What's new
so if red screen is a protection-check failure,
most likely problem is work ram or associated soldering??
If it's crashing...
Ram, level shifters, bios, CAT chips, CPU, Board "config" , termination resistors, SIO chip ..... etc
A nice load of shit to test, by running a few tests it's easy to narrow that down more.

@Hammy do you need my board? i still have it sitting on my shelf (along with too much other stuff :unsure:)

I don't _need_ it but know how to get it working again / if no good the top board is still useful :)
Have a think if you have too much junk maybe i have some working games to trade ;)

Aero fighters is patched now so the free repair offer with that one is off the table, (unless he can provide a tracking code date BEFORE the game was running) should of taken advantage there!
Aero still needs it's GAL dumped but as of now everyone can enjoy the game. Turns out learning the banking system a bit come in handy :)

@Hammy sorry to revive a dead thread. I am experiencing a red screen issue with my Rival Schools board, and this thread its the only discussion I can find talking about it on the whole web.

You mentioned way back in 2020 that 'the patch to "get past red screen" is contained in this file:'
Referencing a file containing some code with some interesting comments like:
m/* checked for explicitly ( skips red screen ) */

Could you please elaborate on the process of using this file to revive a dead board? I assuming the data need to be written to of the EPROMS? Sorry for my noobness. Thanks.

Test the romboard on a known good motherboard. RED screen is ZN2 specific. Be sure the motherboard is correct.

Test the romboard on a known good motherboard. RED screen is ZN2 specific. Be sure the motherboard is correct.
Hey thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that when I received the board it worked with some issues. originally it didn't output red and wouldn't respond to coin inputs. After cleaning the jamma connection these issues were resolved and it played for a few hours. Then red screen later in the day and ever since. I tried cleaning the board and reseating the ROMs to no avail. Maybe I messed something up while cleaning the board but I suspect it had issues before getting to me. I can confirm that the boards did work together at least for one day.

Thanks @Hammy

Back