What's new

moltomolto

Student
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently got my first PGM board with a KOV Superheroes cart, but I'm experiencing some strange things that have me a bit concerned, was hoping some of the experts on here could shed some light on this, as I'm still relatively new to all of this.

First of all, the readout on my HAS has me paranoid. When I use my CPS2 board it stays at a consistent 5V, but with the PGM it's constantly fluctuating from 5, to 5.1, up to 5.2, and back down again. Is this normal? Should I be adjusted the PSU to compensate and put it back down to 5V?

The other issue is the whole top of the screen is warped to the right...almost as if the geometry on my display is completely off. But this only happens with the PGM...my geometry looks great with any other device I have plugged into my PVM.

Does this sound like there could be something wrong with the cart or board? I'd really appreciate any insight into this!

Thanks

5-F237-A93-5-A02-4-F6-C-AB9-E-2461-C943-B756.jpg

414-C31-B4-6-BE4-4-C9-C-87-CA-3-DD2-BFE22-C02.jpg

C5547936-B373-4512-A924-3-B369-EC7-C53-F.jpg
I tried without the cart and the weird geometry is still there so it must be something wrong with the motherboard?

Looks more like a sync issue to me, rather than a fault.

Try experimenting with the different sync outputs of the HAS.

@RGB - any insights?

None of the 3 of my PGM mobos fluctuate on my HAS 3.1.

How are you running it into the PVM? Also, as Frank said, have you tried adjusting the HAS sync settings?

This does look like a sync issue, though I've never seen something like that with the PGM. Please try "buffered" and "regenerated" CSync setting on the HAS, and also see if 75R/TTL level makes any difference. Also, is it connected from the HAS directly to the PVM? Do you use a cable with some kind of sync stripper, a Scart switcher or Extron? If you do, please remove all these additional components from your video chain and try again.

The voltage shouldn't fluctuate either, but if you get perfect 5.0 on the CPS2, then on the PGM it would be around 5.1-5.15V

I have the same problem with my pgm board on my Jvc D-tv monitor using a sigma raijin supergun, I will have an extron unit and will try and see if it resolves the issue this week ,
8400347-F-883-F-40-DC-B870-36874317-B5-B6.jpg
E8-E76802-3889-4-E63-8705-725-D35304-DDF.jpg

None of the 3 of my PGM mobos fluctuate on my HAS 3.1.

How are you running it into the PVM? Also, as Frank said, have you tried adjusting the HAS sync settings?
Usually I go out via SCART to the GSCARTSW into an Altima RGBS switcher, but I tried going direct through the PVM too - same result. Same thing with changing the sync settings too.
This does look like a sync issue, though I've never seen something like that with the PGM. Please try "buffered" and "regenerated" CSync setting on the HAS, and also see if 75R/TTL level makes any difference. Also, is it connected from the HAS directly to the PVM? Do you use a cable with some kind of sync stripper, a Scart switcher or Extron? If you do, please remove all these additional components from your video chain and try again.

The voltage shouldn't fluctuate either, but if you get perfect 5.0 on the CPS2, then on the PGM it would be around 5.1-5.15V
The voltage is definitely fluctuating and strangely now it seems to be outputting between 5.03-5.04. Why could it suddenly have gone up?
I have the same problem with my pgm board on my Jvc D-tv monitor using a sigma raijin supergun, I will have an extron unit and will try and see if it resolves the issue this week ,
8400347-F-883-F-40-DC-B870-36874317-B5-B6.jpg
E8-E76802-3889-4-E63-8705-725-D35304-DDF.jpg
Interesting...would like to see how that turns out with the Extron. Or is it possible we both have bad motherboards?

Last edited:
I don’t think so , I have 3 pgm motherboards 1 is faulty but the other 2 apart from the picture bend are ok, Also here is my other issue my Atomiswave board does the same picture distortion at the top , but if I change the output dipswitch on the atomiswave motherboard to 31k the bend is gone
8-F152-D9-F-AD2-D-4-C43-B167-D6-A0551-E4052.jpg
M
4341-F311-88-C8-469-D-A868-EB18-C451-E134.jpg

I'm wondering if it's one of those BVMs that's finicky about sync? SEGA Master System consoles generally display the same issue on those monitors.

