What's new
That behaviour seems logical. Inputs are active high.

I used a stock standard Neo-Geo CD pad. Controller connected to supergun.

Multimeter set to measure DC voltage. Positive probe to P1B1 jamma edge. Negative probe to ground.

With no button pressed, 3V reading. Press B1 and 0V.

That behaviour seems logical. Inputs are active high.
It often is for most game controllers, I don't have any experience with NG controllers so I can't say how they work. However, arcade buttons and sticks do not, since they're just dumb switches that connect to ground they essentially work as an open collector so it makes sense that you'd want to simulate that behavior in a super-gun setup.

Same behaviour with an AES controller, which is wired exactly how an arcade joystick / buttons are. Just a direct connection to microswitches, no other components involved.

Voltage is naturally lower but same behaviour. Positive voltage on no activity, zeroed out with a button press.

I'm confused. Isn't this normal behaviour? Arcade boards hold inputs high, activate when grounded.

Arcade boards hold inputs high,
The ARCADE board does, not the controller. That's why I asked if you were testing with the output pins disconnected. otherwise you don't know if it's the controller or the arcade board that is pulling them high.

I wonder if adding diodes to the outputs as explained here may be an acceptable solution.

If you want a hardware solution you could just run all of the pins through a hex buffer with an open collector output. like a 74LS07.

Had some white PCBs made, liking it.

59929906_10217209781929655_6732210564732289024_n.jpg

Snes2Neo is awesome. I enjoy using the Snes pads as I find them comfy and they share the same button layout as Neo. Grab an 8bitdo bluetooth Snes receiver and many doors are opened.

$25AU for the Snes and MD adapters.

Those PCBs looks really cool. @Frank_fjs if these are your adapters, how do you drive the outputs?

I have made a first test without success. Pressing L button seems to activate all buttons, the other ones don't respond.

Is there any special option needed to burn the .hex into the PIC (I suppose it's Intel hex)? just after burning the PIC16F690 I remembered that my burner by default loses the OSCCAL value X/ not sure if this has to do. I already checked the connections for possible shorts.

The controller is the japanese model (HSS-0101)

Double check soldering of the Saturn connector. It's easy to make a mistake here.

I've flashed with Mini Pro, KT150 and a Wellon without issue, no specific settings applied.

I have successfully burned other PICs without overwriting the OSCCAL value with TL866A just deselecting one option that nukes the chip before writing the new data. Anyway it's convenient to read the chip and take note of the OSCCAL value before writing it.

Thanks @Frank_fjs, I double checked there's any shortcircuit there, it was not easy to solder. I'll check it again.

I have used TOP3000 with one pic and TL866A with the other.

Update: I think the problem is in the female saturn connector, in order to solder it I slightly bent some pins. Next time I'll solder the cables coming from the connector instead.

Last edited:
@twistedsymphony there's any way to remap buttons via code?
you can do anything you want with the code.

the way the buttons are mapped currently though is the same order that they're received from the Saturn controller I did that because it means fewer lines of code, which meant it runs faster.

@twistedsymphony there's any way to remap buttons via code?
you can do anything you want with the code.
the way the buttons are mapped currently though is the same order that they're received from the Saturn controller I did that because it means fewer lines of code, which meant it runs faster.
I understand, i just need to discover how i do it now haha

The truth is that I want to use start too. Haha

Thank you friend.

Last edited:
Almost finished with this. Astonishing how well the Saturn connector fits.

Wanted to ask if you have a part number for the DB15 R/A connector. I like how yours is plastic and doesn't have a screw fastener. Reason being is that the ones I bought have the screw fastener and acts as a key preventing me from making a connection to the Minigun :).

Back