What's new

Dreygor

Grand Master
Reaction score
So @PlayYing hooked me up with a Sega Blast City . It needs some TLC and conversion work so I figured I would give it a complete overhaul while I was at it. I am documenting this for two purposes. One so that it might be educational to someone else who may be contemplating doing all of this and secondly to keep me motivated to move it along a little faster :p

First of some before pictures to let you know what I am dealing with..

jjy65oFl.jpg

kC53hT3l.jpg

EZf44uOl.jpg

EZctOfvl.jpg

gRWAsTCl.jpg

gTGb6fGl.jpg

9eSPMRKl.jpg

KrNwnBzl.jpg

I gutted it and removed everything that made it .. fishy

SCwPMQFl.jpg

..and put it in a box for someone to pick-up

M7nDBP5l.jpg

Holy crap removing that monitor by myself was a real pain .. odd angle .. heavy as crap. Did not help there was dried up spilled soda acting as a glue inside.

VPYb2Zul.jpg

Wait .. what? There's money in there?? We will get to that in a bit..

5rYErbGl.jpg

Decided to take a break from the garage and put together my nice new shiny stainless steel control panel with brand new Sanwa goodness!

DrvS2eHl.jpg

IfXcAlwl.jpg

..Some Lemony @Lemony Vengeance goodness !

wn6FRhjl.jpg

..yes I know it's not factory colors .. but wife's favorite color is green and mine is dark blue

uJ3ThPpl.jpg

..Looks ok to me. I guess I will find out when I hook it up eventually!

2EDYcjvl.jpg

Wheewee .. good thing I am handy with Bondo. This thing was rode hard and put away wet.

tdPw9lrl.jpg

YXfn3Zml.jpg

Jnrds6pl.jpg

j0DzsMCl.jpg

mRVm5TQl.jpg

jN4gH0wl.jpg

..Luckily the bottom half is in pretty good shape. It was just dirty as heck.

Last edited:
Woooohooo parts came!

HNatmHDl.jpg

..er .. wait a minute .. keys and locks missin..

4UXoKlhl.png

..Luckily Yaton realized they were missing and did indeed get them shipped out to me. Currently they are on their way from China.

...oh yeah back to that change in the bottom of the cab (I found a bit more trapped under the iso-transformer and the coin-box where the coin counter is, after this picture was taken)

$21.33 .. yes 13 pennies .. WTF

6xAkEn5l.jpg

Last edited:
Not allot to update this weekend. I am mostly doing inventory and seeing what all I need to buy for when I do put this thing back together.

One thing I want to do is take inventory of the screws and bolts. Some of them used in the original construction were very cheap and stripped very easily. I want to replace as much as I can with stainless steel and switch to hex head where I can instead of Philips or security head types.

I did get the new side decals in from https://www.szabosarcades.com/products/black-city ( @Szabosarcades ) the quality is amazing. He also packed them very well for shipping.

CJypsT2l.jpg

I just wish he made the rest of what I needed so I could have bought it all in one shot.

I also received a small but very visible piece. The coin slot surround that goes on top of the control panel.

TMNaOwAl.jpg

I am also on the hunt for all the small decals on the back of the Blast City cab. I posted about there here..

https://www.arcade-projects.com/for...s-default-marquee-and-default-cp-insert.8852/

I will be expanding on that soon as I am working on taking measurements of everything and detailing it.

Forever moving forward ... slowly

Cleaned all the dirt, spilled soda and removed all the adhesive residue from the wire holders that were broken that I removed from the base..

g3YdwoJl.jpg

Then I removed the speakers and speaker covers to see where I was at..

..and VERY glad I ordered those new(ish) speakers from Yaton because the ones in the cab were toast. On a side note further down the road after this project is complete I may look into redoing the foam rubber around the cone to maybe resurrect these.

TiASvKll.jpg

Good stuff Drey keep us posted :D

Was it difficult to break the cab down in half? I heard the screws can be a pain in the ass to take

Was it difficult to break the cab down in half? I heard the screws can be a pain in the ass to take
Thanks!

Yep they were. If you are using power tools .. you need to be gentle or you will for sure strip them out. I had to take a Dremel tool and slot cut some of the heads of a few screws that got stripped out. I totally want to replace these with Hex head type screws. This happened with allot of screws in the cab, especially the ones that are brass allow .. corrosion resistant but too soft to be used in stuff like this.

Thanks!
Yep they were. If you are using power tools .. you need to be gentle or you will for sure strip them out. I had to take a Dremel tool and slot cut some of the heads of a few screws that got stripped out. I totally want to replace these with Hex head type screws. This happened with allot of screws in the cab, especially the ones that are brass allow .. corrosion resistant but too soft to be used in stuff like this.
Did you use a JIS Screwdriver?

Thanks!Yep they were. If you are using power tools .. you need to be gentle or you will for sure strip them out. I had to take a Dremel tool and slot cut some of the heads of a few screws that got stripped out. I totally want to replace these with Hex head type screws. This happened with allot of screws in the cab, especially the ones that are brass allow .. corrosion resistant but too soft to be used in stuff like this.
Did you use a JIS Screwdriver?
This. It's very common to strip these screws when using the improper screwdriver head.

Yes, you have to use a well fitting bit and put on a lot of pressure when turning. No power tools! I was able to take mine apart without stripping a single screw.

@Zerrminator @nnap @BlinG

My JIS screw driver set is the super small bits for fine work and didn't do any good in this case. I used a well fitting bit (I have a set). A lot of pressure is an understatement. Some of the screws had been painted over and some hard soda spilled on them glueing them in place. Some I used power tools on. On the downside some of them were already stripped before I even got the cab :(

Just ordered one of these screwdrivers and a screwdriver extraction bit set

Back