What's new

brad808

Professional
Reaction score
Hello I have a street fighter ex board that only shows a red screen. Anyone see this before or know why?

Tried basic things:
- check voltages
- reseat ROMs

Also I'm sure it's the game board, there is no issue with cab. Thanks

dVOkL5i.jpg

zHcrDy3.jpg

If you have access to another Capcom ZN-1 game the first thing I would recommend is swapping the ROM board to determine if it's a ROM board or main board issue.

If it's a main board issue you can usually pick up a cheap Gallop Racer PCB to replace your faulty one.

Unfortunately just the one right now so no comparables.

One of the ones I sold @ekorz was doing this too iirc.
Sorry I wish I could help, I didn't get anywhere with it. I did send a few of those dead zn-1 pcb's over to @cpsystem3 who fixed a sync issue on one, but it wasn't a red screen issue.

Ok so as quick experiment I pulled the ROM board and just run mobo alone. She is only the red screen. I think this would lead to problem on mobo or what happens when it can't read ROM board, but my best guess is mobo.
Umq2Erh.jpg

Isn't this a common problem with ZN-2 based boards? I recall seeing @Apocalypse mention it before (I think)

Isn't this a common problem with ZN-2 based boards? I recall seeing @Apocalypse mention it before (I think)
Correct, I did mention it before. Unfortunately quite common and always the same story: motherboard completely stops to work one day for no reason and get stuck on that red screen of death.
I've never investigated to find what could be the cause, I'm thinking work RAM maybe.
I was about to have a look but then discovered I had a pile of dead motherboards but no romboards.

Ok thanks guys. I will toss on the shelf for now. I don't have the knowledge to troubleshoot that yet.

Same problem on my Plasma Sword2 and the Sonic Wings Limited edition

Can the motherboard be reflow or something

Same problem with my Rival schools that was working really well and stopped yesterday... Why we don't any any information about this board? :(

the psx based games have a number of common problems.
1: leaking smd capacitors.
2: physical damage to the cpu/gpu pins.

i dont know why so many of them have pin damage, but out of maybe 10 i have - around 7 had damage and 2 needed new chips. (missing legs)

I'm having this issue as well, SF EX2 Plus. It's the ROM board. I tried swapping with motherboard with another SF EX2 and the EX2 Plus rom board still gave me a red screen. Worked the last time I tried it, which was a few months ago. Would anyone happen to have any more info about this?

Sonic Wings Limited edition
I will repair this for free just to have a bit of access or buy if you are selling - i NEED this rom board for GAL dump etc :D

street fighter ex
I can fix those too but not the ZN2's. The "fix" is not a magic thing that can help anyone really... it's called running "test code" with a modified rom.

Sonic Wings Limited edition
I will repair this for free just to have a bit of access or buy if you are selling - i NEED this rom board for GAL dump etc :D

street fighter ex
I can fix those too but not the ZN2's. The "fix" is not a magic thing that can help anyone really... it's called running "test code" with a modified rom.
Maybe Darksoft & Apocalypse can do this ✌️

so if red screen is a protection-check failure,
most likely problem is work ram or associated soldering??

Back