...
Seems the ones I like most are all mega cash, rare as hell, etc etc you know the story.

So I was beyond pleased to find this shooting gem, and at a smoke'n 180$ shipped! 8o
IMG_20160629_200303.jpg
IMG_20160629_200616.jpg

IMG_20160629_200454.jpg

I was considering converting for this, having scored a Major Title 2 (Irem M92) recently as well.
That however, is going to be used for R-Type Leo... 8)

I was considering converting for this, having scored a Major Title 2 (Irem M92) recently as well.
That however, is going to be used for R-Type Leo...
Hell yeah, looking good there buddy. You gotta snag those In the Hunt boards when you find them, thats a really good price for it too.

My buddy came thru with another awesome conversion!
IMG_20160708_104350.jpg

Originally it was a Irem Major Title 2 (aka Skins Game) on the fantastic M92 hardware.

The library of M92 games maybe small, but IMO it's a system overflowing with win!
I've already suggested Darksoft attempt a multicart, as we already have (almost every) conversion game/ROM ready to go.

I'm embarrassed to admit I spent more on the Major Title 2 (200$) than In The Hunt (180$).
It still blows away the price of an original R-Type Leo, assuming you can even find one.

IMG_20160708_104315.jpg

Hard to get a clean shot with everything moving so fast...
IMG_20160708_104406.jpg

Looking good man!
Finally found the time to read through the entire thread ;)

Really like the way it looks with the SLG!
What do you do with the dimmed picture when using a SLG, turn op the brightness/contrast of the screen or is it good as it is?

Awsome project!

I own a DIA vewlix and was under a new display for it. Do you know if this taito official display is disponible? Where?
Is there some place not official who offer it? May be the constructor?and other thing about the video upscale.
Can be done something like that using the rgb's supergun adding xrgb mini to the setup? (Or even the new OSSC? Or better another upscale with slg3000?
All thinking about the new display.
In my current setup, the normal DIA display is not good with the scans from xrgmini to 720p (can't be all to the same distance between them) and a 1080p is recommended by fudoh for this.
Any help?

I think I or another member here bought the last stocked 1080p screen taito had, they were not cheap, almost the price of an L cab.

Taito is supposedly working on another replacement screen, but no details when it will available for sale, or how much.

There have been those that have replaced the displays on the vewlix with PC monitors.

You will probably need a Jamma kit from Taito as well.

The stock of New LCD Kits from Taito (far as I'm aware) has now been depleted, and I don't know of any other source to get these.

I do believe the reason why the New LCD Kit was discontinued so soon is because a even newer New LCD is in the works...
I never had official confirmation from Taito of this however, Yugo could only review what's in the parts catalog (altho he couldn't show/send it to me because I don't live in Japan) right now.

I asked Rancor to request the catalog for me/us (because he lives in Japan) but the stuff Taito don't want to sell outside the country (two player game bench for example) is the same stuff Rancor didn't want to be bothered to ship (that bench is freaking huge and don't disassemble).

Can't say I blame him, I wasn't exactly making it worth his while to be my personal Japan proxy buyer, and this stuff really is a pain in the ass.
Living in USA however my hands are tied, what's in the catalog now and what additions will be made in the future can only be blindly referenced/purchased thru Yugo.

I was having a discussion with a SHMUPS member and he claimed that the monitor on the Diamond was better that the new ones.. He also mentioned that they were overpriced and Taito is a proxy from the manufacturer which cost then 1/3 of what we paid.. I contacted the manufacturer twice via email and never got a reply.. I have not seen the DIamond monitor to compare them but the new monitor on 1080p is very good, on 720 content like the type x2 staff they are better than the L and FC monitor but the thing is that 720 content is showing it's age..personal opinion.. So if it is 720p content you want, I think you have the best monitor. The new monitor 1080p is very good for PC staff and 1080p content.. Jassin seems very happy with the Jamma kit and up scaling to the new 1080p monitor.. At some distance time I will be forced to do the same but until that time, my CRT are good:)

Just to be clear, the JAMMA kit spits out 640x480...
So you don't need 1080p at all, in fact the SLG3000 wouldn't work in conjunction with the scaler, if it output anything higher.

The xRGB mini on the other hand, that 100% needs and looks better in 1080p via HDMI vs 1366x768 via DVI.

In my personal observation the new screen looked better in just about ever way.
But remember I didn't do a lag test with the old screen, based on Derick's findings it may actually be slightly lower.
So in some areas, the new screen could be a regression honestly.

I'm open to healthy debate on the subject, the quest for true specs demands it! :)
I'm also very happy with my setup, thankfully... You know I'd be dumping more coin if I wasn't.

I do think part of the reason why Vewlix Diamond's have this "legendary screen" associated with them...
The manufacture is called "IPS" which leads people to believe its a IPS technology screen.
This is not at all correct of course, its a LCD tech.

P.S. If someday Taito makes an actual IPS tech screen, drop in replacement kit, for the Vewlix OMFG!... *drool*

It really does not matter which one is better..We were the only 3 people crazy enough to pay that kind of money for the new LCDs.. On my L, I was going to sell the old LCD but I went like if I ever need to sell the L, the sale post would look like this "Vewlix L with the new LCD costing $1840 shipped and the L costing $1900 shipped, looking to get XXXX" people will think that I am nuts.. But, if I put the old LCD back and ask for around $1700 for the L, I will have better success rate:). Not that I purchased these things with plans to sale them but things happens.

Back