What's new
The one I have is a 203rxi
Is the 203 rxi better than the 580xi? The 203 seems to the model everyone recommends to get.
I don't think so. Just check that it has that SERR dip switch. I think then203rxi is actually end of life and the 580xi is still a production model. Could be wrong on that.

EDIT: I looked and the 580xi has the SERR option.

While I'm still waiting on my Sync strike to get this hooked up with the Extron unit to my PVM, I tested it out with OSSC and it works great. So I suspect everything should be all good once I can process this with the SERR option.

IMG-1068.jpg

Last edited:
So I finally got my Sync Strike and Extron hooked up, and the situation is actually way worse now? I can't even get the PGM to sync with the monitor as the picture is completely scrambled. I tried with all settings on the Extron off except for SERR, as well as a few different combinations of switches and can't seem to get a solid sync signal. I'm at an absolute loss here, as EVERY other console or PCB I put in is working perfectly. Surely there must be some way to get the PGM sync to play nice with my PVM?

So I finally got my Sync Strike and Extron hooked up, and the situation is actually way worse now? I can't even get the PGM to sync with the monitor as the picture is completely scrambled. I tried with all settings on the Extron off except for SERR, as well as a few different combinations of switches and can't seem to get a solid sync signal. I'm at an absolute loss here, as EVERY other console or PCB I put in is working perfectly. Surely there must be some way to get the PGM sync to play nice with my PVM?
Sync Strike does nothing for the arcade stuff really. It's got the LM1881 chip that strips Composite Sync from Composite Video. The thing is, arcade PCBs already output the Composite Sync.

Sync Strike does nothing for the arcade stuff really. It's got the LM1881 chip that strips Composite Sync from Composite Video. The thing is, arcade PCBs already output the Composite Sync.
Yeah I basically only got the Sync Strike as a method of converting my GSCARTSW SCART output to VGA to go into the Extron, not necessarily to fix the sync issues. But it seems to have made the sync issues worse, which I don't quite understand.

Is the sync strike getting power from your supergun?

Yeah I basically only got the Sync Strike as a method of converting my GSCARTSW SCART output to VGA to go into the Extron, not necessarily to fix the sync issues. But it seems to have made the sync issues worse, which I don't quite understand.
A passive Scart to VGA might do the trick, you just need to check which pin of the VGA connector corresponds to "CSync" in Extron's RGBS input mode (I assume it's pin #13).

A passive Scart to VGA might do the trick, you just need to check which pin of the VGA connector corresponds to "CSync" in Extron's RGBS input mode (I assume it's pin #13).
Passive is what I'm using.

I got one of these: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=559

Cut that in half and use female SCART connectors to make yourself 2x SCART to D-SUB15 with audio.

Thanks guys. I have a custom 8 pin mini din to VGA cable on the way, so I'll try direct from the HAS to Extron when I get it. Not really sure why the sync strike would create even more problems though...I thought for my purposes it could work as a simple passthrough.
Is the sync strike getting power from your supergun?
Yeah should be. Sync strike is set to get power from SCART and power LED lights up, plus every console from the GSCARTSW to Extron works fine, including CPS2 board. Only the PGM seems to be affected :/

pcs6SWZ.jpg

The journey to get PGM on PVM is complete and it looks amazing! With the custom cable going straight to the Extron it works flawlessly and eliminates the bending at the top. Not sure if the GSCARTSW or the Sync Strike in the chain was causing the issues with the Extron, but hopefully this well help anyone else having this problem.

Looks Amazing glad you got it sorted picture is great , I’m waiting on a db15 cable to arrive and hopefully it will sort out my picture also.

One of my PGM conversion carts was showing garbled graphics. I recapped the cart, cleaned the edge connector, low and behold, the two plastic posts on the case that hold the pcb in place had a ton of play and the pcb wasn't seating well (note to self: start with the easy stuff first, doh). The pcb would slide back about 1/8th of an inch or so.

Had some UHMW Tape laying around and wrapped the posts in the cart case. Maybe this helps someone else with garbled graphics on one of their carts...The cases that came on my particular conversion carts were pretty beatup.

Easy fix :)

Back