What's new

Hatsune Mike

Champion
Reaction score
Think of all the common problems a Blast City can have. now, imagine them all in one cabinet!

• Permanent monitor tube damage
  • Missing parts
  • Speaker rot
  • Body cracks below control panel
  • Stripped CP and PSU screws
  • Internal body crack near monitor mount
  • Screaming power supply fan
  • Pushed in speaker grills

I am positive this entire cabinet was dropped really hard in the past. The tube looks like the shadow mask has warped or become detached from its normal position.

I've seen similar issues in a PVM that was dropped, and also in a few Sanwa PFX monitors that had been shipped.

There are these cracks under the control panel, cutting in pretty deep on both sides.

This might be worse than the control panel - there is a big crack right above a point at which the metal frame screws in to the fiberglass.

And the classic blast speaker syndrome.

I've made some stub posts to describe dealing with each of these issues below, which I'll update with pictures or info as needed.

Last edited:
For the tube, I am going to see if the seller can exchange it. I do not think he knew it was damaged, or maybe it got damaged on the way to me.

At least the MS-2930 seems to work well.

For the internal crack, I cleaned the back and front of the affected area thoroughly, and used epoxy to fill the crack and lather a good amount on the backside too. Using the speaker mounts and a few shims inserted between the inner and outer fiberglass area, I was able to let it set while in the correct position. I think this crack might turn out okay.

The control panel cracks have me the most worried. If someone was to hit the control panel hard, I think they will get worse.

I don't trust the epoxy to hold the control panel together, either. For this, I am considering mounting a steel plate on the inside, and using bolts on either side of the crack, with a safe distance. Then, I can epoxy the steel plate assembly to it. The combination of epoxy and bolts may be something I can put more faith into.

I replaced the power supply fan, and have put together a cap kit for it. That should not be a great deal of trouble.

Finally, this thing is filthy, so I took it outside, removed the electronics, and got really thorough with simple green and a hose. So much cigarette tar just dripped off of the machine.

A word of warning: If you do something like that, make sure you aren't getting water into fiberglass cracks! I am pretty sure these cabinets have balsa wood cores in the fiberglass, like a boat, and I think water could cause damage to the inside.

which fan did you go for as mine. I replaced with is loud

let me know if speakers work.

Have you tried degausing? Try loosing the yoke moving it back a little and blowing some compressed air in there.

@Hatsune Mike

Sounds like a few of us are working on the same builds :) This is why I completely broke mine down and I am working on getting a ton of replacement parts.

-I am working with Yaton now to get replacement speaker grills. If not I will need to take mine to a sheet metal shop and flatten them then re-bend to the correct shape.
-Speaker rot is common. I had to replace mine. I did read he cone rubber can be repaired but it was not something I wanted to tackle for now.

Here is my progress thus far..

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?threads/drey-s-blast-city-rescue.8850/

What fan did you use for the power supply?

let me know if speakers work.

Have you tried degausing? Try loosing the yoke moving it back a little and blowing some compressed air in there.
It's not a matter of magnetism unfortunately. I've degaussed it a ton, and that certainly works. To be thorough, I even used an external handheld degaussing coil. The weird blotches on the right are consistent, even mid-degauss.

The monitor frame has a tiny bend in it. That and the cabinet cracks really add up to my theory that the whole cabinet got a nasty drop or slam in the past.

I actually managed to source some NOS speakers as well as one used-but-good set from an Initial D, but the replacement drivers are here, so I will still try them. It never hurts to have a spare.

I'll look up the fan, but it was an 80x15mm Evercool fan. I had to recrimp the connector as it did not match the 2-pin JST deal on the power supply, but it is nice and quiet. I recapped one PSU and sound amp and both are doing great. Looking forward to doing the other two.

I picked up some new HOTs for the chassis as well, and I'm going to try to fix the one that's having the strange occasional jitters.

@Hatsune Mike

Sounds like a few of us are working on the same builds :) This is why I completely broke mine down and I am working on getting a ton of replacement parts.

-I am working with Yaton now to get replacement speaker grills. If not I will need to take mine to a sheet metal shop and flatten them then re-bend to the correct shape.
-Speaker rot is common. I had to replace mine. I did read he cone rubber can be repaired but it was not something I wanted to tackle for now.

Here is my progress thus far..

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?threads/drey-s-blast-city-rescue.8850/

What fan did you use for the power supply?
In my situation, the grilles themselves are okay, but are slightly pushed in on all cabs. One of them was loose enough that when applying epoxy to the cracked internal support, the grille did come out. I am going to see about using some epoxy to get it back in place, but I'm having enough trouble getting the inner part to line up right that I am wondering if they are all slightly "pushed in" on the inside from the factory.

As for the speaker repair, it's possible in theory, and I've done it to other speakers. However, someone must manufacture the foam surround, and for that I do not see an off-the-shelf solution.

I'm curious if the Amazon ones work as nobody on the net as iv googled says anything works. The someone can wip up a 3d printed case for 2 of them.
I think the ones Yanton aren't completely unused.

@Dreygor ya I think a lot of us are. Iv been trying to fix mine since last year.

Sent my chassis twice to sharp.

Unless someone on vaca in Hawaii can help me take the yoke off this 2930 to see what's causing the horrible convergence even with strips.

@Hatsune Mike i think I used the other one people mentioned pabst or something it works but its loud. I also know you can order that Evercool in the right connector. I just haven't gotten around to installing mine.

Okay, speakers: the drivers themselves are the right size.

KLmf0yQ.jpg

The issue is that I had to remove the metal flanges.

f7KxS5j.jpg

With those out of the way they fill the space right.

t4HTHpm.jpg

These are 16 ohm drivers, while the originals are 4 ohm. I rewired the speaker box to run all the drivers in parallel to approach the original load.

In terms of sound, it is not as good as the original Blast, but they are on par with or a bit better than a New Astro City. Compared to the ruined speakers, I'll consider it a moderate success.

The real win would be getting in touch with the company that produced these, and see about buying speaker surrounds to repair the original drivers.

Reactions: nem
The body cracks... I was not satisfied with the epoxy for the control panel. Some of it cracked a bit, and I do not trust it to last. I decided to make the cabinet slightly uglier in the name of stability.

The original nasty crack:
pYzIc4g.jpg

Some old metal (bonus points if you recognize it) being used as a template, and later as the support structure inside. Good to re-use scrap metal!

pOkwuet.jpg

Holes were very carefully and slowly drilled, and then the metal plate was installed inside the body.
0UIWQp1.jpg

Probably not the best or "right" way to do this, but this is the scrappy cabinet, and at least it's really solid now.

Shoot. I just transported some CRT's in the back of my hatchback that flopped over during transport. Hope they don't turn out like that.

BTW, you gave me a tube in December. I forget what monitor that was from. Do you happen to recall what monitor that tube came from?

Shoot. I just transported some CRT's in the back of my hatchback that flopped over during transport. Hope they don't turn out like that.

BTW, you gave me a tube in December. I forget what monitor that was from. Do you happen to recall what monitor that tube came from?
I think it was an E31S? The Sanwa 31k one?

I think it was an E31S? The Sanwa 31k one?
that's the same one rewrite game me for my windy2 how's the picture on it?

Back