What's new

aje_fr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi

For those who are interested, I just upload hex files for pic12f675 allowing you to revive your CPS2 game
One hex for each game. Check the listing on the back of the page to know wich one to use.
Only 6 wires to solder !

Link :
https://github.com/ajefr/CPS2_Modchip

Check Eduardo Cruz blog for solder point on your game :
http://arcadehacker.blogspot.com/2016/09/capcom-cps2-security-programming-guide.html

Example of installation on a blackboard :
cps2_b10.jpg

Have fun !

Last edited:
Ok, someone point me where to get pic12f625's in the US, I'll get hopping on this right away.

EDIT: To prevent further confusion. The correct PIC is PIC12F675.

Last edited:
Thank you!

P.s. I think you mean PIC12F675

Cool. I am making a Digikey order this weekend anyway. So I'll be able to test this next week. Thanks all!

Wonder if some day we'll be able to do the same with CPS3. Be nice for legit arcade ops who might not want a Darksoft message on boot.

Removed battery, shorted capacitor, and...
It's actually not necessary to short out the capacitor. The key is getting written every time you boot. Voltage building up on that cap and corrupting the area of memory that holds the key is not of concern like when running decrypted ROMs.
Wonder if some day we'll be able to do the same with CPS3. Be nice for legit arcade ops who might not want a Darksoft message on boot.
I've asked Ed about this before and his answer was basically, "perhaps some day." Would love to have functional unmodified original carts!
-ud

I've asked Ed about this before and his answer was basically, "perhaps some day." Would love to have functional unmodified original carts!
I've got a friend who's a tech at an arcade chain you've heard of. They have a suicided Third Strike cart, and it's not really the kind of thing you can just Darksoft up, management frowns on that kind of thing. So right now that means no Third Strike on the floor, and that's a shame.

I shorted the cap just to be more certain that the mod was working and keys weren't residing in memory. :)

Can a PIC12F629 be use?
The only difference between 12F675 and 12F629, is that the former has ADC suport. I don't know if it is needed as the source code not available, so the only way to know is trying (they are rewritable PICS), or an aswer from @aje_fr. I would also like to know, as the 12F629 is cheaper, more available, and is the same PIC used to make Modchips for PlayStation, and Sega Genesis, so i have a buch of them around :P

Finally an alternative to the ultra expensive, for what it is, infinikey-cps2. Nice work @aje_fr!

Last edited:
Arduino Nano is 2€ from China and 3€ from your local seller.

Still, this is a more compact and tidy solution, although you'll need a PIC programmer which adds to the cost, whereas the Arduino Nano doesn't need anything else.

Back