If your monitor has VCR mode, enable it. Some boards do this to me on my PVM 20L5 (CPS3) I fix it with an extron RXi box by enabling the "SERR" dipswitch. There's some stuff about it in the extron manual.

EDIT: this is your issue, just noticed u have a 20L5 like me.

Last edited:
@RGB @Nimmers Yeah it's a PVM 20L5. Never had any sync issues with anything else so this never crossed my mind...I thought PVM's could just handle anything you throw at them! I have an Extron RGB 109 RXI lying around, I can try and see if this will fix it.

@Paul79 Do you know if there are any dipswitches on the PGM mobo that would change the sync output?

Welp, I just realized if I'm going through the Extron then I need a VGA ouptut, but I'm currently going out of my HAS with a mini din to SCART cable. Is it possible to use something like a mini din to VGA cable? Or do I need the HAS mini din to VGA adapter?

Last edited:
I have seen this on jamma boards in a real CRT and chassis. Some times its the HOLD adjustment. Can't remember if it was on my Horizontal or vertical test cab. So its eigher V-HOLD or H-HOLD. But i don't think most TVs have that adjustment??

D.

@RGB @Nimmers Yeah it's a PVM 20L5. Never had any sync issues with anything else so this never crossed my mind...I thought PVM's could just handle anything you throw at them! I have an Extron RGB 109 RXI lying around, I can try and see if this will fix it.
This definitely seems to be what it is and fixes it:
2 — Serr (serration pulse) — Many LCD and DLP projectors and plasma displays must have serration pulses removed from the sync signal in order to display properly. Flagging or bending at the top of the video image is a sign that the serration pulses should be removed.

On — The interface outputs serration pulses in the vertical sync interval.
Off — The interface does not output serration pulses.
Not sure what the deal is, it only happens on some stuff on my PVM20L5, for sure Street Fighter 1 and CPS3 do it for me - I just use the Extron to fix it. It dosen't happen on my PVM20M4 so it might be something to do with the monitors multiformat capabilities.

Maybe someone knowledgeable here knows more about these pulses in the sync signal.

This definitely seems to be what it is and fixes it:
2 — Serr (serration pulse) — Many LCD and DLP projectors and plasma displays must have serration pulses removed from the sync signal in order to display properly. Flagging or bending at the top of the video image is a sign that the serration pulses should be removed.

On — The interface outputs serration pulses in the vertical sync interval.
Off — The interface does not output serration pulses.
Not sure what the deal is, it only happens on some stuff on my PVM20L5, for sure Street Fighter 1 and CPS3 do it for me - I just use the Extron to fix it. It dosen't happen on my PVM20M4 so it might be something to do with the monitors multiformat capabilities.
Maybe someone knowledgeable here knows more about these pulses in the sync signal.
Awesome! I'm happy there's a fix and it's likely not a bad MOBO.

How do you ouput into the RXI, are you using an HAS as well? Trying to figure out what connection I can use, since I'm using a mini-din to SCART currently.

I can have a custom cable built by Retro-access with mini din to VGA, but not 100 % sure if that would work with the HAS, or if there's an easier/cheaper method I can use.

How do you ouput into the RXI, are you using an HAS as well? Trying to figure out what connection I can use, since I'm using a mini-din to SCART currently.
I'm using a couple of different Japanese Superguns. They have SCART leads so I made a female SCART to male D-Sub 15 cable for my Extron.

Unfortunately the extron unit I have isn’t work, it’s got a humming sound when powered up and nothing from the output :(
I’m going to stick up a post in wanted and see if I can get one hopefully.

@Paul79 Do you know if there are any dipswitches on the PGM mobo that would change the sync output?
Not that I’m aware of sorry, I have tried my extron unit with my Neo Geo Aes and it works perfectly, So I’m wondering is it a cable problem on the jamma harness the rgb scart cable or a fault with the sigma raijin video board :(

Not that I’m aware of sorry, I have tried my extron unit with my Neo Geo Aes and it works perfectly, So I’m wondering is it a cable problem on the jamma harness the rgb scart cable or a fault with the sigma raijin video board :(
Which Extron unit are you using? I ordered a sync strike to process my scart cable to vga, so I'm hoping the SERR fix @Nimmers mentioned works with my 109 .

Im using an 580xi extron unit , hopefully the Serr setting fixes the issue for you I’m not sure what to try next ,

Back