What's new

sugar4salt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi.

I finally got a shipment from Japan last week.
Took 2 days of cleaning and I can tell you it was not an easy task cause of so much dust and dirt inside of cab.
Anyway, my lcd is in pretty good shape for now but I want to upgrade it to 1080p in a mean time.
I have looked everywhere for any info or tutorial but all I found was for chewlix not for a original.

I am not planning to go all the way up to 4k. Because I have no tech knowledge, I want to go as simple as possible.
Can any of forum members suggest any lcd models? If so, just right lcd model number would be a great help.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about this as well.
ThezVewlix C monitor has what looks like a VESA 200x100 mount but it's low mounted on the panel (not centered).
I think the easiest way is to buy a 200x200 to 100x100 adapter plate and use the bottom holes to position the bracket to drill upper mounting holes.This allows for a centered 100x100 mount which is fairly common on regular consumer panels.
Then, to obtain correct spacing to the face, use long bolts along with spacer blocks made from mdf or acrylic.

The only concern after this is how to attach the 4-piece monitor surround. I don't like using adhesives, but maybe something like Betalink would work well? Or very shallow self tapping screws...
Like you, I could only come across people with Chewlixes doing monitor swaps, and unfortunately, the chewlixes have a totally different mounting system and front panel surround.

So I did some work on this front.
I bought a flat plate mount that has a 200x200 vesa wall mount. This particular mount seems to have 200x200, 100x100 and 75x75 available on both "sides" of the plate.
This means minimal modification necessary for whatever monitor you end up with.
Unless you choose to drill your cabinet's monitor support piece (which probably nobody wants to do, or else why even bother with the plate), this plate needs new holes to mount to the stock backing of a real vewlix. I took the bottom two holes of the 200x200 pattern on the plate, mounted it temporarily, then marked the 200x100 hole locations on the vewlix back onto the plate. I then drilled new holes in the marked spot, and inserted rivet nuts to make life easier.
CPEGoBI.jpg

rfmtWDo.jpg

Now you are free to mount any monitor of your choice that has a centered VESA bolt pattern (more drilling of the plate if you have a stupid monitor with a non-centered mount).
I don't have a nice 32 inch panel yet so I used an old dell monitor to test but you get the idea.
TRvvFAq.jpg

The real problems that remain are:
1. The black surrounds from the original monitor cannot mount to your new panel due to them originally mounting by screwing INTO the monitor edge.
To experiment, I took the long surrounds and used screws, one on each side, in the existing holes to mount to the speaker boxes. While not ideal, it is minimal modification to the box and seems acceptably secure. This is likely the route I will take when the time comes.
The side (shorter) pieces have no easy way to mount like the long pieces, but I can think of a few options, one being double sided tape to the side plastic panel of the cabinet.
Option 2 is to simply leave them off as it is barely visible with the side plastic on anyway.
Third option is to drill the surrounds and attach them all together with L brackets (worst option of the three, I think).
Xm6WIDl.jpg

2. The final problem, as I mentioned earlier, is that the replacement panel, whatever it is, will likely not be as deep as the original monitor as many consumer panels are really thin now.
In the case of this random test display, the gap was approximately 2cm
jHm13p3.jpg

This gap will depend on your specific monitor choice, but I think the best way to deal with this is to create acrylic (or some other reasonably strong material) spacers that mount between the cabinet and the plate (rather than the monitor side to avoid excessiveflex). You'll just need to experiment with your specific configuration.

vvcf8PY.jpg

Wow~ I admire what you have done so far!
I was just thinking about replacing without doing nothing.

By the way i saw one guy replaced original vewlix L with lg monitor. I asked a question regarding exact model but guess he is not into his blog anymore so i am not sure if he is going to answer my question.

Funny how every single person who has replaced a monitor in a Vewlix in the past ten years has inexplicably gone missing before anyone was able to question them.

Taito really will do anything to ensure people buy those $1600 monitors. Even assassinate those who could spread word of alternatives.

Funny how every single person who has replaced a monitor in a Vewlix in the past ten years has inexplicably gone missing before anyone was able to question them.

Taito really will do anything to ensure people buy those $1600 monitors. Even assassinate those who could spread word of alternatives.
When my F monitor shit the bucket (thanks sanwa), I tried several different screens and none fit. It was a bastard taking those flat tvs apart, and they were either too small or too tall. I feel like a lot of that monitor replacement info is for clone vewlixes. I have never found a post where someone has done it with an official vewlix, just threads that end in a brick wall.

You are not going to be able to do this properly without fully decasing the LCD screens and swapping them. In other words- you gotta fully pull apart both lcds from the plastic cases and swap.

Last edited:
My next big project would be coming up with a solution to replace the stock monitor. I'm going to invest money on this since I greatly benefit from this. I work at a company that custom manufactures monitors for aircraft. I have a rough idea but I'll need a person to create a model out of it to have it manufactured. I have to decide if I want to manufacture a custom frame or work around the existing frame. I'm going to look into my other 24 vewlixs and see what solution would work. I already documented my Vewlix L frame so it'll be interesting to see how F and FC differ. Off the shelf monitors these days doesn't have any stud points so it makes it harder to design something. I'll make a thread sometime today.

Attachments

• c.JPG
    c.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 429
I can’t wait to see result of this ‘big project’!!!
Since you are working on related industry, i am very exited!!!
Hope everything goes well.

I to am looking at swapping the screen in my C as I cannot get my PS4 to display on the standard one via DVI. I'll be watching the updates great work

I to am looking at swapping the screen in my C as I cannot get my PS4 to display on the standard one via DVI. I'll be watching the updates great work
Are you the guy on IG that did the Dinosaur King conversion? If so, great work.

Put an HDMI switcher in line. It doesn't work because of HDCP. Most switchers will strip that off and you'll be good to go.

You can turn off HDCP in system settings but it doesn't always /actually do that/.

Put an HDMI switcher in line. It doesn't work because of HDCP. Most switchers will strip that off and you'll be good to go.
You can turn off HDCP in system settings but it doesn't always /actually do that/.
I've tried that, still the same outcome, no sync

been looking around, on other forums some say a good replacement for a 1080p resolution is the LG 32MP58HQ, has anyone tried that one?

I took mine apart today for a deep clean, I'm so glad I did lol

I work at a company that custom manufactures monitors for aircraft.
really?

what are the chances that you could manufacture a 27in 4:3 display? or even a 50in 4:3 display. If you could make them at a reasonably price Those would sell like gangbusters in the arcade market since there are a ton of cabs with larger failing crts and no good LCD replacement options because everything over 20in is widescreen only.

I am guessing that he manufactures displays using extant LCD panels, rather than fabricating LCDs.

I work at a company that custom manufactures monitors for aircraft.
really?
what are the chances that you could manufacture a 27in 4:3 display? or even a 50in 4:3 display. If you could make them at a reasonably price Those would sell like gangbusters in the arcade market since there are a ton of cabs with larger failing crts and no good LCD replacement options because everything over 20in is widescreen only.
I think someone looked into this one time, they found some Chinese company that would do it but it was going to be crazy expensive and needed a minimum order quantity.

Back