What's new
I think I soldered it correctly. "Front" is facing out. If I did something retarded I can probably desolder it. Even if I can't I have spares as OSHPark makes you buy 3 PCBs minimum...

I am using one of those groovy SF Anniversary controllers.

Attachments

• psx.jpeg
    psx.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 414
I think I soldered it correctly. "Front" is facing out. If I did something retarded I can probably desolder it. Even if I can't I have spares as OSHPark makes you buy 3 PCBs minimum...

I am using one of those groovy SF Anniversary ccontrollers.
Ok, that is the correct orientation. I've only tested this adapter with official PSX and PS2 controllers, and a small handful of third party controllers. It could be a compatibility problem with that particular controller. Do you have an official PlayStation controller to test with?

I might. Will have to dig thru some boxes or ask some buddies if they have one handy otherwise. I'll see what I can find and report back. Thanks man.

I like that adapter PCB, to take a vertical PSX connector and mount it horizontally. Great idea.

I believe this is exactly what i am looking for or very close. I want to be able to plug to separate devices like alt.thrimus sega saturn to db-15 adapter. But i want to have the side not plugged into the saturn control port to be able to have arcade button controls wired to it. This would be used with a neo geo super gun. is there anything out there like that?

Sounds like a simple DB15 breakout board is all you need. You don't need to demux any signals with Neo-Geo.

Thank you frank I really appreciate it. I will select between one of these to put inside the super gun control port so i can run wiring to arcade buttons and controller.

It looks like I might the first option?

https://www.amazon.com/Twinkle-Bay-...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0743BF5P9

https://www.winford.com/products/brk15.php

https://www.amazon.com/Electronics-...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00SUJZ8DW

https://www.amazon.com/Electronics-...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00SUKB2GS

I have assembled one of those and it's working very well, thank you both Arithmus and Frank_fjs.
The only thing I can't do is use the menu midgame using an Unibios, pressing coin + start does nothing.

Last edited:
Ahh yes, coin and start can't be triggered simultaneously, they cancel each other out. Can this behaviour be altered @Arthrimus?

There are other combo keys to access unibios, I use button 5 (select) and coin from memory, or it could be button 5 and start, I can't remember.

Last edited:
I'm actually going to rewrite the coin portion of the code to support remapping just like the SNES adapters. When I do this there will no longer be combos for the coin button, you will simply map coin to whichever trigger or button you want. Once that's done there will be no need for coin to cancel out start.

Should the .hex file provided in SAT2NEO_AR.ZIP (saturn_controller_demux_remap_autofire.ino.standard.hex) work with the DIP version of the adapter?

I've managed to compile the .hex in the Arduino IDE using Minicore and 8MHz internal clock option but it fails when I try to upload it to the device. After tons of different problems with my USBAsp, drivers, dlls etc and trying from different computers, different adapters (DIP and SMT versions) and even a new USBAsp unit I've only managed to burn the .hex with Minipro setting the fuses as indicated but it doesn't work.

I'm not used to Windows software and Arduino is a pain. If you can confirm this should work I'll get new chips to try again, or try again using the Top3000.

Which chip (Atmega8, 16, 328 etc) and which dip version of the PCB?

I ask as I've not created a dip version of the PCB.

I had no luck getting it to work on any chip other than the Atmega328. The code flashes and runs successfully on either version of the chip, surface mount or dip.

Also worth noting latest versions of the code and prehcompiled hex files are on Arthrimus' GitHub page:

https://github.com/Arthrimus/Saturn_Controller_Demux

Thanks. I'm using Atmega328P. Minipro writes the chip without any error, but it doesn't register any button when I try it.

I'm waiting for an alternative programmer, an USBTinyISP. If I can't upload the compiled code with this one I'll try with a SMD to DIP and your .hex, will share results.

Ahh, this might not be an issue at all. Button presses won't be registered upon first flash. You need to explicitly enter button remapping mode and assign buttons on the first run after a fresh flash.

I have tried to set some modes pressing A+START during three seconds but direction / start / etc doesn't work. I've noticed that RST jumper is open and you have removed it from your PCB design, so I'll try that too using USBAsp again and a fresh ATMega328P.

It may be something related to my setup since I've tried to write a chip for other project via ISP without success.

Finally I have programmed the Atmega328P :thumbsup:

The solution was to solder the RST jumper and use avrdude from OpenBSD instead of Arduino IDE in Windows. This is the command to set the fuses to Internal Clock 8MHz and write the hex file:
Code:
avrdude -c usbasp -p m328p -e -U flash:w:saturn_controller_demux_remap.hex -U lfuse:w:0xe2:m
0xe2 is obtained using a fuse calculator from the settings recommended by Frank_fjs:

In Arduino IDE I only get this message twice:
Code:
avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
In OpenBSD I get that message but the Atmega328P is successfully written.

Last edited:
Sweet. Thanks for sharing the info. I don't gel well with the Arduino IDE so handy to know another method of flashing.

I'd still like to establish how to successfully convert the INO to HEX within Arduino though.

That would be great... the Arduino IDE is horrible and absurd sometimes. I'm also interested in that, I'll share info if I manage to make it work using the AVR toolchain. I suppose the process is similar to this one.

Hi
Does anyone of you have issues using the combo 161 in 1 and Unibios v4 ?
I can use the pick n mix menu, but I can't access the Unibios menu (start + select) with the adapter.
Thanks

Back