What's new
I put together a EDIT: Link to cart removed. A whopping $4.26 in parts! Anyone care to critique it? Let me know if the tolerances I selected for resistors and capacitors are ok/correct.

Also, I added a right angle JST NH 5-position header in case Frank makes the output header 2.50mm spaced. They are OOS of the 4 position header so simple cutting of a single position will work for this purpose.

Last edited:
For fun & science, you could try to connect it via the low impedance and see if it syncs - from the data I have, it should.
Alright, for fun and science, when I put in the order at Digikey for the Sync Pulse Generator parts, I'll grab 330ohm resistors to knock down JAMMA video to 0.7vpp (will these work?). Will also grab a D-sub 15 female connector. Anything else I need to do to maybe with the sync signal before I connect the video to the D-sub 15 connection on the NNC?

Have done a bit more work to the PCB:

SYNC_RESTORE_02.png

Shoot, I should have seen this thread earlier - I made a PCB for this a little while ago. It's more or less the same deal as frank_fjs's pcb, so maybe there's no point in me digging it up.

I'd still like to see your PCB @Hatsune Mike :)

@acblunden2 are you happy with the PCB? Shall I go ahead and release the files or is there any other changes required?

Only thing I see is the 90 degree bend under C3 to pin 10 on IC1. I figured you'd get to that when you add in the 2nd layer. Looks great otherwise. Release the files!

I wouldn't mind seeing Mike's version either.

I can route that a little neater, but it shouldn't be a problem as is. Bottom layer is done, which contains the ground plane. I'll post a pic soon.

My laymen eyes can't make sense of it. Hoping someone else can chime in.

I am going to put an order in for the PCB's tonight with Osh Park. My laymen eyes can't validate if the PCB shall work as it should, but I trust Frank's skills (thank you sir!).

Also, going back to this part of the discussion earlier in this thread:
The CSYNC output of the mod is not regenerated, meaning KW0606 should in theory work with the F3 with no messing about at all.. This is via the DB15 connector.
Interestingly enough, I visited @'300wins'' and he had a Sanwa PFX setup and it worked just fine with a Taito F3; no Sync Pulse Generator needed. Same chassis revision as mine and JAMMA video was connected to the high impedence connection on the chassis just like mine. I was shocked. Hatsune Mike made a version of the Sync Pulse Generator which 300wins soldered to a fingerboard which he loaned to me for testing purposes.

Here is what Taito F3 video looks like on my Sanwa PFX without the Sync Pulse Generator:

TaitoF31.jpg

And here it is with the Sync Pulse Generator:

TaitoF33.jpg

300wins soldered the Sync Pulse Generator into a fingerboard, so his version is plug and play and made it easy for me to do testing. Here is what that looks like:

TaitoF34.jpg

It could be that not all Taito F3 boards are made the same and that could explain why 300wins F3 board works on his Sanwa PFX chassis and mine does not work on my Sanwa PFX chassis. Or it could be that not all Sanwa PFX chassis are the same even within the same revisions. I'll take my F3 over to 300wins' place when I return the Sync Pulse Generator and test my board on his Sanwa PFX to narrow down if it is the monitor or F3 revision that is the problem.

But, it is good to know that once I have fabbed the Sync Pulse Generator, it will solve for my problem. Will keep you guys posted.

Last edited:
I believe it's okay but always good to have a second set of eyes verify ones work. :)

Let me know how it pans out.

I ordered 9 units from Osh Park and enough parts from Digikey. 3 of them will go to 300wins. Will definitely keep you posted. Thank you sir.

Question for you Frank. Hoping to get schooled here in schematic reading and design. The schematic states the following:

"Ground to IC1 pin 8, IC2 pin 7
+5v to IC1 pin 16, IC2 pin 14
100nF decoupling between +5v
and ground recommended"

If I am not mistaken, +5v for your header goes right into C1 which is 100nF. Is this where the recommended decoupling is occurring?

syncfix-schematic.png

Yeah, so +5V goes straight to the 0.1uF cap and then branches off where it's needed. Guessing it's to act as a filter to reduce high frequency interference.

Back