What's new
@Frank_fjs, thanks, well the two controllers I have aren't working then, they're retrobit wired and I used saturn_controller_demux_RMAF_Retro_Bit_Fix.ino_atmega328p_8000000L.hex

That's a shame. They've all been tested and verified as working. Retrobit wired, wireless and stock Saturn controllers.

I've personally only used Retrobit Bluetooth controllers and standard Saturn controllers. I use the stock HEX file.

Demux_remap_autofire.

I believe the retrobit fix is only applicable to the wireless controllers.

I got eXtreme Burner to work once, now it can't see the SAT2NEO, I'm wondering if I buggered the fuses.

Code:
C:\Users\rthorntn>avrdude -c usbasp -p m328p -v -F

avrdude: Version 5.10, compiled on Jan 19 2010 at 10:45:23
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\WinAVR-20100110\bin\avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : lpt1
         Using Programmer              : usbasp
         AVR Part                      : ATMEGA328P
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PC2
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65     5     4    0 no       1024    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : usbasp
         Description     : USBasp, http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

avrdude: auto set sck period (because given equals null)
avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F

avrdude done.  Thank you.
I've blown away the device signature, sounds bad?

Last edited:
Could you try with avrdude using the command line? I only had success using this program.
Code:
avrdude -c usbasp -p m328p -e -U flash:w:saturn_controller_demux_v0.9.ino.with_bootloader_atmega328p_8000000L.hex -U lfuse:w:0xe2:m

Thanks @pacoarcade, I tried your command, the m328p isn't being detected anymore, who knows what I've done.

As I said, I was able to successfully program it once with saturn_controller_demux_RMAF_Retro_Bit_Fix.ino_atmega328p_8000000L.hex

It hasn't been detected since.

Loose wire or inadvertent bridge?

Is the reset jumper still closed and what fuse settings are you using?

Thanks @pacoarcade, I tried your command, the m328p isn't being detected anymore, who knows what I've done.

As I said, I was able to successfully program it once with saturn_controller_demux_RMAF_Retro_Bit_Fix.ino_atmega328p_8000000L.hex

It hasn't been detected since.
It may be some issue with drivers, or maybe you have messed the fuses of the microcontroller. I use this command in OpenBSD and it works a treat.

If possible, I'd try again with a new microcontroller and avrdude. I confirm that fuse settings work fine. Also, double check all connections are OK and reset line is bridged.

Last edited:
@Frank_fjs @Arthrimus @pacoarcade I'm going to take a look at this again today.

Could saturn_controller_demux_RMAF_Retro_Bit_Fix.ino_atmega328p_8000000L.hex be causing it, I built the SMT version, is this hex definitely OK for it, I just have a niggle that maybe the hex was for a PTH 328p or in someway it wasn't right?

I just used the Frank instructions "FUSE BITS/SETTINGS TAB - Tick the Low Fuse Write checkbox. Type in E2."

@Frank_fjs @Arthrimus @pacoarcade I'm going to take a look at this again today.

Could saturn_controller_demux_RMAF_Retro_Bit_Fix.ino_atmega328p_8000000L.hex be causing it, I built the SMT version, is this version definitely OK for it?

I just used the Frank instructions "FUSE BITS/SETTINGS TAB - Tick the Low Fuse Write checkbox. Type in E2."
All versions of the code work on all versions of the PCB. Writing the code to the chip could not cause the behavior that you are seeing. If reset disable was set on the high fuse that would cause the chip not to be written to, otherwise it's probably a problem with your programming setup.

It's not the HEX.

It could be the programmer, the Jaycar ones aren't the best. I've had x2 fail on me without reason. First one was replaced, second one refunded, after that I gave up and bought one ex Amazon.

I think the whole jury-rigging and beers thing ended up with me killing the atmega, for a while my USBAsp would power off when I enabled the 5v jumper, that was because VCC and GND were mixed up, my conclusion of which pin on the DB15 was pin 1 was wrong, I did manage to program it once I realised what I had done but it must have been it's last gasp.

You'd be surprised, the Atmels are pretty resilient.

Thanks @Frank_fjs, Method 4 suggests otherwise.

I'm going to build a fresh one, apologies if I missed it but any tips for soldering the Saturn connector, it's not a PTH part, what I did was leave 3mm of wire on each of the contacts, remove the sheath, tin them and put them through the holes, I haven't seen an image that really shows a connected Saturn connector but surely there is no way to get the contacts into the holes, or are people just building "bridges" of solder between the PCB and the contacts?

Back